Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

I had to terminate an apprentice today. I really like the kid. I’ve broken my back to help him but his list of transgressions has gotten out of hand and for the good of the collective I had to do it. 

I strongly suspect a drug use issue and have sent him for random testing but it’s so easy to tuck a bottle of synthetic under your grundle and pass with flying colors.

It’s sad because if he’d popped hot I could have kept him and provided him with help. This way it just appears that he isn’t capable and doesn’t want to. From the tears in his eyes I could tell that he really wants this.

I even asked him about drugs. I told him I could help but he denied. 

Very sad part of the job.

I started accepting medical students this past month, since Covid, it has been difficult to have students on medical rotations. There are some Rockstars, but dear God, idk what happened to kids in this country. Significant decline in P2P interaction, bedside manor and overall work ethic. Sad to see 

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

I’ve had swelling on the bottom of my foot for a week. Feels like stepping on a golf ball when I walk. Podiatrist says it’s plantar fasciitis, inflammation of the heel. I have to wear a hard shoe insert and do stretching exercises. Anyone else have experience with it?

I’ve dealt with it.  Stretching, inserts, anti inflammatories, and time.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’ve dealt with it.  Stretching, inserts, anti inflammatories, and time.

Check, check, check, and check. @pastajoe, you'll also want to wear shoes all the time for said inserts. And then, one day about 4 months from now you'll take a shower and realize your foot doesn't feel like stepping on a golf ball (or a 2x4 Lego brick) and you'll go to that house party in college and drink... enough... and you'll be in the basement and overly-excitedly yell over the music to that cool girl how you were in the shower and you enjoyed it for the first time since summer. And then the song will end and you'll still be yelling... and...   yeah.

Time. It'll take some time.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Overall, it was pretty satisfying to watch kids learn and progress through a trade.

I’ve been mentoring for decades, instructor for a dozen years. I moved into the new role because I’ve been so passionate about mentoring. 

That’s sort of why this one stung so much. Spent a lot of energy on this young man.

27 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sad to see 

I hate to blame helicopter parenting but GD. Some days it seems like everyone wants me to be their mom. 

I’m happy to oblige with my image of mom. She gave zero Pucks and kicked *****. 

Do or do not, or her favorite….

”Straighten up and fly right!”

”Yes Ma’am.”

Just now, Ogre said:
Edited by Ogre
D’oh!

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

I hate to blame helicopter parenting but GD. Some days it seems like everyone wants me to be their mom. 

I’m happy to oblige with my image of mom. She gave zero and kicked *****. 

Do or do not, or her favorite….

”Straighten up and fly right!”

”Yes Ma’am.”

Yeah, I got the beatdown with whatever utensil was closet to her at the time I was a little #hit, spatula, stapler, fly swatter, you name it... All fair game 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

fly swatter,

I got a spanking at some point and was defiant. “That didn’t hurt!” 

Then she broke out with the wire handled fly swatter and she quickly regained control of the crowd. 

I wish I could see her again. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm bringing up one that was brought up a few weeks ago but it seems to be getting worse.

Serena Williams.

She never was likeable or had much charisma ever, but now she doesn't even play half the time and when she does she isn't the best player anymore. Still, she is getting shoved down our throats:

-Commericals. I don't know how many she is on but I know I see them almost daily.

-F1 races. Why do I need to have her interviewed before a f1 race?

-CNBC.  I turn on a businesses network and not only is she on, but for the 30 minutes before she is on the host get all excited and keep reminding us to 'stay tuned' because she is coming up soon!

-I didn't even read the article, but I saw on a news feed website yesterday an article front and center on the page about some foundation she has that someone made a mistake and credited her sister with something and Serena was mad and 'called them out'.

-Now on my twitter feed also.

Again, I just don't get it. Shes not the best tennis player anymore. She doesn't even play in all the tournaments.  She never was someone who was likeable at all, so why is she EVERYWHERE?

Edited by mjd1001

On 2/24/2022 at 7:11 PM, pastajoe said:

I’ve had swelling on the bottom of my foot for a week. Feels like stepping on a golf ball when I walk. Podiatrist says it’s plantar fasciitis, inflammation of the heel. I have to wear a hard shoe insert and do stretching exercises. Anyone else have experience with it?

I had PF in both feet for a while and tried everything -- podiatrist, shoe inserts, cortisone shot, walking boot -- the works.  Nothing worked until I met with a trainer/sports physical therapist.  He watched me walk, run, sit and stand, told me that I needed to change my stride and posture and showed me what to do.  It worked amazingly well.  I haven't had any PF issues in like 4 years, and I do a lot of walking and a decent amount of running.  So I would highly recommend that you find that kind of professional and give that a try.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe it’s the trauma or maybe the lack of sleep but I’m losing my patience with people .

I’ve got her meds, diet, schedule, visits, EVERYTHING under control. Liquid diet. I’ll say it again because no one in my world gets it. Liquid ***** diet. I don’t need bowls of mashed potatoes and cheesy grits. Nor do I need homemade soups that have bite sized pieces that she can’t eat. “Just thin out the grits” “Just strain out the chunks”. 
How about you stop jamming my GD fridge with nonsense she can’t even have!

I asked my in-laws over to sit with her while I ran out to deal with some “small town pharmacy can’t deal with no-fault insurance” BS that was resolved with my original suggestion over the phone. When I get back my MIL(one of the fridge jammers)was all in my space with “want to help”. I was so GD annoyed that I finally told her that she could help by giving me the GD space that I need to do what I need to do.

Wanna help? Water some of these ***** houseplants that people keep sending over here! Like I don’t have enough important ***** to do, now I have 50 houseplants to water!

I get that you want to help, but for the love of life, help me clean, help me give her sponge baths, help me deal with the pharmacy and insurance and our taxes and all the ***** that bogs me down.

I don’t need to clean the ***** fridge out every two GD days.

And I need help sleeping. I keep seeing the god awful, gory images from the ER in my head as I lye there. I tried drinking one night only to wake in the middle of the night with the images in full force.

I think I’ve aged 5 years in the past 5 days.

• Sad 2

So, every morning for the past week and the next 5 weeks, I have gone and have to go to the hospital to get radiation treatment. I hit my head in early February and had what I thought were concussion issues. My wife made me go to the ER for a ct scan a week and a half later. They found a brain tumor and removed it exactly one month ago today. They say there will be side effects from the chemo and radiation. I haven't felt any yet.

Because of this,  I'm currently on short term disability and don't have to work for up to 6 months.

None of this is my complaint. I feel absolutely amazing, and incredibly lucky.

My complaint is that I can't believe how many hours in the day there are to try and fill, especially without being able drink away 4 or 5 of them. Do most people just watch TV or play video games to fill the time, cuz I'm still looking for things to do. I mean, I can only practice my bass and record so many hours in a day.

• Like (+1) 5

Damn Swamp, sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you're doing well though hope that continues 👍 

Edit: Being home all day with nothing to do is maddening. Used to love it when I was younger but now if I have a day of nothing I'll drive myself crazy. Gotta read, do house projects, and at least get out for a walk or errands once a day to break up the monotony.

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

So, every morning for the past week and the next 5 weeks, I have gone and have to go to the hospital to get radiation treatment. I hit my head in early February and had what I thought were concussion issues. My wife made me go to the ER for a ct scan a week and a half later. They found a brain tumor and removed it exactly one month ago today. They say there will be side effects from the chemo and radiation. I haven't felt any yet.

Because of this,  I'm currently on short term disability and don't have to work for up to 6 months.

My complaint is that I can't believe how many hours in the day there are to try and fill, especially without being able drink away 4 or 5 of them. Do most people just watch TV or play video games to fill the time, cuz I'm still looking for things to do. I mean, I can only practice my bass and record so many hours in a day.

I am very happy that you are doing as well as you are and that the tumor was found and removed.  The post op treatments suck, but are needed.  Best wishes to you, my friend.

Are you able to read?  A good book will make the hours run away.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I am very happy that you are doing as well as you are and that the tumor was found and removed.  The post op treatments suck, but are needed.  Best wishes to you, my friend.

Are you able to read?  A good book will make the hours run away.

That actually was on the agenda. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Fishing season is fast approaching…..

• Like (+1) 1