The Music Thread

darksabre

Don’t go for Marshall Tucker Band. Saw them last Summer. Dude is terrible. He’s a zombie at this point and sounds like one. He passes off half the vocals to a band member and it’s a cover band at that point. Go see a bar cover band and pass on the cover charge.

You’re welcome.

We'll it'd be free, but thanks for the heads up. It's a shame that the singing voice is a perishable skill. Happens to everyone eventually. I mean, I only wanna hear 3 songs and he doesn't even sing one of them lol.

We'll it'd be free, but thanks for the heads up. It's a shame that the singing voice is a perishable skill. Happens to everyone eventually. I mean, I only wanna hear 3 songs and he doesn't even sing one of them lol.

On that note. I heard the new David Byrne yesterday. Didn't know it was him until it was over. It was,… awful. Not sure if it would have changed my opinion had I known.

On that note. I heard the new David Byrne yesterday. Didn't know it was him until it was over. It was,… awful. Not sure if it would have changed my opinion had I known.

I saw a clip of him doing Naive Melody on his current tour... cringe-inducing. He’s one of my musical heroes, but man...

Down here in the Big Easy we metal harder than elsewhere... not for the faint of heart... crazy heavy (i.e., most will hate this)... listen at your cost of your eardrums... (this thread crosses genres, so I though I'd throw another one out there)

Nice!!! We just saw Slayer's retirement tour about two weeks ago when they came to VA. 

Here's one I've been listening to for a while now: 

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Nice!!! We just saw Slayer's retirement tour about two weeks ago when they came to VA. 

Here's one I've been listening to for a while now: 

Good stuff! Got an old school thrash sound (which I've been listening to since the mid-80's). I've never heard of this band and can't find much on them online.

Good stuff! Got an old school thrash sound (which I've been listening to since the mid-80's). I've never heard of this band and can't find much on them online.

Toranaga had two albums between the late 80’s/early 90’s: Bastard Ballads and God’s Gift. They broke up for about 20 years then came back with “Righteous Retribution.” I first heard them when I saw their video for “The Shrine” on Headbangers Ball back in the early 90’s. You can find their stuff on YouTube.

Saw the Rebirth Brass Band at the Maple Leaf bar in uptown New Orleans this evening. Rebirth on a Tuesday at the Leaf is just something you have to do down here.

Nice! I can definitely see the appeal. I went to New Orleans for the first time two years ago, I'd love to go back. I'm still craving a Ferdi and Shrimp Po' Boy from Mother's. 

What other metal bands are you into? Some of my favorites are: Slayer, Testament, Wrathchild America/Souls at Zero, M.O.D./S.O.D., Danzig, Samhain, Misfits, Megadeth. I got tickets this summer to see The Offspring and Ozzy's retirement tour. 

Toranaga had two albums between the late 80’s/early 90’s: Bastard Ballads and God’s Gift. They broke up for about 20 years then came back with “Righteous Retribution.” I first heard them when I saw their video for “The Shrine” on Headbangers Ball back in the early 90’s. You can find their stuff on YouTube.

A bit like Exhorder down here in New Orleans. They put out two fantastic riff-heavy albums in the late 80's / early 90's then just recently got back together. When Pantera changed from a hair band to a much angrier sound back in the early 90's, the main influence was Exhorder (specifically on Phil's vocals).

The New Orleans metal scene is one of the best IMHO and I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of the reasons I moved down here. Crowbar (my favorite band of all-time), Down, Goatwhore, Eyehategod, Superjoint, Soilent Green, Exhorder, Arson Anthem, Acid Bath (now defunct), Graveyard Rodeo, etc. Many of the same musicians in these bands.

There are a few newer bands brining back the old school thrash sound. Power Trip, Iron Reagan, Lazarus AD, Havok, etc. Good stuff.

Here's some old Exhorder from, like, 30 years ago. The sound quality is crap, but they were way ahead of their time...

A bit like Exhorder down here in New Orleans. They put out two fantastic riff-heavy albums in the late 80's / early 90's then just recently got back together. When Pantera changed from a hair band to a much angrier sound back in the early 90's, the main influence was Exhorder (specifically on Phil's vocals).

The New Orleans metal scene is one of the best IMHO and I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of the reasons I moved down here. Crowbar (my favorite band of all-time), Down, Goatwhore, Eyehategod, Superjoint, Soilent Green, Exhorder, Arson Anthem, Acid Bath (now defunct), Graveyard Rodeo, etc. Many of the same musicians in these bands.

There are a few newer bands brining back the old school thrash sound. Power Trip, Iron Reagan, Lazarus AD, Havok, etc. Good stuff.

Here's some old Exhorder from, like, 30 years ago. The sound quality is crap, but they were way ahead of their time...

Holy crap, that guy sounds exactly like Phil Anselmo!

I've seen Crowbar a few times in concert whenever they opened for other bands. The guys in the band are very cool. I've seen Pantera, Superjoint and Hellyeah in concert, but haven't seen Down. It's a shame both Abbott brothers are gone now. I have a couple songs from Power Trip on my phone. Exmortus is another good (newer) thrash band. I'm hoping to see them again when they come to Richmond next month. Demolition Hammer is doing a show in Baltimore next month, I haven't seen them since 1991 when they opened for Malevolent Creation and Devastation, so I'm hoping to go to that show as well.

I love going to Haunted Halloween places. 13th Gate in Baton Rouge and The House of Shock in New Orleans are in my Top 3 favorites. Whenever I go back to New Orleans, I plan to go in October so I can go back to both places. 

Here's a newer thrash band called Lich King. In "Thrash Resurgence," the singer's voice sounds a lot like Billy Milano from M.O.D./S.O.D.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Noticed the ol' Soccer thread has become a club now. Are we leaning towards putting anything non-hockey related into club form?

The whiskey and food threads shall not die.  I won't let them.

14 hours ago, WildCard said:

Noticed the ol' Soccer thread has become a club now. Are we leaning towards putting anything non-hockey related into club form?

I think that was kind of the idea, but am not sure.

Did you join the Soccer Club?  It's generally free, but I will make a one time offer for you Charlie ... $100 to the charity of my choice.