• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Should he remain, Captain?

• Yes
    • No

I liked the conversation in some other threads from Rickshaw and others in concern with the locker room being too buddy-buddy and one another not calling each other out.

My reflection on Rivet's tenure has only been the few comments in regards to Ruff and how some guys are not living up to potential and/or expectations. Whether or not guys to him with a grain of salt, and anything was said in this vein. I guess is the question.

Maybe it's not the style, but I didnt recall too many "closed door" or "players only" meetings.

Considering he was probably our second best defensemen all year, played tough, wasn't afraid to drop the gloves or stick up for people. I'd say his play was good and we really don't know what goes on in the locker room... One thing that is for sure, is that nobody else stepped up and really shown that they should be captain. Atleast I can't think of anyone...

I gave him a C(more of a B-/C+) for his play. Whether it was injury related or not, IMO his play for the most part during the first 65 games or so of the year was below par. In the last month or so, I thought he picked up his play and his skating seemed to be better.

As far as Rivet's captaincy goes, I don't see any reason to give someone else the "C" that is currently on the team. If Gaustad was more consistent with his game(instead I believe his physical game has regressed over the last couple of years), I'd slap the "C" on him in a heartbeat.

C, Yes.

He has been a leader on the ice, but that hasn't translated in the locker room. This team is just as uninspired and lazy as it was when he arrived here.

I was hoping he'd be a force in the locker room, but my impressions is that he's pretty damn quiet in there. He speaks volumes on the ice though. He'll drop the gloves to defend any Sabre, and that's admirable. Considering all this, I rate him at a "C" in terms of his captaincy. Perhaps he is now familiar enough with the team after one year, and has enough confidence to begin reigning the team next season. We shall see.

I think his play was a C and that translates into effective leadership. It's tough to lead when the leader himself is having a pretty inconsistent year. Granted, this team is not as talented as San Jose and that likely reflects the drop in his numbers. However, I do like his style of play and I like how he gets involved offensively. I would definitely say that he was the second best defenseman on the team to Spacek, and I would like to see him playing a bit more at critical times such as at the end of games and more PK time. I feel that he needs to have more ice time for his game to flourish and I think he can more effectively lead if he's playing in the 20-22 minutes instead of in the 17-19 minute range.

I don't see anyone else who can effectively captain this team. They need someone who can hold them accountable, and from where I sit, he seems like the right guy. I think Goose should be wearing a letter next year, not Hecht nor Pominville. Those guys need to worry about playing. I think Goose's play is what shows leadership, and I want Goose wearing an A next year, for sure.

I am not sure what all it means to be a captain. Remember, this team once had Hecht as team captain. Rivet was a decent player at times this year, and I was pretty excited about him early on. He seemed agressive and firey....not unlike our head coach, when he was a team captain all those years ago...but, then, he just kind of went through stretches, like the rest of the team, where he just disappeared...it happened when this team needed a kick in the ass so badly... I don't want to go back to the past, but, even when Drury and Briere weren't being particularly productive, stat wise, their prescience was noticed on the ice. I am not sure I can say the same for Rivet. All in all, he had an okay season, but wasn't what I was expecting... to name him captain, before ever skating a shift with the team, is a pretty big statement. Rivet was hardly the most disappointing Sabre this year (in fact he would be on the plus side of the ledger for me), but I think the Sabres need more. I will never understand Lindy's thinking process when it comes to picking a captain... Jochen Hecht?

Are we voting on his play or on his "captainship".

Play B, at best. Plays smart hockey and fights.

Captain, meh, does it really matter with this team who's got the C?

I'm with you on the captain point. Its just a letter with this team. Its not like it means anything. At least not the same as it does to teams with captains like,ewwww,Jarome Iglina.

I give Rivet a C +.

Positives:

He plays well in his own end. He plays physical. And he gives the forwards someone to rely on.

Negatives:

His injuries were not helpful at all. And in part,they led to some inconsistency that you should not get out of a veteran d man.

And no i dont think he should captain the team next season. If management doesn't shake things up with the roster,than at least give the C to a player whos been here for a while.

Honk,Honk=(hint,hint)

I like Rivet's heart. He is one of the few Sabres to head TOWARDS a scrum. But talent-wise, he is average at best. And on most teams, but not all, the captain is their best player. Since our most talented players, Vanek and Connolly, are not captain material, I'd give it to the Goose. And please cut Hecht, before I explode in frustration having to watch that hack. He is God-awful.

I gave him a B. I wasn't sure whether the grade was supposed to be for leadership or for play, but I think he merits about a B for both. That knee surgery certainly hindered his play, but I thought overall he played pretty well. And I did feel that he added leadership and toughness to a blueline that had about zero of both. There were too many terrible showings by the team, however, to give him any better than a B for leadership.

Overall, I'm happy with him as the captain and I agree with Goose wearing an "A" next year.

I gave him a B. I wasn't sure whether the grade was supposed to be for leadership or for play, but I think he merits about a B for both. That knee surgery certainly hindered his play, but I thought overall he played pretty well. And I did feel that he added leadership and toughness to a blueline that had about zero of both. There were too many terrible showings by the team, however, to give him any better than a B for leadership.

Overall, I'm happy with him as the captain and I agree with Goose wearing an "A" next year.

Or give Rivet an A and Goose the C. :thumbsup:

I gave him a C and a NO for captaincy next year. He would have received an A+ if he played consistently all season the way he started. He only showed real fire a handful of times and I never really saw him as an on ice leader. I say give the C to Gaustad next year.

I gave him a C and a NO for captaincy next year. He would have received an A+ if he played consistently all season the way he started. He only showed real fire a handful of times and I never really saw him as an on ice leader. I say give the C to Gaustad next year.

I disagree with your C and with your "no" for next year, but at least those responses are consistent with one another. Here's what I really find interesting: According to the current poll totals, 40 people want Rivet to be captain next year, but only 27 people gave him an A or a B. That means that at least 13 people graded him a C or lower, but still want him to be captain next year. Huh?

I disagree with your C and with your "no" for next year, but at least those responses are consistent with one another. Here's what I really find interesting: According to the current poll totals, 40 people want Rivet to be captain next year, but only 27 people gave him an A or a B. That means that at least 13 people graded him a C or lower, but still want him to be captain next year. Huh?

This is sabrespace, it doesnt have to make sense.............

Are we voting on his play or on his "captainship".

Play B, at best. Plays smart hockey and fights.

Captain, meh, does it really matter with this team who's got the C?

I actually think it matters very little - but gives the franchise a face.

Mostly it means who talks to refs on behalf of the team,

and who goes to the coach/Gm on behalf of the players.

We've seen it all.....double captains, rotating captains, permanent captain.....

The designations are fun.....but I think only a few franchises is it really meaningful...

Iginla, Arnot, Koivu, Neidemeyer, Sakic, Brindamour, and Lindstom, ....maybe Marleau .....the rest are decorations.

I actually think it matters very little - but gives the franchise a face.

Mostly it means who talks to refs on behalf of the team,

and who goes to the coach/Gm on behalf of the players.

We've seen it all.....double captains, rotating captains, permanent captain.....

The designations are fun.....but I think only a few franchises is it really meaningful...

Iginla, Arnot, Koivu, Neidemeyer, Sakic, Brindamour, and Lindstom, ....maybe Marleau .....the rest are decorations.

I think it matters where the captain is a real blood-and-guts type, like Brenden Morrow or Ryan Smyth.

I gave a B, more like B-. Thought his injury hurt his effort and lack of puck carrying ability. But he was steady with the other young defensemen he often was paired with. As far as captain goes, I was stumped to think of anyone deserving, but at least make Kaleta an Assistant Captain. He, Mair and Ellis were the only ones consistently putting out effort.

Injuries to key players including Rivet included Miller, Tallinder again, Hecht, Connolly as usual Vanek, Gaustad, Roy as well as Rivet. Paille rarely played up to his promise and there was very few guys that scored regularly. I am not sure what can be done about the injuries... is the way the Sabres play? or their conditioning, but after viewing Stafford in person, the team could use some bulk.

I gave a B, more like B-. Thought his injury hurt his effort and lack of puck carrying ability. But he was steady with the other young defensemen he often was paired with. As far as captain goes, I was stumped to think of anyone deserving, but at least make Kaleta an Assistant Captain.

Kaleta with his 8 minutes of ice time ....... :beer:

Archived