Does this collapse have a root from Rivet being Captain?

Chief Enabler

I'll tell you what...Rivet isn't exactly leading by example. I've questioned since he came back if his knee is still bothering him. He looks slow, is even less physical than I thought he was coming in(I was not fooled by the preseason fights which led some to believe we traded for Phanuef not Rivet) and is not even making good plays with the puck from time to time.

At the very least for 3.5+ per year, I expected a guy who was really solid in his own end, would take the body(not even in a crushing check kind of way, just win the battles along the boards) and would chip in on the PP.

I know there are some here who disagree, but I would sign Lydman to an extension in the off-season and build the defense around him.

Tallinder...trade him ASAP

Spacek...trade him at the deadline if we are out of it or let him walk at the end of the season

Teppo...should not have been brought back. I can hear DR telling us that he really believed bring Teppo back would make a difference

Sekera...obviously stays

Paetsch...can he get in the lineup and play a game or two to spell the Marlboro Man or whomever else is sucking at the current moment.

Rivet...maybe there is more than meets the eye?

Except for Lydman and Spacek from time to time, they don't block shots, aren't physical, are prone to brain cramps and just don't seem to have their heads in the game.

I know there are some here who disagree, but I would sign Lydman to an extension in the off-season and build the defense around him.

Spacek...trade him at the deadline if we are out of it or let him walk at the end of the season

Teppo...should not have been brought back. I can hear DR telling us that he really believed bring Teppo back would make a difference

Sekera...obviously stays

Paetsch...can he get in the lineup and play a game or two to spell the Marlboro Man or whomever else is sucking at the current moment.

Except for Lydman and Spacek from time to time, they don't block shots, aren't physical, are prone to brain cramps and just don't seem to have their heads in the game.

I agree on Lydman

I dont know why Rivet was deemed captain, and I am curious if we will be rotating this year, and why? Shouldve just started the season with Poms IMO. I just get the sense the opinion is "Who the F$%^ is this guy".

Tallinder,

Teppo (our all-star)

and Paetsch are not the answers to be competitive.

Down the line, its Weber/Butler, Card and Funk? how's that make you feel?

Down the line, its Weber/Butler, Card and Funk? how's that make you feel?

Card is not in the equation at all and Funk maybe has the potential to be a 5-6-7 guy. You didn't mention Gragnani with good reason, he should be a forward.

Weber, Butler, Scheistel, Brennan & Myers are the prospects at the top of the list. Unfortunately, the latter 3 are at least 2-3 years away.

The players voted Rivet as captain.

Is that a sign of insecurity from the get go? blame the new guy! and Lindy is off the hook here on this one; will he fix it?

Now what? Rivet becomes ineffective and miseable?

I am sure captaincy isnt the biggest deal, but if your preaching to deaf ears, whats the point?

This is just crazy Rivet is still hurt IMO. Also by him calling out players is just what this team needs. How long will they just sit around playing "pond" hockey until they realize that it wont work anymore? They need someone to wake them up and we know Ruff has problems getting his point across to his teams and Darcy isn't going to make any trades so by Rivet getting out in the open his is attemtping to fix this problem NOW instead of in Feb. when the playoffs are already out of reach.

This might not be a fair comparison and my memory might be off but I remember the 94 rangers and the huge trades they made in the early part of the season because they saw that the guys they had couldn't and wouldn't play the style that could win them the cup. You could say they traded away talent for key players that fit the system and added grit and leadership what everyone has been saying this team needs. No way Darcy does this but I feel this is what that locker room needs.

Card is not in the equation at all and Funk maybe has the potential to be a 5-6-7 guy. You didn't mention Gragnani with good reason, he should be a forward.

Weber, Butler, Scheistel, Brennan & Myers are the prospects at the top of the list. Unfortunately, the latter 3 are at least 2-3 years away.

I dont have a problem with philosophy of the veteran/youngster; Spacek/Sekera, Rivet/Weber, or Lydman/Butler eventually. But with injuries, etc. I think we still need a FA in the loop. All said, if you want this team to be competitive, make the playoffs, and a run. I want it fixed, and I want it now.

Weber should be up playing with the Sabres. He has more backbone than all our d-men put together right now.

As for the pond style of play? It is what it is. When most of your team is made up of pond hockey type players, that's the style you'll get as a team. You can't polish a turd. The NHL is going back to the tighter checking, more physical style of play. The players are getting bigger and stronger again as well. The Sabres look to still be building for the "new style" NHL that is all but gone already. It may be time to rebuild around Vanek and.....and.....and.....well, Vanek I guess.

Anyone notice last night how when Peters hits one Bruin, two more come rushing in to his aide? When is the last time a Sabre really stood up for another Sabre since the Isles game in the beginning of the year?

I think Rivet being made captain is not the problem, but rather is a symptom of the problem -- which is the utter lack of leadership and mental toughness elsewhere in the locker room. Bringing in one tough veteran defenseman was needed, but not sufficient. They needed to do the same at forward, and they simply failed to do so. I said this last week and I'll say it again: if we don't make a trade to bring in a forward like that, they aren't going anywhere this season. It will be the same as last year, when they lost every GD time they played a good EC team.

As for Labatt's point about Rivet: I think he was definitely less than 100% when he came back from surgery, but he looks to me to be playing better and I would say is playing pretty well now. I actually think most of the D are playing reasonably well, other than Tallinder. It's the forwards who are playing poorly on the backcheck and with too many turnovers, and the goalies are playing below average.

Weber should be up playing with the Sabres. He has more backbone than all our d-men put together right now.

As for the pond style of play? It is what it is. When most of your team is made up of pond hockey type players, that's the style you'll get as a team. You can't polish a turd. The NHL is going back to the tighter checking, more physical style of play. The players are getting bigger and stronger again as well. The Sabres look to still be building for the "new style" NHL that is all but gone already. It may be time to rebuild around Vanek and.....and.....and.....well, Vanek I guess.

Anyone notice last night how when Peters hits one Bruin, two more come rushing in to his aide? When is the last time a Sabre really stood up for another Sabre since the Isles game in the beginning of the year?

Weber was up this year, and he was terrible. You have to be very careful about rushing defensemen like that. Right now isn't the time to start draining Portland like we did to Rochester.

As far as Rivet goes, I think they made him Captain not because he was "The New Guy" but because he was very experienced and a fresh shake up for the team, something we desperately needed. In the last few weeks though our defense has really slipped up. IMO they need to drill defense for the next few days in practice, and that includes the forwards backchecking harder and taking the body. This team can still be very good, they just need to shake some things up and hold the players responsible.

It's the forwards who are playing poorly on the backcheck and with too many turnovers, and the goalies are playing below average.

This has been a problem for Lindy since they came back from the lockout and even before that. The difference was you had an all-world goalie(Hasek) bailing you out time and time again.

I am not sure if these guys aren't being coached properly about playing in their own zone or what the problem is, but I am a firm believer that play in your own zone is all mental and requires very little talent(except being able to skate). If the forwards they have now, whom have been around now for at least parts of 3 years(except for Kaleta) don't want to buy into what Ruff is selling, start finding players that will.

No one is going to be perfect and mistakes will be made leading to Miller allowing a goal and showing us his "WTF arm wave", but it shouldn't be happening dozens of times per game compounded by defensemen who won't go the extra mile to make sure the forwards mistake in their own zone don't end up in the net.

I think Rivet being made captain is not the problem, but rather is a symptom of the problem -- which is the utter lack of leadership and mental toughness elsewhere in the locker room. Bringing in one tough veteran defenseman was needed, but not sufficient. They needed to do the same at forward, and they simply failed to do so. I said this last week and I'll say it again: if we don't make a trade to bring in a forward like that, they aren't going anywhere this season. It will be the same as last year, when they lost every GD time they played a good EC team.

As for Labatt's point about Rivet: I think he was definitely less than 100% when he came back from surgery, but he looks to me to be playing better and I would say is playing pretty well now. I actually think most of the D are playing reasonably well, other than Tallinder. It's the forwards who are playing poorly on the backcheck and with too many turnovers, and the goalies are playing below average.

Quoted for truth.

With no influence from the coaching staff or front office? Even if the players voted, if Lindy wanted a certain player to be Captain he would be Captain.

I don't think Rivet coming in and becoming Captain was a bad thing. At least it was a sign they were willing to try something new. Clearly they need some shake ups, but starting the revolving door captaincy thing again isn't a good fix. You don't pin the blame on the one new element you added over the Summer. If anything, if the Sabres don't rebound and the defense continues to degrade, I'd say fire James Patrick and bring in something else new to the system.

I'll tell you what...Rivet isn't exactly leading by example. I've questioned since he came back if his knee is still bothering him. He looks slow, is even less physical than I thought he was coming in(I was not fooled by the preseason fights which led some to believe we traded for Phanuef not Rivet) and is not even making good plays with the puck from time to time.

At the very least for 3.5+ per year, I expected a guy who was really solid in his own end, would take the body(not even in a crushing check kind of way, just win the battles along the boards) and would chip in on the PP.

Sekera...obviously stays

Agree on Tallinder

Keep Spacek he is the only one not screwing up on a nightly basis

Teppo..Still wondering why we signed him but I better be careful what I say about Teppo the masses might hunt me down ala Drury..

Sekera..He has a few yrs to get better..He is hurting the team now though with his bad decisions on positional play in the offensive zone

Paetsch..Who knows

Rivet..Here till the end of his contract I would imagine

At the suggested rate, we'll just have orange cones with sweaters on them playing D cause everyone wants to ditch them all. Can't we just have a public stoning? But, at they have been playing brutal but that includes forwards and the goalie. No one is playing well. I don't think Rivet being Captain has much to do with the total implosion we've seen the last couple of weeks.

At the suggested rate, we'll just have orange cones with sweaters on them playing D cause everyone wants to ditch them all. Can't we just have a public stoning? But, at they have been playing brutal but that includes forwards and the goalie. No one is playing well. I don't think Rivet being Captain has much to do with the total implosion we've seen the last couple of weeks.

They tried that in Philadelphia.

I agree, several of those goals last night 1 or 2 (yes 2) Bruins were left open with a gaping net in front of them. They shouldn't be down that low (actually in the crease when the puck touches the stick!!??), and they certainly should be left wide open. Our forwards are the guys not playing the system, and it really sucks being a fan of this team until they get their act together.

Also agree, some kind of change in composition of the forwards is needed, and trading to send a message would not be a bad option in my book. Question is, get they get anything in return given how bad these guys are playing right now?

I don't think Rivet coming in and becoming Captain was a bad thing. At least it was a sign they were willing to try something new. Clearly they need some shake ups, but starting the revolving door captaincy thing again isn't a good fix. You don't pin the blame on the one new element you added over the Summer. If anything, if the Sabres don't rebound and the defense continues to degrade, I'd say fire James Patrick and bring in something else new to the system.

And maybe a new strength and conditioning coach so these guys learn how to play a game that involves hitting the opposing players.

And maybe a new strength and conditioning coach so these guys learn how to play a game that involves hitting the opposing players.

You can't change a tigers stripes. Getting players stronger won't matter because the only thing these guys will use their new muscles for is flexing for each other at the gym.

Archived