The importance of a successful Goose

Chief Enabler

Leading the forecheck, crashing the boards.

Being the only other guy to stand in the paint besides Vanek.

Faceoffs, the 3rd or 4th line anchor.

But, signing a 4yr deal over the summer (at age 26), defining his role & delivering in comparison to the others seems to be of most importance IMO.

Some cons for me are his hands, consistent mean streak & sticking to meat & potatoes nothing fancy.

Can he be the man? Would you compare him to Bertuzzi or Holmstrom?

Thoughts?

I for some reason thought this thread was about something else.

Since I am here.

The "mean streak" is something that can make Gaustad a great player. Opposing players should be skating scared when he is on the ice. It is a waste to have that size and not use it. I liked the penalty he took by punching the Cap in the head when he slashed at Miller. I'd be willing to give him pass on every penalty he takes when keeping the opposition in line.

Since I am here.

The "mean streak" is something that can make Gaustad a great player. Opposing players should be skating scared when he is on the ice. It is a waste to have that size and not use it. I liked the penalty he took by punching the Cap in the head when he slashed at Miller. I'd be willing to give him pass on every penalty he takes when keeping the opposition in line.

I agree, if there's a good penalty to take, it's either hauling down someone to prevent a goal, or putting someone on his ass for taking liberties.

Leading the forecheck, crashing the boards.

Being the only other guy to stand in the paint besides Vanek.

Faceoffs, the 3rd or 4th line anchor.

But, signing a 4yr deal over the summer (at age 26), defining his role & delivering in comparison to the others seems to be of most importance IMO.

Some cons for me are his hands, consistent mean streak & sticking to meat & potatoes nothing fancy.

Can he be the man? Would you compare him to Bertuzzi or Holmstrom?

Thoughts?

I thought he looked really good in there last night.

Since I am here.

Agree, and to have a couple more guys with that consistent mean streak will really help the team. Rivet is tough, but who else really has a consistent mean streak the way Goose does. Petey, Kaleta and Mair play certain roles but I don't think they have exactly what we are talking about here. In my opinion, we need one or two more.

And definitely gets a pass on those penalties.

Archived