Sabres Sign Numminen

Guest Cesna

I guess it's a good move...I doubt we overpaid and we filled a glaring weakness..but hard to get too excited about a 37 year old that's clearly on the downside of his career...especially when Roman Hamrlik was still out there.

I'm just hoping we can trade Biron for a top 4 defenseman (perhaps to Tampa for Kubina or Sydor if the "Bulin Wall" leaves for Chicago)...I also hear that Philly will be moving DesJardins (sp?) to clear some cap space, and if Roenick goes to LA, the Kings will need to cut salary, so Miller could be gone...

I guess it's a good move...I doubt we overpaid and we filled a glaring weakness..but hard to get too excited about a 37 year old that's clearly on the downside of his career...especially when Roman Hamrlik was still out there.

I'm just hoping we can trade Biron for a top 4 defenseman (perhaps to Tampa for Kubina or Sydor if the "Bulin Wall" leaves for Chicago)...I also hear that Philly will be moving DesJardins (sp?) to clear some cap space, and if Roenick goes to LA, the Kings will need to cut salary, so Miller could be gone...

I'm tending to agree that biron needs to be traded. Unfortunately, with the 3 headed goalie snake that we have, its like rolling the dice on someone who can carry the sabres if they go on a playoff run.

Guest GTsnowracer

I have heard that we are going after Miller. But, that will have to be in a trade, so I don't really know who we can give up for him. Think they will take Biron and/or Connelly for Miller? I guess we need to root for the Roenick trade to make this happen.

Guest Rhett4
Also posted this at twobillsdrive....

I'll be interested to see the contract details. Here is what Teppo made the last few years...

1999-00 2,250,000

2000-01 4,500,000

2001-02 4,750,000

2002-03 4,750,000

2003-04 4,500,000

Guessing less than 2 million.

1) Biron has to be the odd man out...Mika makes a fraction of what Marty makes, and Miller is clearly our "goalie of the future" (at least for now) - Biron's a great guy, but he's too inconsistent and makes too much money...hopefully someone will be desperate enough to take him off our hands...I'm thinking Tampa may be that team, if the Bulin Wall leaves for greener pastures (the free agent goalie crop is pretty thin)

2) Teppo signed for only ONE YEAR...I'm never going to play poker with Regier..this guy makes Peca sit for a year, rapes teams at the trade deadline on a regular basis (at the 11th hour), and now gets Numminen to sign a 1 year deal, when everyone else is signing 4 and 5 year contracts..he has to be the most stubborn, brass-balled GM in the league (either that, or he's just slow and indecisive)

Guest Guest
They don't call Regier the "Iron Man" ('79-'80) for nothing, with heavy boots of lead, and thoughts of vengance running through his head.

dregierindy.jpg

O MY GOD!!!! THAT IS F'IN SCARY. WHAT A FREAK.

I'm tending to agree that biron needs to be traded. Unfortunately, with the 3 headed goalie snake that we have, its like rolling the dice on someone who can carry the sabres if they go on a playoff run.

Just looked at LAs roster, and as far as I can tell they really have NO, as in Zero, goalies under contract. Checkmanek is unrestricted, but that is it unless one of their restricted players is a goalie, and if so it is someone i have never heard of. So, if they do need to dump a little salary now with JR, Biron may get the call to head to the west coast, and welcome home Aaron Miller!!!!!

Just looked at LAs roster, and as far as I can tell they really have NO, as in Zero, goalies under contract. Checkmanek is unrestricted, but that is it unless one of their restricted players is a goalie, and if so it is someone i have never heard of. So, if they do need to dump a little salary now with JR, Biron may get the call to head to the west coast, and welcome home Aaron Miller!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing, but they do have Mathieu Garon, who I think is the #1, which is why they let Cechmanek walk...anyone from LA out there that can shed some light on the goalie situation?

Guest Guest
I was thinking the same thing, but they do have Mathieu Garon, who I think is the #1, which is why they let Cechmanek walk...anyone from LA out there that can shed some light on the goalie situation?

Alright, heres this guys pro stats. Just thinking they might need some Netminder help.

Season Club GP MIN GA SO AVG SV% SA

NHL Totals 24 1332 59 4 2.66 .909 3969

The Kings just signed Jason LaBarbera as a UFA from the Rangers, but he isn't a #1 goalie, and neither is Garon. I would say that they are still in need of a top flight netminder but they now have 2 goalies. Unless one is destined for the minors...if I was GM, I'd still be shopping.

Archived