This Day in Sabres History :: February 24

PASabreFan

February 24, 1982

At Memorial Auditorium, the Oilers' Wayne Gretzky scores his 77th of the season (and, later, his 78th and 79th) to set a new NHL record for most goals in a season. Gretzky steals the show from the Sabres' own great, Gilbert Perreault, who has a hat trick of his own in a 6-3 loss.

February 24, 1993

Alexander Mogilny scores four goals, his 57th, 58th, 59th and 60th of the year, in the Sabres' 10-7 rout of the Red Wings in Buffalo. The first goal sets a new Sabre record for most in a season, surpassing Danny Gare's 56. Mogilny would go on to score 76 goals, tied with rookie Teemu Selanne for most in the NHL that season.

I remember that game clearly. Espisito was there and Gretz hadn't scored in a few games, nor did he in first and second period but Richie Dunn lost the puck and Wanye went in on Edwards--not Sauve mind you!--and scored. I think they stopped the game for awhile. I friend of mine wrote a poem about that the next day. We were in 8th grade

February 24, 1982

At Memorial Auditorium, the Oilers' Wayne Gretzky scores his 77th of the season (and, later, his 78th and 79th) to set a new NHL record for most goals in a season. Gretzky steals the show from the Sabres' own great, Gilbert Perreault, who has a hat trick of his own in a 6-3 loss.

Lafontaine and Mogilny were unstoppable that year. It was a season long highlight reel.

Lafontaine's injuries prevented him from having a long and productive career as a Sabre. :(

Ya, that was an exciting time to be a Sabres fan! But its even better now!

I remember that game clearly. Espisito was there and Gretz hadn't scored in a few games, nor did he in first and second period but Richie Dunn lost the puck and Wanye went in on Edwards--not Sauve mind you!--and scored. I think they stopped the game for awhile. I friend of mine wrote a poem about that the next day. We were in 8th grade

Ya, that was an exciting time to be a Sabres fan! But its even better now!

I think the picture of Gretz going by with the puck in the net past Edwards is as recognizable of an nhl photo as Orr flying through the air after winning the Cup in '70.