The Music Thread

darksabre

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

One of my older kids put me onto this tune, albeit inadvertently. No idea who this dude is -- but this stuff is tight as hell.

I just read a whole book on the history of prog rock - but didn't see this outfit mentioned. Who are they?

Steps Ahead. They were more jazz fusion. I saw this version of them at the Tralf when I was in High school.

I mean, how could midi vibes be anything but awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

And Michael Brecker was actually involved in developing the EWI at the time. You can hear it go out every once in a while and he has to dial it back in.

Love the EWI. Never had one.. I do have my Yamaha wx5 though. ?

Just now, WildCard said:

Anyone else get into different music moods when the weather changes? Fall is all about punk rock and slow, heavy rap for me

I tend to get really into folk during the winter. 

I will also have one week during January where I'm really into Rush. 

Just now, darksabre said:

I tend to get really into folk during the winter. 

I will also have one week during January where I'm really into Rush. 

That last part is pretty great ?

Fall -> punk rock and slow rap

Winter -> indie pop, relaxed electronic music

Spring -> country, upbeat rap, 80s pop, current pop

Summer -> honestly what would be characterized as frat bro rap, island electronic music/mashups, country, hip hop

Aloha folks. I've been lurking for the better part of ten years, and figured it was time to actually contribute to a board I read multiple times a day. Why the music thread, you may ask? With work, a wife, and an infant, I had to give up my subscription to CenterIce and, quite frankly, I'm ***** intimidated by everyone's great and insightful analysis, and I have been for some time. I can't compete. But, I can still listen to music, about which I am very passionate. For a fall album, Ray LaMontagne's Orobrous is fantastic. The second half of the album is magic.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, His Terbness said:

Aloha folks. I've been lurking for the better part of ten years, and figured it was time to actually contribute to a board I read multiple times a day. Why the music thread, you may ask? With work, a wife, and an infant, I had to give up my subscription to CenterIce and, quite frankly, I'm ***** intimidated by everyone's great and insightful analysis, and I have been for some time. I can't compete. But, I can still listen to music, about which I am very passionate. For a fall album, Ray LaMontagne's Orobrous is fantastic. The second half of the album is magic.  

Welcome aboard... keep posting even if it is only music.

@His Terbness Welcome!!

Really: No need to be intimidated. I have no training or expertise, other than being a fan. I have only a novice’s understanding of fancy stats. I just post based on what I see, think, and feel — and then I try to keep an open mind. Post away!!

As for the music clip: I can’t play it right now. Is this guy the Americana roots performer? The guy who — confession time — I thought was an actor who famously depicted mobsters in movies. It must be a mashup of Ray Liotta and some other similar name (can’t think of what it’d be).

19 hours ago, His Terbness said:

Welcome!

Keep posting,… and not just about music. Don't be intimidated. Just remember, the smartest guy in the world about hockey, is still just the smartest guy in the world about hockey.

Going to a beer festival in a couple of weeks. 3 cover bands playing. One does modern country, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. Another one, Zoso is, apparently one of the best Led Zeppelin tribute bands in the country. But the real kicker, the entire reason I'm going.... Hootie!

On 10/20/2018 at 6:44 PM, ubkev said:

Discovered by Eazy-E. 

Huh.

Within the past year, I was reminded of the stories about how Eazy didn't write his own rhymes -- mainly Ice Cube did. Then, a few weeks later, I had NWA streaming and heard Eazy say as much in a rapped lyric. There are plenty of famous singers who were not songwriters (in fact, that used to be the norm); I hadn't really thought of it in terms of rap, though. Eazy's a great example, though. Terrific and fun rapper with a great sound (let's forget and just bury the misogynistic stuff, though) -- but he mostly didn't write his own stuff.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Huh.

Within the past year, I was reminded of the stories about how Eazy didn't write his own rhymes -- mainly Ice Cube did. Then, a few weeks later, I had NWA streaming and heard Eazy say as much in a rapped lyric. There are plenty of famous singers who were not songwriters (in fact, that used to be the norm); I hadn't really thought of it in terms of rap, though. Eazy's a great example, though. Terrific and fun rapper with a great sound (let's forget and just bury the misogynistic stuff, though) -- but he mostly didn't write his own stuff.

"Ice Cube writes the rhymes that I say. Hail to the n***** from C.I.A." - Eazy E - 8 Ball

Actually, I may have mentioned that sometime in this thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:09 PM, BagBoy said:

Pink Floyd live in Pompeii...Echoes part I

Early Pink Floyd is kind of amazing.  Dark Side of the Moon was a demarcation in their career as a band:  It's when they arrived "fully formed".  Prior to that they varied all over the place (in part because of the advent and then departure of Syd Barrett and subsequent evolution).  Pompeii was filmed as they were developing Dark Side, although the original release of the film contained no Dark Side material (studio footage of Dark Side songs appears in later releases of the film).  So Pompeii ties off the early career of the band as an experimental jam band, and Dark Side of the Moon marks their entry into (and the beginning of their influence of) mainstream rock music.

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

My brother just got a Grammy nomination. Pretty F'N cool.

Wow!  Congrats to him.  My bro-in-law was with a band that got a Grammy nomination.  Pretty exciting stuff.