The Miller signing is nice, but...........

deluca67

No, and for once I agree with you on this. The FO FINALLY did something right. There was no question that this deal needed to get done before the season. Now, whether or not they continue this wise path is another question. I am filing this under the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" category until I see more evidence that they are in fact really trying to make an effort to resign Pommer and bring back Teppo and another D-man.

Also, based on some of the things I've read from Miller's agent on this, the Sabres were very aggressive in their offering price for Miller. Anyone wonder why the same philosophy wasn't used on Drury and Briere? Seems to me this just enhances those screw ups. Then again, maybe they learned something from that. I don't know. I'm happy about the signing, but the FO has a long way to go before I can say that I trust their abilities and decision-making.

To paraphrase Abe Lincoln when asked to defend why he changed his mind on a particular issue;

I would like to think that I am smarter today than I was yesterday.

To paraphrase Abe Lincoln when asked to defend why he changed his mind on a particular issue;

I would like to think that I am smarter today than I was yesterday.

And when he was accused of being two-faced, he said, "If I had another face besides this one, don't you think I'd be wearing it." We miss men of wisdom and self-deprecation and good humor in the White House, don't we?

Have you spent any time reading my posts on this board? I have been far from the Sabres harshest critic. I spent all season defending this front office. That said I will never have blind faith in anyone. I look at the Sabres and see a team that looks far too eerily familiar. I see a team heading into a new season with all the warts and flaws from the previous season. I sit here on July 19th with a long list of concerns.

a) Having Rivet instead of Campbell doesn't make the Sabres a better team.

b) Lalime played his way out of the NHL. He is flawed and teams in the East know how to beat him.

c) Signing Teppo doesn't improve the team at all. He wouldn't have made them a playoff team last season.

d) Connolly won't play over 50 games.

e) Max can't survive in the NHL the way game is being called.

f) The Sabres are too small up front to roll only three lines for 82 games.

g) The Sabres are horrible on face-offs.

I have much more. I would be happy if someone could realistically ease my concerns.

I'm the last guy to realistically ease your concerns. Like you, I feel frustrated that the Stanley Cup is won by some NHL team that does things better then my favorite team, year in and year out. That said, it's not a big deal the Sabres signed Miller to a 5 year contract for over 6 million a year. It is a huge deal. It's the most signifigant deal since Golisano bought this team, and it should be celebrated as much as it is being celebrated, if not more so. Why? Remember 1999? Tell me that 7th place team gets to the finals without Hasek in goal. So if the Sabres are trying to start fresh with a new attitude about being more competitive with payroll, then beginning with their young talented goalie is the best place to start. Miller may never be another Dominator, (who can be?), but he's still one of the best goalies in the NHL today, and he is only 28. Remember, Hasak was just about the same age when he finally won the starting position from Grant Fuhr back in the mid-90's. Miller's best days are ahead of him. Now that he's happy and well-paid, his focus will improve. That improvement alone is worth mentioning versus your list of concerns above.

I'm the last guy to realistically ease your concerns. Like you, I feel frustrated that the Stanley Cup is won by some NHL team that does things better then my favorite team, year in and year out. That said, it's not a big deal the Sabres signed Miller to a 5 year contract for over 6 million a year. It is a huge deal. It's the most signifigant deal since Golisano bought this team, and it should be celebrated as much as it is being celebrated, if not more so. Why? Remember 1999? Tell me that 7th place team gets to the finals without Hasek in goal. So if the Sabres are trying to start fresh with a new attitude about being more competitive with payroll, then beginning with their young talented goalie is the best place to start. Miller may never be another Dominator, (who can be?), but he's still one of the best goalies in the NHL today, and he is only 28. Remember, Hasak was just about the same age when he finally won the starting position from Grant Fuhr back in the mid-90's. Miller's best days are ahead of him. Now that he's happy and well-paid, his focus will improve. That improvement alone is worth mentioning versus your list of concerns above.

Don't get me wrong. I am in no way slighting Miller. I just feel that it may, as you said, be considered a huge move because of the perceived recent failures of the FO. Signing Miller doesn't fill in the holes this franchise had last season. Maybe the holes will be filled before the season begins. Maybe some kids destined for Portland make the Sabres. I don't know. All I know is that as I sit here today looking over the Sabres roster a feeling of concern washes over me. It could be the Sabres faith in the roster pays off. I will hope for the best this season. I truly hope that I look back at these posts in the middle of the season and laugh at how silly and unfounded my concerns were. I hope.

Do you believe Ryan let in so many shots from above the circles because he wasn't getting enough scratch?

From mentioning Miller in the same post as Hasek to calling him one of the best goalies in the NHL to referencing his "youth," this post was like nails on a chalkboard (sorry for the clich?).

Anyone wonder why the same philosophy wasn't used on Drury and Briere? Seems to me this just enhances those screw ups. Then again, maybe they learned something from that. I don't know. I'm happy about the signing, but the FO has a long way to go before I can say that I trust their abilities and decision-making.

The only FO screw up you can pin on them is Drury. Campbell, Briere and even Peca and Mckee were financial decisions. I can live with a team not screwing themselves by signing fragile or one way players to large, long term deals.

No, and for once I agree with you on this. The FO FINALLY did something right. There was no question that this deal needed to get done before the season. Now, whether or not they continue this wise path is another question. I am filing this under the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" category until I see more evidence that they are in fact really trying to make an effort to resign Pommer and bring back Teppo and another D-man.

Also, based on some of the things I've read from Miller's agent on this, the Sabres were very aggressive in their offering price for Miller. Anyone wonder why the same philosophy wasn't used on Drury and Briere? Seems to me this just enhances those screw ups. Then again, maybe they learned something from that. I don't know. I'm happy about the signing, but the FO has a long way to go before I can say that I trust their abilities and decision-making.

Was the Roy signing last year just another lucky find of a nut or do you think maybe they did that one on purpose? The only "evidence" you will be happy with is a signed deal, so just say that. It's fair, they need to get it done. And even then there will be something else someone doesn't like, they can't possibly keep everyone happy unless they turn into the 1976 Canadiens overinght.

I'll be honest, I do not trust them to always do the right thing either ... but I do believe they have a plan and are not just getting lucky when they do something right. They laid it out at the end of the season and have steadily checked things off of the list ... signed their prospects, improved the defense (even if you don't like giving up Bernier, swapping Kalinin for Rivet off the defense that ended the season is a huge improvement) and now signed Miller ... also on the list are Pominville and, from what Darcy has said, trading Max and adding to the defense, maybe in the same move. Again, they might not get it all done, but I don't see how you can question if they are even TRYING to sign Pominville and want EVIDENCE? Do you want phone records with calls to his agent? there was no evidence of the Rivet deal or really even the Miller deal before they happened.

As for why they didn't handle Drury/Briere/Campbell in an aggressive manner, as Ink said, I think they did try with Drury ... and as for the other two it was less a failure in negotiating and more a conscious choice to let them go because they knew that had young guys coming up (Miller, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, etc) they would have to pay (I mean, if they were out of the playoffs like they were this past season, I could see them trading Briere at the deadline ... but they had to take their shot). Now, if you want to argue this was dumb and they should have signed the guys who have proven themselves and not save the money for kids who have not, that's fine. Again, not saying their plan is always the right one ... but I don't think it is completely clueless either. It's just another school of thought ... personally, I think to make it work right they HAD to sign Drury to keep more of a mix of veterans and young talent ... but they f'd up.

Have you spent any time reading my posts on this board? I have been far from the Sabres harshest critic. I spent all season defending this front office. That said I will never have blind faith in anyone. I look at the Sabres and see a team that looks far too eerily familiar. I see a team heading into a new season with all the warts and flaws from the previous season. I sit here on July 19th with a long list of concerns.

b) Lalime played his way out of the NHL. He is flawed and teams in the East know how to beat him.

c) Signing Teppo doesn't improve the team at all. He wouldn't have made them a playoff team last season.

I have much more. I would be happy if someone could realistically ease my concerns.

My first post on this site, so here it goes.

A) Rivet adds grit and for the money I like what we get in exchange. Campbell is not a great defensive zone guy Rivet improves on that and Sekera will begin to replace what we lost in Campbell at a much lower price.

B) I just feel anything is better than Tblow. I will reserve judgment on Lalime.

C) Blown away by this statement! Numminen in my opinion is why Hank and Toni underachieved last year. That pairing was great the previous two years with him in the line-up. My feelings about D-men is this, if you don't notice them, than they are doing their job. I never notice Teppo out of position or giving the puck away. I for one want him to be on the 3rd line with Sekera and want Sekera soaking up all the knowledge he can from Teppo. I hope we make Numminen a coach after this year and I think we do make the playoffs with him last year.

D) Unfortunately I can't argue with this.

E) I will buy him his ticket out of town!

F&G) I agree and would like to see a physical Center with good face-off skills brought in.

As for the big deal about the Miller signing. I understand what you are saying but I think it is relief that we all feel. I can't imagine the other players wanted to go through the media circus like last year with Campbell. This at least sends a more positive message to them. It appears you can teach old dogs new tricks. If they sign Pommers early it will also help us shake off the reputation around the league of being difficult to deal with.

My first post on this site, so here it goes.

A) Rivet adds grit and for the money I like what we get in exchange. Campbell is not a great defensive zone guy Rivet improves on that and Sekera will begin to replace what we lost in Campbell at a much lower price.

B) I just feel anything is better than Tblow. I will reserve judgment on Lalime.

C) Blown away by this statement! Numminen in my opinion is why Hank and Toni underachieved last year. That pairing was great the previous two years with him in the line-up. My feelings about D-men is this, if you don't notice them, than they are doing their job. I never notice Teppo out of position or giving the puck away. I for one want him to be on the 3rd line with Sekera and want Sekera soaking up all the knowledge he can from Teppo. I hope we make Numminen a coach after this year and I think we do make the playoffs with him last year.

D) Unfortunately I can't argue with this.

E) I will buy him his ticket out of town!

F&G) I agree and would like to see a physical Center with good face-off skills brought in.

As for the big deal about the Miller signing. I understand what you are saying but I think it is relief that we all feel. I can't imagine the other players wanted to go through the media circus like last year with Campbell. This at least sends a more positive message to them. It appears you can teach old dogs new tricks. If they sign Pommers early it will also help us shake off the reputation around the league of being difficult to deal with.

Welcome to the board, nice first post ... although you may be a bit too level-headed to last ;)

The only FO screw up you can pin on them is Drury. Campbell, Briere and even Peca and Mckee were financial decisions. I can live with a team not screwing themselves by signing fragile or one way players to large, long term deals.

Exactly. For the first time, LQ said on Schopp and the Bulldog, "we don't actually come out and say these things, but we chose [Drury] over Danny." He said that Chris didn't choose them, but he then quickly qualified that by adding "at least at the end of the year. There are arguments that he would have at the start of the year and they're probably right." Not a flat out admission of guilt, but a lot closer than we've ever heard from LQ. They know they screwed up with Drury and learned from it. They decided they couldn't afford both Danny and Chris with the younger guys coming up that they wanted to sign. I was fine with that. Likewise, they decided that they couldn't keep Brian at a price he was willing to agree to with the rest of the guys they had/wanted to sign.

Miller is a big step in the right direction. Without their past, it wouldn't be as big, but I would hardly say that it would be just "business as usual" on any other teams. Signing prospects could be called that, but big contracts with starting goalies are always a big deal. They are the most singular position on the team. There are six top forwards, four top defensemen (even if you go with just top lines, that's three forwards and two defensemen), but only one starting goalie. Locking up that key player for five years is always important and doesn't always get done. Therefore, they still deserve some applause even without their past. Now, with their past ...

As for the rest of the summer, I am kind of in the middle about it. With the makeup of the rest of the team, Rivet is an improvement over Campbell. We have plenty of finesse, puck-moving defensemen; we needed more physical, stay-at-home defensemen to balance them out. Rivet is that type of defensemen (as is Weber and, I believe, Butler) and brings a veteran presence and leadership to the roster. I was curious to see how Bernier would turn out, so I am sad that it cost us him, but he also didn't turn out to be the player that we were all hoping for. Sure, he banged some along the boards, but other than the first game, that's all we saw from him. We also got a backup that did a decent job over 30+ games on a mediocre team last year. If used more, as they have stated they will (again, a lesson learned), then I believe he will be an improvement over T-bo last year. I do feel Teppo would have made a significant impact on last year's team and consider him going down to be the second or maybe third biggest problem last year behind not signing Chris (or an similar veteran center) and, maybe, not using their backup effectively. If he is on the roster this year, that will be an improvement over last year. On the flip side, I do think they need to move Max (no matter how low the best offer is) and sign a top line forward who either is a center or is capable of playing center (and winning face-offs) if needed. If they do that and sign Pommer long-term, then I will give them a B for the off-season. Right now, they get a C with a friendly teacher's note about how it's nice to see their improvement from last year.

Exactly. For the first time, LQ said on Schopp and the Bulldog, "we don't actually come out and say these things, but we chose [Drury] over Danny." He said that Chris didn't choose them, but he then quickly qualified that by adding "at least at the end of the year. There are arguments that he would have at the start of the year and they're probably right." Not a flat out admission of guilt, but a lot closer than we've ever heard from LQ. They know they screwed up with Drury and learned from it. They decided they couldn't afford both Danny and Chris with the younger guys coming up that they wanted to sign. I was fine with that. Likewise, they decided that they couldn't keep Brian at a price he was willing to agree to with the rest of the guys they had/wanted to sign.

Miller is a big step in the right direction. Without their past, it wouldn't be as big, but I would hardly say that it would be just "business as usual" on any other teams. Signing prospects could be called that, but big contracts with starting goalies are always a big deal. They are the most singular position on the team. There are six top forwards, four top defensemen (even if you go with just top lines, that's three forwards and two defensemen), but only one starting goalie. Locking up that key player for five years is always important and doesn't always get done. Therefore, they still deserve some applause even without their past. Now, with their past ...

As for the rest of the summer, I am kind of in the middle about it. With the makeup of the rest of the team, Rivet is an improvement over Campbell. We have plenty of finesse, puck-moving defensemen; we needed more physical, stay-at-home defensemen to balance them out. Rivet is that type of defensemen (as is Weber and, I believe, Butler) and brings a veteran presence and leadership to the roster. I was curious to see how Bernier would turn out, so I am sad that it cost us him, but he also didn't turn out to be the player that we were all hoping for. Sure, he banged some along the boards, but other than the first game, that's all we saw from him. We also got a backup that did a decent job over 30+ games on a mediocre team last year. If used more, as they have stated they will (again, a lesson learned), then I believe he will be an improvement over T-bo last year. I do feel Teppo would have made a significant impact on last year's team and consider him going down to be the second or maybe third biggest problem last year behind not signing Chris (or an similar veteran center) and, maybe, not using their backup effectively. If he is on the roster this year, that will be an improvement over last year. On the flip side, I do think they need to move Max (no matter how low the best offer is) and sign a top line forward who either is a center or is capable of playing center (and winning face-offs) if needed. If they do that and sign Pommer long-term, then I will give them a B for the off-season. Right now, they get a C with a friendly teacher's note about how it's nice to see their improvement from last year.

Wow, I had no idea Quinn admitted that ... interesting. And I forgot about Lalime in my last post ... no big deal but again, something they said they would do and they did it.

I agree with just about everything else too ... I don't know that the center we all want it out there to be had. The guys left in free agency are 3rd and 4th liners, and the price in trade for a guy to play between hecht and Pominville will be more than they will be willing to pay, even if it does take Max off their hands.

Assuming they extend Pominville, three things will make-or-break the season, in my opinion:

1. Miller playing up to his capabilities and now his contract.

2. A commitment to playing better defense, whether they add to the defense corps again or not.

3. Connolly's health.

Nos. 1 and 2 are on the players (and Ruff - he can't burn out Miller and must somehow get them to be more responsible).

No. 3 is on the front office, and I think it is the hole we are going to bitch about all season. because even if he somehow stays healthy we will all be holding our breath and at the deadline PLEADING with them to get another center just in case.

A. If we start the season with Tallinder, Spacek, Lydman, Rivet, Weber, Sekera & Paetsch, that will be a better group overall than what they opened with last season...Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek, Campbell, Kalinin & Paetsch. What they gain in Rivet's overall play(especially in the defensive zone) will more than offset Campbell's Ice Capade-like skills.

B. The biggest thing with Lalime is that Lindy can't sit him on the bench for long period of time(see Tbo). Get Lalime into 8-10 games by Christmas and if he stinking the joint up, then it is up to DR to go find another goalie...PRONTO!

C. I'll tell you what...if Teppo wants to come back as a 5-6-7 and isn't looking for more than 1.5 mil for the season, I'll take him. Anything more in terms of his role on the team or more money and I'll take a pass and keep looking.

D. Connolly being hurt is a given, but what really HURTS is that there is no scoring center in the system(close to NHL ready) to replace him when it happens.

E. I've turned the page on Max. If he is on the roster on opening night, I will be really disappointed.

F. As long as numnuts Peters is not in the lineup, it is easier to get the 4th line more ice time.

G. Faceoffs continue to be a problem and unless Roy and Connolly magically acquire Yanic Perreault faceoff skills overnight, it will still be a weakness in 08-09. One note...Roy did go from 48% the previous two season to around 51% last season. If he can improve by another point or two and be better on key draws, the overall grade goes up.

I'm with Deluca on this one. This was a competant move aided to some degree by Miller not being angry at the oraganization. NOt that he should have been, but he could have easily made the same decison Hasek did: I Want Out.

I digress. This was a good move that will turn into a pom-pom moment if 1) Miller improves his play and carries this team now and then and 2) if Pommer and other core guys are locked in the next few years.

The reason for my skepticism is that in my estimation the talant gap between Detriot/Pittsburgh and Buffalo is huge now.

I just don't like their defense and lack of size. Two thing combine to frustrate me 1) no free agency and 2) video scouting.

Its frustrating that they deny themselves free agency as a tool to improve. Video scouting strikes me as very dangerous because a team that drafts well or dies imho should not eliminate flesh-and-blood scouts it should get the best and pay them accordingly. Also it seems to me that relationships are really important in a tight subjective industry like rating talent and predicting which talented teenager can be a real NHLer. No scouts means your ears and eyes are limited. It just strikes me as a false economy and that DR would be better served by hearing respected voices who might disagree with with. The other point I agree with Deluca about is that this our team. No other DMan and no other Center is coming.

My only reason for optimism and it ain't Conference Finals optimism is a reason others have mentioned. Lsst year's team was spiritually broken and hopfully this year they realize No Superman is walking through the door it is up to who they have to win.

I think the goal this year is find out if they are 2 or 3 years from competing for a top spot. 2 or 3 years away from a time when their talent improves enough that with manical effort and a few breaks they win the Cup.

B. The biggest thing with Lalime is that Lindy can't sit him on the bench for long period of time(see Tbo). Get Lalime into 8-10 games by Christmas and if he stinking the joint up, then it is up to DR to go find another goalie...PRONTO!

G. Faceoffs continue to be a problem and unless Roy and Connolly magically acquire Yanic Perreault faceoff skills overnight, it will still be a weakness in 08-09. One note...Roy did go from 48% the previous two season to around 51% last season. If he can improve by another point or two and be better on key draws, the overall grade goes up.

The problem with "B" is that the Sabres are historically very slow starters under Ruff. And we keep hearing him talk about how important the points are early in the season. The two things are incongruous (how'd I do, ink?), but it all adds up to Ruff mishandling his goalies. No way Lalime gets 10 starts by Christmas. I bet Miller ends in the neighborhood of 70 starts again. Or, as TaroDave would say, 67-73. (Take no offense, Taro, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)

As for G, on a side note, I'd love to see the NHL beef up a lot of their stats, among them faceoffs. I know they keep faceoff stats by zone, and head to head, but it would be great to know how a player does on defensive draws in the final five minutes with a one-goal lead. You get the idea. Also, a ton of faceoffs are won with winger support. You almost want to throw those out of the equation.

Of course I am still waiting for scoring chance stats to arrive in the NHL. It would make my argument with BM about Miller that much more, uh, interesting.

I'm with Deluca on this one. This was a competant move aided to some degree by Miller not being angry at the oraganization. NOt that he should have been, but he could have easily made the same decison Hasek did: I Want Out.

I digress. This was a good move that will turn into a pom-pom moment if 1) Miller improves his play and carries this team now and then and 2) if Pommer and other core guys are locked in the next few years.

The reason for my skepticism is that in my estimation the talant gap between Detriot/Pittsburgh and Buffalo is huge now.

I just don't like their defense and lack of size. Two thing combine to frustrate me 1) no free agency and 2) video scouting.

Its frustrating that they deny themselves free agency as a tool to improve. Video scouting strikes me as very dangerous because a team that drafts well or dies imho should not eliminate flesh-and-blood scouts it should get the best and pay them accordingly. Also it seems to me that relationships are really important in a tight subjective industry like rating talent and predicting which talented teenager can be a real NHLer. No scouts means your ears and eyes are limited. It just strikes me as a false economy and that DR would be better served by hearing respected voices who might disagree with with. The other point I agree with Deluca about is that this our team. No other DMan and no other Center is coming.

My only reason for optimism and it ain't Conference Finals optimism is a reason others have mentioned. Lsst year's team was spiritually broken and hopfully this year they realize No Superman is walking through the door it is up to who they have to win.

I think the goal this year is find out if they are 2 or 3 years from competing for a top spot. 2 or 3 years away from a time when their talent improves enough that with manical effort and a few breaks they win the Cup.

The Sabres DO have scouts. They are using video for the initial screening of players they are interested in, but they do have scouts to actually watch the players in person.

I'm not overly thrilled with the video scouting. Primarily because the system won't be proven successful or unsuccessful for at least a couple of more years. If it's proven to be a flop, it will set the team back for far more years.

The reason for my skepticism is that in my estimation the talent gap between Detroit/Pittsburgh and Buffalo is huge now.

It's hard to argue with Detroit. They were on a different level than the whole league, kept basically the same team and traded (upgraded) a retiring Dallas Drake for Marion Hossa. They were the best, by a significant amount, and got better. It will be a disappointing season for them if they don't repeat, especially since next year they will have Hossa, Zetterberg, Franzen, Samuelsson and Kopecky as UFAs next year, as well as Hudler as a RFA.

I'm not convinced that Pittsburgh got better and arguments could be made that they got worse. I do believe that we got better, especially in the back end. Also, we had the skill last year, but not the mental toughness. Some of that will come with experience (our star players were in their second full seasons in the NHL), while the addition of a veteran noted for his leadership abilities on other teams (Rivet) as well as bringing back a calming presence (Teppo, if they do re-sign him) should help the team as a whole. I don't think that we've improved as much up front as we could have and we may have to wait for next trade deadline or off season (when Max, Timmy and Ales are all off contract) to see the type of move we still want to see.

I'm starting to think you could go by the name of ICE.... :D

Teppo most definitely would have made them a playoff team. TBO played his way out of the NHL. Lalime has played his way back in. Since we have more puck moving d-men than hitters, Rivet does improve the team. Dunno about Connolly's future. Dave_b makes a pretty good point though that he was durable before the first concussion. I agree about Max and the rest.

I'm starting to think you could go by the name of ICE.... :D

Teppo most definitely would have made them a playoff team. TBO played his way out of the NHL. Lalime has played his way back in. Since we have more puck moving d-men than hitters, Rivet does improve the team. Dunno about Connolly's future. Dave_b makes a pretty good point though that he was durable before the first concussion. I agree about Max and the rest.

And Gord Klusak was durable before the first knee injury.

There is no way Teppo makes any real impact. He's not that type of player.

What does an early 80's major joint operation before arthroscopic surgery was in vogue +/or perfected have to do with Timmy's (or, for that matter, anyone's) situation?

For the Record I am happy Miller has his contract. I just don't see the big deal in light of the failures of the FO to improve the hockey even the slightest. The words Status Quo used to be thrown a lot on this board. I have a feeling with the lack initiative from the FO to improve this team that the words "Status Quo" may start to be seen a lot more often.

For the record you're happy Miller has his contract, but be honest. You'll never be happy. There will always be situations like this, where something is important and the FO needs to wake up and get it done, and then when it happens it's suddenly of lesser significance. Again, it's because of the seemingly intractable psychology of many Sabres fans: The grass is always greener on other teams.

"the failures of the FO to improve the hockey even the slightest"

Those are words only someone determined to remain sour could utter. Come on...

Every once and awhile you post something that convinces me that your only goal is to be contrarian. If you really think that a veteran calming influence in the middle of a couple of third period collapses wouldn't have come in handy, you know less about sports and hockey in particular then I would have ever guessed.

By the way, its Kluzak.

Do you believe Ryan let in so many shots from above the circles because he wasn't getting enough scratch?

From mentioning Miller in the same post as Hasek to calling him one of the best goalies in the NHL to referencing his "youth," this post was like nails on a chalkboard (sorry for the clich?).

Sorry to offend you so much. Let's see, if I understand your post, Ryan Miller is really an old washed up 28 year old goalie with zero upside and one of the worst goalies in the NHL. Do I have it right? I never said Miller is or ever will be as good as the Dominator. My point is that he is at the age now where goalies seem to settle down and play to their potential consistently. And with the new contract behind him, maybe he will save a few more of those shots above the circle.

Sorry to offend you so much. Let's see, if I understand your post, Ryan Miller is really an old washed up 28 year old goalie with zero upside and one of the worst goalies in the NHL. Do I have it right? I never said Miller is or ever will be as good as the Dominator. My point is that he is at the age now where goalies seem to settle down and play to their potential consistently. And with the new contract behind him, maybe he will save a few more of those shots above the circle.

He says he actually really likes Miller.

Archived