The Miller signing is nice, but...........

deluca67

should it really be a big deal? I read and heard a lot of opinions that the Sabres front office should get high grades for signing the prospects and now getting Miller's contract done. IMO, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Shouldn't signing prospects and getting your starting goalie signed be the least the Sabres do this off-season? The Miller contract should be simply a matter of fact that it would get done. It's not a coup or a huge victory for the front office.

I know the history and know why some fans and media would go overboard. Signing Miller to this contract doesn't make the Sabres any better than last season. The Sabres are going into the season with basically the same roster just replacing Campbell with Rivet which I don't believe anyone would consider that an upgrade. The Sabres did nothing to address the issues in the forward ranks. They are too small and the players (Mair & Kaleta) would may bring some toughness can't be trusted with more than 6-7 minutes of ice time. They have another forward (Peters) who can't be trusted for more than a couple shifts in a game. You add Connolly and Max to those three and you have 5 players you can't or won't be able to play a regular shift. That is a heavy burden to place on the top 6-7 forwards who are smallish and will wear down over time.

For the Record I am happy Miller has his contract. I just don't see the big deal in light of the failures of the FO to improve the hockey even the slightest. The words Status Quo used to be thrown a lot on this board. I have a feeling with the lack initiative from the FO to improve this team that the words "Status Quo" may start to be seen a lot more often.

should it really be a big deal? I read and heard a lot of opinions that the Sabres front office should get high grades for signing the prospects and now getting Miller's contract done. IMO, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Shouldn't signing prospects and getting your starting goalie signed be the least the Sabres do this off-season? The Miller contract should be simply a matter of fact that it would get done. It's not a coup or a huge victory for the front office.

I know the history and know why some fans and media would go overboard. Signing Miller to this contract doesn't make the Sabres any better than last season. The Sabres are going into the season with basically the same roster just replacing Campbell with Rivet which I don't believe anyone would consider that an upgrade. The Sabres did nothing to address the issues in the forward ranks. They are too small and the players (Mair & Kaleta) would may bring some toughness can't be trusted with more than 6-7 minutes of ice time. They have another forward (Peters) who can't be trusted for more than a couple shifts in a game. You add Connolly and Max to those three and you have 5 players you can't or won't be able to play a regular shift. That is a heavy burden to place on the top 6-7 forwards who are smallish and will wear down over time.

For the Record I am happy Miller has his contract. I just don't see the big deal in light of the failures of the FO to improve the hockey even the slightest. The words Status Quo used to be thrown a lot on this board. I have a feeling with the lack initiative from the FO to improve this team that the words "Status Quo" may start to be seen a lot more often.

Tell you what, DeLuca. When DR either quits or gets fired, let's put a bug in either Larry's or Tommy's ears (or both) and have them suggest that they hire you. That way, you know what it's like to take heat from all of the statueless critics...oops, I mean, fans.

Tell you what, DeLuca. When DR either quits or gets fired, let's put a bug in either Larry's or Tommy's ears (or both) and have them suggest that they hire you. That way, you know what it's like to take heat from all of the statueless critics...oops, I mean, fans.

Should we guess that you consider the front office's inactivity to be a good thing? I will take that you believe the Sabres should be celebrated for signing their draft picks? Maybe a parade because they signed their starting goalie? Look around the NHL and other sports leagues for that matter. It shouldn't be that big of a deal. it shouldn't rate extended coverage from the local sports station. It shouldn't be headline news. It is big news here because of the past failures the Sabres have had in these areas.

I am interested in one thing. Where do you feel the Sabres have improved themselves this off-season?

Should we guess that you consider the front office's inactivity to be a good thing? I will take that you believe the Sabres should be celebrated for signing their draft picks? Maybe a parade because they signed their starting goalie? Look around the NHL and other sports leagues for that matter. It shouldn't be that big of a deal. it shouldn't rate extended coverage from the local sports station. It shouldn't be headline news. It is big news here because of the past failures the Sabres have had in these areas.

I am interested in one thing. Where do you feel the Sabres have improved themselves this off-season?

At the very least it signals a change in the philosophy of the front office, it seems that we won't have to worry about another Drury and Briere type fiasco. Come on man, how is a major correction in the failed policies of the past not a good and significant step for this team? I always a appreciate a devil's advocate DeLuca, but I think you tend to get carried away with it once in a while. This is going to be a better team, even though there haven;t been many changes made. A bunch of solid young talent who are a rough season older and wiser, it only goes up from here.

I really don't think I should be answering this because I already know that whatever answer I give won't be satisfactory in your estimation. Don't take offense to this, but you can be a very harsh critic sometimes.

Acquiring Craig Rivet was definitely a step in the right direction. Granted, I thought that Darcy lost his mind when he traded away Steve Bernier. Then I saw the Rivet deal go through. Then I read other fans' comments with Bernier's "vanishing act." Retrospect can be very embarrassing to say the least.

While bringing in Patrick Lalime may not have been high on fans' expectations, we can only hope that he will be a more capable backup than T-BO. Hopefully the jury won't be out on this one too long.

If you think about it, sometimes developing talent within that we don't see right away is certainly helpful. Jason Pominville is proof of this.

If the Sabres can work out a deal and bring Teppo back, he can certainly be an effective mentor to the young and emerging blueline corps. (Although, on the downside for Numminen, Rivet may bring an added grit that is not so noticeable - in my estimation - with Teppo).

Also, while I'm not going to put "all of my eggs in one basket" and hope the Sabres will finally enter the Promised Land, you have to admit that, in spite of last season's performance, the previous two coming out of the lockout were certainly a step in the right direction.

The organization has tied up its goalie and one of its leaders long term. It is a big deal. You can't expect them not to be happy about it. Should it be their last deal? No. Should they get panned if it is? Yes. But it is big. Not sure how you can argue that? They'd be getting skewered if they went into the season without it being done.

I was thinking the same thing. Miller got signed and everybody made a huge deal out of it... but to me, it's common sense. that's what you do. it's not a big accomplishment. don't buy the FO a trophy. it's what I expected, and now I'm "satisfied"... not "happy" about it.

i realize your end question was have the sabres improved, but with regards to the praise being poured on this organization for this move, than yes, i do think they deserve it.

yes, it is their job, and we should expect them to do so, but reality is teams like the Red Wings, more money, close to home, Sabres "reputation," etc. were all working against Darcy in this negotiation, and yet he found a way for the "little guy" to lock up an elite goalie (although many might dispute this) so in that sense I think the team does deserve a lot of praise.

I don't remember reading a post that proclaimed us cup champions because of our moves this off season. I think the hype surrounding Miller's extension is that of relief and excitement that our FO got one right. Look, every sports team has fans who, no matter what moves are made, are critical of the team's potential and refuse to get excited about their product. I agree that our roster looks almost exact to last years. Is that really so bad? We were 4th in the league in goals scored, and there are TONS of areas that, if slightly improved, get us into the playoffs. Miller's one of those areas, for sure. So, the optimist says lets hope last year was a slight funk and if Lalime can show up and give Miller some rest, we're in. The pessimist (spelling?) says Miller is swiss cheese swimming in a bowl of soft serve ice cream and we just nailed the lid on the coughin for the next 5 years. I'm of the 1st train of thought; Miller bounces back this year.

No team is perfect, and analyzing and being critical of a team is natural, especially for a die hard fan who frequents a message board for said team. Can anyone REALLY blame DeLuca for his doubts? Deep down, we all share those doubts. We just choose to look past them in hopes our team can succeed.

I don't remember reading a post that proclaimed us cup champions because of our moves this off season. I think the hype surrounding Miller's extension is that of relief and excitement that our FO got one right. Look, every sports team has fans who, no matter what moves are made, are critical of the team's potential and refuse to get excited about their product. I agree that our roster looks almost exact to last years. Is that really so bad? We were 4th in the league in goals scored, and there are TONS of areas that, if slightly improved, get us into the playoffs. Miller's one of those areas, for sure. So, the optimist says lets hope last year was a slight funk and if Lalime can show up and give Miller some rest, we're in. The pessimist (spelling?) says Miller is swiss cheese swimming in a bowl of soft serve ice cream and we just nailed the lid on the coughin for the next 5 years. I'm of the 1st train of thought; Miller bounces back this year.

No team is perfect, and analyzing and being critical of a team is natural, especially for a die hard fan who frequents a message board for said team. Can anyone REALLY blame DeLuca for his doubts? Deep down, we all share those doubts. We just choose to look past them in hopes our team can succeed.

I know this is going a bit extreme, but I really think that he'd find something to complain about if the Sabres do win the Cup, i.e. bad playoff beards.

I know this is going a bit extreme, but I really think that he'd find something to complain about if the Sabres do win the Cup, i.e. bad playoff beards.

Well then I guess Briere leaving WAS a good thing, cuz that guy's facial hair was pathetic :unsure:

All I can say is that you sure would make it a big deal if they didn't sign him. Oh, and that it is rediculous that Cambell makes more than Miller and I'm glad we're not the ones paying him.

1. Goal - Lalime started ~30 games last year and won over half of them. TBO couldn't be trusted.

2. Assuming Teppo returns, Defense. Teppo + Rivet >> Soupy + Kalinin.

3. This team was shell shocked last year after what happened. Then the Campbell saga happened, with whispers about Miller being next. Miller made sure that wasn't going to happen this year, and imho, put the team's fortunes ahead of his own fortune. There is definitely some leadership some leadership coming from goal this year.

Have you spent any time reading my posts on this board? I have been far from the Sabres harshest critic. I spent all season defending this front office. That said I will never have blind faith in anyone. I look at the Sabres and see a team that looks far too eerily familiar. I see a team heading into a new season with all the warts and flaws from the previous season. I sit here on July 19th with a long list of concerns.

a) Having Rivet instead of Campbell doesn't make the Sabres a better team.

b) Lalime played his way out of the NHL. He is flawed and teams in the East know how to beat him.

c) Signing Teppo doesn't improve the team at all. He wouldn't have made them a playoff team last season.

d) Connolly won't play over 50 games.

e) Max can't survive in the NHL the way game is being called.

f) The Sabres are too small up front to roll only three lines for 82 games.

g) The Sabres are horrible on face-offs.

I have much more. I would be happy if someone could realistically ease my concerns.

Well, I'll give it a go. My responses in bold.

Have you spent any time reading my posts on this board? I have been far from the Sabres harshest critic. I spent all season defending this front office. That said I will never have blind in anyone. I look at the Sabres and see a team that looks far too eerily familiar. I see a team heading into a new season with all the warts and flaws from the previous season. I sit here on July 19th with a long list of concerns.

a) Having Rivet instead of Campbell doesn't make the Sabres a better team.

Rivet makes the Sabres significantly better in the defensive zone. There is zero question about that as we all know how poor Campbell plays in the defensive zone. Do the Sabres lose offense? Absolutely, but let's not forget, Rivet was the QB for the Sharks PP last season and is coming off a career year in points. I think he only improves that in a more offensive system. I think Rivet is a major upgrade in the defensive zone over Campbell and a slight downgrade offensively, but I'm hoping Sekera can compensate somewhat for what we lost in Campbell.

b) Lalime played his way out of the NHL. He is flawed and teams in the East know how to beat him.

Lalime has not played in the East in quite some time. The landscape of the Eastern Conference has changed significantly since he last played for an Eastern Conference team. Given how we thought Thibault was an improvement over Conklin, I cannot guarantee that Lalime is necessarily an improvement over Thibault. Going by last year, Lalime played a lot of games and did a good enough job in the starts he had while Khabibulin was hurt. I think if used more often than Thibault last year, I think he will get into some rhythm and will outperform Thibault. Hopefully, Miller is also much improved over last year to where the impact of Lalime is minimal anyway.

c) Signing Teppo doesn't improve the team at all. He wouldn't have made them a playoff team last season.

I strongly disagree with this. Teppo's game is a very smart hockey. Teppo was key to the transition offense as he always makes smart break-out passes. He is also very smart in the defensive zone by not taking big hits and is always positionally sound and responsible in that he's never caught running around in the defensive zone a la Lydman and Tallinder last year, and if his partner is playing along the boards he will cover the slot to make sure no forward has a wide open net to shoot at with no one covering said player in the slot, which happened a ton last year as well. Teppo is a poor man's Nik Lidstrom in terms of his style of game. He used to have a big slapper, but it's not as big anymore, but he is effective and provides a calming influence for the rest of the blueliners. I think this team is a playoff team last year if Teppo plays and unfortunately there is no proof for you or me that can show that.

d) Connolly won't play over 50 games.

No argument from me as I still think the Sabres need another center.

e) Max can't survive in the NHL the way game is being called.

I think Gerbe will end up making Max expendable and his production will be such that Max ends up getting traded sooner rather than later.

f) The Sabres are too small up front to roll only three lines for 82 games.

Line pairings have a lot to do with this. However, guys such as Hecht, Vanek, Gaustad, Kotalik and Stafford, I would not consider small players. Also, guys like Paille and Kaleta play a lot bigger than their actual size. I would have preferred to keep Bernier, but such is not the case. I don't think the Sabres are that small necessarily. But, depending on the line pairings, and if Clarke MacArthur becomes a full time member of the team this year, I think there is a distinct possibility to start the season the line pairings are as follows:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

MacArthur-Hecht-Pominville

Kotalik-Connolly-Max

Paille-Gaustad-Mair

A lot of this is in Lindy's hands, but I think the Sabres have enough size, but they need to play more gritty and use their size more effectively. I think the bigger problem is that guys who have size are not using it, and whether you add guys with size or not doesn't matter if they don't use their size to their advantage.

g) The Sabres are horrible on face-offs.

I agree. I think the Sabres need to get one more centerman who can win faceoffs. From what I can tell, Roy and Gaustad are the only two who are decent on faceoffs. Gaustad, however, is not very good on the right side of the ice and tends to defer to Kotalik on that side when they are lined together. I think the Sabres need another center.

I have much more. I would be happy if someone could realistically ease my concerns.

I think it's funny that the two of us have done a complete 180 from last season. I was extremely upset with the front office and bitter with the fiasco that was last offseason. However, I look at this offseason and this team as a young team that almost made the playoffs last year and gave a valiant effort at the end of last season but just missed. I think there's a solid foundation to build on and I believe that a year of growth and maturity will help this team become a contender. I look at the 2007-2008 season as basically the 2003-2004 season, and I'm looking at next season as 2005-2006 with a very good, young, solid foundation of core players. I think if the Sabres can get some more depth at center and bring in one more centerman, I think they become a legitimate contender in the Eastern Conference this year. I'm very pleased with the offseason so far, and a few more moves and this team is back in it, in my opinion.

I think it's funny that the two of us have done a complete 180 from last season. I was extremely upset with the front office and bitter with the fiasco that was last offseason. However, I look at this offseason and this team as a young team that almost made the playoffs last year and gave a valiant effort at the end of last season but just missed. I think there's a solid foundation to build on and I believe that a year of growth and maturity will help this team become a contender. I look at the 2007-2008 season as basically the 2003-2004 season, and I'm looking at next season as 2005-2006 with a very good, young, solid foundation of core players. I think if the Sabres can get some more depth at center and bring in one more centerman, I think they become a legitimate contender in the Eastern Conference this year. I'm very pleased with the offseason so far, and a few more moves and this team is back in it, in my opinion.

Good post. Glad I didn't have to do it.

I agree with everything here and in your mod of Deluca's original message, except that I would be willing to bet that their plan down the middle is Roy, Connolly, Gaustad, Mair with Hecht as a backup plan.

I think there's a solid foundation to build on and I believe that a year of growth and maturity will help this team become a contender. I look at the 2007-2008 season as basically the 2003-2004 season, and I'm looking at next season as 2005-2006 with a very good, young, solid foundation of core players. I think if the Sabres can get some more depth at center and bring in one more centerman, I think they become a legitimate contender in the Eastern Conference this year. I'm very pleased with the offseason so far, and a few more moves and this team is back in it, in my opinion.

Good post, 526. I would just add that while I agree that DeLuca's concerns are legitimate, I think the overall problem afflicting the Sabres last season was not physical but mental. Last summer's CF was a huge stomach punch to the team. I think in the back of their minds, they thought they were playing for a Mickey Mouse organization that wasn't committed to winning. They also didn't have veteran leaders to look to on the ice in crunch time. Signing Miller (and Pominville, which I believe will also happen) will go a long way towards addressing the first issue, and adding Rivet (and hopefully Teppo, which I also believe will happen) will go a long way towards addressing the 2nd issue.

Like 526, I completely disagree about the effect that Teppo would have had on last year -- I absolutely think we would've made the playoffs with him on the team. Now, it's quite possible that we would've been one-and-done, but that's another story.

I agree with everything here and in your mod of Deluca's original message, except that I would be willing to bet that their plan down the middle is Roy, Connolly, Gaustad, Mair with Hecht as a backup plan.

Unfortunately I think you're right here. One physical problem we do have, which DeLuca correctly points out, is that we need to get better at faceoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a center as part of a trade involving Max, but I'm not holding my breath.

I for one think Miller has a lot to prove this coming year. I feel he played poorly and was a main reason we missed the playoffs..With that said he had little help was overworked and was counted on by Lindy to be the next Hasek. Not fair..I think he comes back strong and plays above average this year. They had to sign him longterm no matter what I think about him and I am glad they did..He needs to step up bigtime this year, I htink he has it in him..Wopuld I have signed him for that long of a deal no way but they had to show a hand of strength and they did the right thing..Good luck Ryan....

I have zero faith any more moves will be made. I think once Teppo is signed that's it.

I couldn't disagree more regarding Teppo. Admittedly I have never been a Teppo fan. I feel he gets a pass because of his age. The Sabres had plenty of opportunities to add depth to the blue line and signing Teppo is the laziest option. The Sabres will need kids like Sekera, Weber and Butler to step in if the Sabres are to have a chance at the playoffs.

It is funny how things change. I guess it's a good thing not to get married to any opinion and be open to change. I have to say I really hate the Sabres off-season to date. I don't give points for doing what they should do like signing picks and Miller. To me it's like changing the oil in the Zamboni. You just do it because it needs to get done. I was disappointed with the early rounds off the draft. I hate that Max and Connolly are still Sabres. Lalime is a nothing move to me. I hated losing Bernier. I did like bringing in Rivet, I am just upset they had to give anything up for him when they could have signed a free agent and not given up a thing. I also don't like that Rivet is the only addition. If it were Rivet, another defensemen not named Teppo and a Marty Reasoner who addresses the face-off concerns then I could give the Sabres a passing grade. Not an A or B maybe something like a C.

I have zero faith any more moves will be made. I think once Teppo is signed that's it.

I couldn't disagree more regarding Teppo. Admittedly I have never been a Teppo fan. I feel he gets a pass because of his age. The Sabres had plenty of opportunities to add depth to the blue line and signing Teppo is the laziest option. The Sabres will need kids like Sekera, Weber and Butler to step in if the Sabres are to have a chance at the playoffs.

It is funny how things change. I guess it's a good thing not to get married to any opinion and be open to change. I have to say I really hate the Sabres off-season to date. I don't give points for doing what they should do like signing picks and Miller. To me it's like changing the oil in the Zamboni. You just do it because it needs to get done. I was disappointed with the early rounds off the draft. I hate that Max and Connolly are still Sabres. Lalime is a nothing move to me. I hated losing Bernier. I did like bringing in Rivet, I am just upset they had to give anything up for him when they could have signed a free agent and not given up a thing. I also don't like that Rivet is the only addition. If it were Rivet, another defensemen not named Teppo and a Marty Reasoner who addresses the face-off concerns then I could give the Sabres a passing grade. Not an A or B maybe something like a C.

I was hoping for some off season additions as well. Didn't happen. On paper the team looks similar to the one we just had. I'm left to hope that a long off season (ie rest), maturity and a few bounces our way this year will change the fortunes in six or so games. And in the end, that was the difference. I'm with you on face-offs. While the Sabres have okay face-off guys, they seem to lose the big ones. It will be a different game this year with the faceoffs being moved into the offensive zone on a penalty. Need to win those offensive and defensive faceoffs when that happens.

I don't think anyone is planning a parade, Deluca ... but they did the right thing, i don't think anyone is going overboard just by saying they are happy about it. You are always going to be able to find a "yeah, but ..." because there was no way in hell they were going to clean house and make the wholesale changes you would like in one offseason. The Miller signing was a good one, period. It's not a commentary on the offseason as a whole or their performance over the last 2 years or 10 years.

Personally, I think they are going to TRY to do more than just sign Teppo ... I think they are still looking to deal Max (as they should) and if they can add another defenseman in the process they would like that. But they may not find a partner. I totally agree they are counting on Connolly too much.

So I am not thinking Stanley Cup either. But the organization is in a better place today than it was yesterday ... so that's a good thing.

Is that too much praise?

I don't think anyone is planning a parade, Deluca ... but they did the right thing, i don't think anyone is going overboard just by saying they are happy about it. You are always going to be able to find a "yeah, but ..." because there was no way in hell they were going to clean house and make the wholesale changes you would like in one offseason. The Miller signing was a good one, period. It's not a commentary on the offseason as a whole or their performance over the last 2 years or 10 years.

Personally, I think they are going to TRY to do more than just sign Teppo ... I think they are still looking to deal Max (as they should) and if they can add another defenseman in the process they would like that. But they may not find a partner. I totally agree they are counting on Connolly too much.

So I am not thinking Stanley Cup either. But the organization is in a better place today than it was yesterday ... so that's a good thing.

Is that too much praise?

No, and for once I agree with you on this. The FO FINALLY did something right. There was no question that this deal needed to get done before the season. Now, whether or not they continue this wise path is another question. I am filing this under the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" category until I see more evidence that they are in fact really trying to make an effort to resign Pommer and bring back Teppo and another D-man.

Also, based on some of the things I've read from Miller's agent on this, the Sabres were very aggressive in their offering price for Miller. Anyone wonder why the same philosophy wasn't used on Drury and Briere? Seems to me this just enhances those screw ups. Then again, maybe they learned something from that. I don't know. I'm happy about the signing, but the FO has a long way to go before I can say that I trust their abilities and decision-making.

Archived