Mactavish fired

wonderbread

linker stinker

3rd year no playoffs.

telling quote...

"When you evolve from a team that would lay it all on the line and then you try to integrate a bunch of skill, it's got to be productive," he said. "Virtually all year, we're trying to get nonconfrontational players into confrontational areas where we're going to score goals. It was a losing battle from a lot of perspectives."

linker stinker

3rd year no playoffs.

telling quote...

"When you evolve from a team that would lay it all on the line and then you try to integrate a bunch of skill, it's got to be productive," he said. "Virtually all year, we're trying to get nonconfrontational players into confrontational areas where we're going to score goals. It was a losing battle from a lot of perspectives."

uh! gosh does that sound familiar. Time to move some guys....Stafford is tops on my list. His "I'll play when I want to play" performance has to go.

Maybe here in Buffalo? (Hint, hint.)

Why would he accept a position here when he feels that the reason he lost in Edmonton was that he was asking players to play in positions they weren't comfortable in? As mentioned earlier in this topic this is exactly the problem Ruff is having. I'm assuming if the Sabres do fire Ruff they won't make major changes to this roster. IMO, the Sabres are still looking for one party (either GM, coach, or players) to blame and change rather than do a major overhaul of the entire club.

linker stinker

3rd year no playoffs.

telling quote...

Adding Kotalik didn't help either...

Stanley Cup finals 2006, no playoffs three years in a row.

If Ruff is going it'll be soon

Ruff to Edmonton, MacTavish to Buffalo?

I still say if Darcy or Ruff go they'll go at the same time or stay together. IMO, Quinn should go first, but that's not happening.

uh! gosh does that sound familiar. Time to move some guys....Stafford is tops on my list. His "I'll play when I want to play" performance has to go.

Definitely time to unload half the brat pack, and I don't care if we call up guys from Portland to replace them.

These guys are going nowhere in terms of development, so I wouldn't even consider it taking a step back.

I agree with your assessment of his attitude. I also think earler this yr when the Sabres dropped alot of games, Miller had a similiar cocky chip off the shoulder attitide. Isn't Stafford, Millers drinking buddy? Maybe he is on the untouchable list because of his buddy? I heard from family members they can party it up big on Chippawa, I wonder if it affects thier play the next day?

Adding Kotalik didn't help either...

they play all offensive and i admire that. however, kotalik was a great pick up for them. fact, they have too many skilled forwards, however, kotalik will be a guy they will try to bring back. mactavish is a very good coach, but if i had to pick lindy or mactavish, lindy ruff would win every single time. it's no contest.

Definitely time to unload half the brat pack, and I don't care if we call up guys from Portland to replace them.

These guys are going nowhere in terms of development, so I wouldn't even consider it taking a step back.

When good players stop developing, shouldn't we look to the coach/system?

I guess that's the debate...another question is did scouting and management just miss on some of these picks. Maybe someone can get more out of these guys, but I think history has shown that Ruff got more out of less before the lockout.

I've been as critical of Bucky Gleason as the next guy, but I thought his column today on Lindy was right on. Lindy ain't the problem. It's the keystone kops at the top.

stinky link

Watching the playoffs, with Drury, Briere, Soupy, Grier, McKee (and you can include Bernier, Pyatt and Marty if you like)...it makes me realize that it's just been one blunder after another. Yes, there were various circumstances each time, but holy cow what a CF.

EDIT: and Wideman

I've been as critical of Bucky Gleason as the next guy, but I thought his column today on Lindy was right on. Lindy ain't the problem. It's the keystone kops at the top.

stinky link

Watching the playoffs, with Drury, Briere, Soupy, Grier, McKee (and you can include Bernier, Pyatt and Marty if you like)...it makes me realize that it's just been one blunder after another. Yes, there were various circumstances each time, but holy cow what a CF.

So any player who leaves Buffalo and makes the playoffs somewhere else represents a blunder? Half the teams make the playoffs! I think you're implying these players were instrumental in their teams making the postseason.

I wish Bucky would make up his mind! He's had more positions on the Sabres the last month than John Kerry has. He voted for Regier before he voted against him.

So any player who leaves Buffalo and makes the playoffs somewhere else represents a blunder? Half the teams make the playoffs! I think you're implying these players were instrumental in their teams making the postseason.

I wish Bucky would make up his mind! He's had more positions on the Sabres the last month than John Kerry has. He voted for Regier before he voted against him.

I recall some glowering columns during the last few years but even Bucky knows when the milk has spoiled.

stinky link

I do feel bad that hotbeds like Minnesota and Edmonton along with Buffalo have been laced with mediocrity. I think most of you will agree that NHL franchises each have their own method of operations and histories for better or worse. The buck needs to stop somewhere in Buffalo, but in retrospect; I think it already has. Drury and Briere in either combination of going will go down as the turning point in the big picture. These "youth" long-term signing have come across as a stretch lately with limited productivity and uncertain potential. Apparently the raw talent has been evaluated as being there; it would lie on the coaching staff to maximize it's potential drawing that talent out and maintaining the focus on the ultimate goal on a daily basis.

I agree with your assessment of his attitude. I also think earler this yr when the Sabres dropped alot of games, Miller had a similiar cocky chip off the shoulder attitide. Isn't Stafford, Millers drinking buddy? Maybe he is on the untouchable list because of his buddy? I heard from family members they can party it up big on Chippawa, I wonder if it affects thier play the next day?

Does he party with these guys as well? I read on the Sabres official website last year that Stafford really likes their music. Maybe the music messes with his head like death metal does to Lydman.

I do feel bad that hotbeds like Minnesota and Edmonton along with Buffalo have been laced with mediocrity. I think most of you will agree that NHL franchises each have their own method of operations and histories for better or worse. The buck needs to stop somewhere in Buffalo, but in retrospect; I think it already has. Drury and Briere in either combination of going will go down as the turning point in the big picture. These "youth" long-term signing have come across as a stretch lately with limited productivity and uncertain potential. Apparently the raw talent has been evaluated as being there; it would lie on the coaching staff to maximize it's potential drawing that talent out and maintaining the focus on the ultimate goal on a daily basis.

You double-posted.

Sounds plausible to me but as most of you here know, I don't think it stops with Ruff.

The entire coaching staff is to blame here, and the GM for allowing what should be this teams lifeblood, since our mission is to build from within, to be in such poor condition.

Seriously, how many guys have we "developed" over the past 10 years that turned into really good players?

Jay McKee turned out pretty well, Ryan Miller's looking good, Roy's acceptable and up until this season, so was Pominville.

I don't want to hear about the rest of the brat pack, cause at this point, no they are NOT good players. They are talented and very inconsistent players, every single one.

Vanek's turning into a pretty good goalscorer, but I cringe when I hear Ruff talk about how he wants him to become the best two-way player in the game.

Sorry Lindy, but you've officially lost it - A guy with Vanek's hands is just not someone you waste away on checking duties. Sure, he needs to be good enough defensively not to be too much of a liability in his own end, but Vanek needs to play in the OTHER teams zone. Also, I've never heard of a two-way forward being paid 7 mill. a year, but in this day in age who knows?

Who else?

* Forgot Brian Campbell as one of our better players.

Archived