Sabre fans. Prepare to chant.

deluca67

Guest Scott
Yep, next year when all the other teams are crying the blues, we'll be whistling a different tune:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132450

Exactly right!

Everyone is freaking out right now for no reason. The Sabres very well may not win the cup this year but doesn't any good plan require caution and forethought before aggressiveness? Let's see what happens this year with the revenue streams so we can get an idea of what the cap will be next year, see how players from around the league play with the rule changes, and then make strategic, aggressive moves next off season. We still are a small market, cash poor team (enough of the Golisano Billionaire crap, good investments are why he is a billionaire! He is not going to throw good dollar after bad. He is not a long time Sabre fan with a need to win like a Dan Snyder) and need to be patient and wait for the right time to strike. Things will be ok, have patience and confidence!

Exactly right!

Everyone is freaking out right now for no reason. The Sabres very well may not win the cup this year but doesn't any good plan require caution and forethought before aggressiveness? Let's see what happens this year with the revenue streams so we can get an idea of what the cap will be next year, see how players from around the league play with the rule changes, and then make strategic, aggressive moves next off season. We still are a small market, cash poor team (enough of the Golisano Billionaire crap, good investments are why he is a billionaire! He is not going to throw good dollar after bad. He is not a long time Sabre fan with a need to win like a Dan Snyder) and need to be patient and wait for the right time to strike. Things will be ok, have patience and confidence!

So basically, next season we can offer mediocre players for trade? Make moves next season? All the superstars are moving and signing deals now, not next year. I'd be curious as to know what you think we have to offer to pry them from other teams next season.

This organization is turning into a joke.

Guest Guest
So basically, next season we can offer mediocre players for trade? Make moves next season? All the superstars are moving and signing deals now, not next year. I'd be curious as to know what you think we have to offer to pry them from other teams next season.

This organization is turning into a joke.

On WGR this morning, Darcy said next year's FA crop will be 29-year old guys and even some 27-year old players...in other words, a lot more attractive than this year's group of old big name "super star" guys trading on their reps (Hatcher...LOL!).

The Sabres are in a pretty good position trading-wise, IMO. A lot of teams will be dumping mid-tier guys to get under the cap and Buffalo has some good, cheap young talent to dangle as trade bait.

Guest Guest
It doesn't matter if they are 27,29 or 31, if the Sabres are only going to spend 28 million dollars, they still won't be able to afford any of the high end talent.

Darcy's point was that you don't give a 5-year contract to a guy in his mid 30s. Giving one to a 28-year old guy makes sense financially and from a budget standpoint.

Sounds like TD's strategy as well. Let guys on the wrong side of 30 leave for bigger FA bucks and develop younger talent to fill in behind.

Guest I Worshipped Satan
Darcy's point was that you don't give a 5-year contract to a guy in his mid 30s. Giving one to a 28-year old guy makes sense financially and from a budget standpoint.

Sounds like TD's strategy as well. Let guys on the wrong side of 30 leave for bigger FA bucks and develop younger talent to fill in behind.

I HATE that strategy.

Example - Roger Clemens.

How about Brett Hull, Yzerman, Sakic....these guys seem to get better with age.

I think the Sabres are going to try to tell their fans that next year they will be serious contenders for the likes of Vincent Lecavalier and a whole host of other stars. There are some huge names that will be UFA's next year.

Problem is, teams like Philly, that want to win, will dump whatever salaries they need to, to be first in line for these players. To think Buffalo will get any of these guys because everyone else is capped out, is ridiculous.

Plus, with the losing tradition Buffalo is building, who'd want to play there? Used to be a time I was proud to be a Sabre fan, even without play-off success. Now, I may as well cheer for the Hartford freakin' Whalers.

I'm from Saskatchewan, and so is Darcy Regier. Darcy, it's time to come home. Let Mike Robitaille run the team, he could bring some pride back to that team.

Problem is, teams like Philly, that want to win, will dump whatever salaries they need to, to be first in line for these players. To think Buffalo will get any of these guys because everyone else is capped out, is ridiculous.

Teams will not be able to buy out contracts to free up cap room. It is not rediculous. If the Sabres are in fact trying to position themselves for next years free agents than it is a brilliant move.

Guest Wayne

So while everyone else missed NHL hockey for a year, Darcy decided that Buffalo should go without NHL hockey for 2 years??

Maybe they are waiting to see how much they get in revenue sharing, figuring they can spend 25%-50% of that?

If they can't afford the team, they shouldn't buy it. This is embarrassing, players would rather play in Columbus Ohio than Buffalo. I'm sorry but I'd rather see them move than deal with this #%^$#!. It was fine before the strike, but now it's the new NHL and the poor Buffalo Sabers? Give me a break.

Guest Guest_IKnowPhysics

...Used to be a time I was proud to be a Sabre fan, even without play-off success. Now, I may as well cheer for the Hartford freakin' Whalers.

No way. The teams that are signing long term, high-salary contracts are most likely going to be stuck with those players for a while. Who's going to trade anything good for a past-prime player at $5M per year three or four years from now?

It should be noted that the only anomalously large free agent market (after this year) will be next year. After that, teams (including us) have either seized or not seized the opportunity to change the face of their teams using these huge free agency markets.

So basically, we have until the end of the next free agent period to radically turn it around quick. I respect Regier's patience, but if we want any magic to happen this year, we need to sign a top-six forward (Kariya, Leclair, Palffy, Whitney, etc?) and trade for a defenseman (if not sign Hamrlik).

Do keep in mind that we do have a good young core of players that other teams don't have. Teams like Philly and Boston were hollow before the free agent signing, and the Capitals are simply screwed. What we don't have is the "oomph" at the blue line and the extra shootout/powerplay finishing that we need.

Yea, good thing we got rid of that aging Satan. That old focker is just a few games away from a heart attack. Last I heard he couldn't find his walker. This organization keeps making excuses for it's lack of committment to win. I'm done listening to the excuses.

I am so tired of hearing al of this crap regarding next years free agents. There are thirty teams and not all are at 39 million. Some teams have spent money. But guess what? Those same teams will have money to spend next year when older contracts are up.

And will someone please explain how Buffalo will suddenly be able to sign some of these free agents next year? Why would any talented player pick Buffalo over any of those other teams? Buffalo is on their fourth straight season without a chance of the playofffs. The only players that will sign will be garbage like Teppo what's his name. Offering Teppo a contract is like offering a homeless man a sandwhich. He'll take it no matter what's on it.

Offering Teppo a contract is like offering a homeless man a sandwhich. He'll take it no matter what's on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

we are a good team, and amde a run last year, lets evaluate what type of team we are w/o overspending rt now. one superstar isnt gonna get us to the cup just yet.

• 5 months later...
Hindsight is 20/20.

Don, you are new here, welcome to the board.

I'm not sure why you chose to restart this thread, but anybody who has been on the board for more than 1 month knows that DeLuca was extremely unhappy with the team over the summer and into the season. He has taken many lumps for his views. If the point of the post was to bash DeLuca for evolving his opinion then the guy will never win. If that wasn't the point of your post, then 1. I have no idea what the point was and would appreciate clarification; and, 2. as Emily Lutella used to say: nevermind.

As stated, welcome to the board, the post about Paetsch was appreciated.

Fans are fickle. The chant may yet be heard. Expectations are awfully high for this team.

Someone made a comment about Golisano's wealth -- he didn't get rich throwing good money after bad. True, but honestly, even if the Sabres becoming tremendously profitable, what's a couple million here, a couple there mean to this guy? I don't think he bought the Sabres as a financial investment, I really don't. Could be wrong about that, because a profitable NHL team could fetch a nice return in five or 10 years, if the league keeps its affairs in order.

I am so tired of hearing al of this crap regarding next years free agents. There are thirty teams and not all are at 39 million. Some teams have spent money. But guess what? Those same teams will have money to spend next year when older contracts are up.

And will someone please explain how Buffalo will suddenly be able to sign some of these free agents next year? Why would any talented player pick Buffalo over any of those other teams? Buffalo is on their fourth straight season without a chance of the playofffs. The only players that will sign will be garbage like Teppo what's his name. Offering Teppo a contract is like offering a homeless man a sandwhich. He'll take it no matter what's on it.

The only difference is I don't think the homeless guy would have contributed they way Temmpo has - 2nd leading scoring among defenseman.

I'm not saying he is why they are playing well, but I rather we pay a vet like that then overpay a name like Hatcher.

How did this thread escalate in to "I'm sick of these excuses associated with Buffalo?" Did I miss something that was said by ownership or Regier? We are in the middle of a good season of a team that for the most part plays exciting hockey each night. Does anyone else find it to be a coincidence that after years of throwing money at names and getting nowhere that the Rangers are finally fun for their fans to watch b/c they went with kids? I will take kids that play their arse off every night that names that play one-way, unispired hockey.

Don, you are new here, welcome to the board.

I'm not sure why you chose to restart this thread, but anybody who has been on the board for more than 1 month knows that DeLuca was extremely unhappy with the team over the summer and into the season. He has taken many lumps for his views. If the point of the post was to bash DeLuca for evolving his opinion then the guy will never win. If that wasn't the point of your post, then 1. I have no idea what the point was and would appreciate clarification; and, 2. as Emily Lutella used to say: nevermind.

As stated, welcome to the board, the post about Paetsch was appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome!

I had absolutly no intentions of bashing the guy who started this thread. I really admire his passion. I wish some players had the same level of passion for thier team!

I liked this thread, because I felt exactly the same way at the start of the season. I just thought it would be cool to look back in order to appreciate just what this team and front office has done at the halfway poin of the season. I was bummed after the Jersey loss, and just wanted to put things in perspective.

Archived