Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

My wife and I are working with a couple of rescue groups to adopt a dog.  My complaint today is how awful some people treat other animals.

Breeders that breed dogs continuously and then dump them at the pound when resultant medical issues crop up.  Or people abandoning elderly dogs.  Hunting dogs abandoned because they aren’t good at hunting.  Unwanted litters dumped.

What better analogy for our society is there than not doing the ethical thing to make sure your dog doesn’t get bred and then walking away from the results of breeding.

Between political strife, pandemic strife, and our cruelty towards intelligent, social animals, my expectations for people to do the right thing is shot.  We just suck.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Weave said:

My wife and I are working with a couple of rescue groups to adopt a dog.  My complaint today is how awful some people treat other animals.

Breeders that breed dogs continuously and then dump them at the pound when resultant medical issues crop up.  Or people abandoning elderly dogs.  Hunting dogs abandoned because they aren’t good at hunting.  Unwanted litters dumped.

What better analogy for our society is there than not doing the ethical thing to make sure your dog doesn’t get bred and then walking away from the results of breeding.

Between political strife, pandemic strife, and our cruelty towards intelligent, social animals, my expectations for people to do the right thing is shot.  We just suck.

Yes we do. But hugging dogs is awesome. Go hug dogs. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

We do this with people every day. We make new people then wipe our hands of any responsibility for these new people and leave it to others to try to deal with.

that was def my point.  We are good at not doing the preventive stuff and even better at throwing away the results.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Weave said:

Not a complaint at all, we did adopt a dog today.  A gorgeous 1.5yr old black lab that was found living in a ditch in Kentucky.  Her name is Mabel and she is a very shy sweetheart.

2D5783D7-63E6-4828-B9BA-C6D2FFB021BA.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Florida. Thats it. That is my complaint summary, Florida.

I am finishing up a trip to visit relatives in Florida.  No one knows how to drive here, 90mph on I-95 seems normal, cutting across 3 lanes to hit the exit happens in front of you every 10 minutes.

Its the land of strip plazas and shopping malls, no character anywhere.  Food isn't good. Water is AWFUL. I could go on....just...Florida.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Somebody really messed up this poor girl we adopted.  She is the sweetest thing and it is apparent that she’s been mistreated.  We’ve got our work cut out for us to get her trusting humans again.

I'll bet it'll be an incredible feeling for both you and her when she does.

Edited by Indabuff
TNWSS
  • Like (+1) 1

This is kinda heavy, but here goes:  we received an email from my daughter's high school informing us that one of her basketball teammates suddenly became very ill over Christmas weekend and died.  She was 15 years old and an excellent athlete (and didn't have asthma or diabetes or any other serious condition that my daughter knew of).

I cannot imagine what her parents must be going through.

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is kinda heavy, but here goes:  we received an email from my daughter's high school informing us that one of her basketball teammates suddenly became very ill over Christmas weekend and died.  She was 15 years old and an excellent athlete (and didn't have asthma or diabetes or any other serious condition that my daughter knew of).

That is sad.

I hope your daughter gets through this OK.

• Like (+1) 1

So very sad.  A parents' worst nightmare that will never go away.  I could never begin to imagine. 

They normally have grief counselors accessible at those unfortunate times (a young boy passed away at my kids' school).  I wonder how many kids use them.  At that age they'd probably brush them off but I'd bet they'd do a lot of good if the kids gave them a chance.  Hope your daughter gets through okay.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

My condolences to the family.  That is really tough.

• Like (+1) 1

Went to our skating pond, which is 300 yards from the house down a bush trail.

I shoveled it and came back to the house to get 10 gallons of water to flood it.

It looks good and the weather is great.

While I was out there, the mother of one of my son’s teammates came by and grabbed his skates for a sharpenening. The boys U18 team has a practice tonight and she was getting some skates done. My son’s skates will be brought to the practice tonight.

Oh well, the pond should be good tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 3

We’ve had our rescue dog for about a week and a half.  On out noon walk she got off the leash. So, through the neighborhood we go trying to get her to stop so I can releash her.

Shes in the middle of the road and she stops.  As I get almost within arms length of her some asshat blasts his horn.  Of course she spooks and runs off.  
Fortunately, she stopped running at the next block and I was able to get her back on leash.

What kind of douchebag hits their horn when you are trying to get a loose dog leashed?  

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

What kind of douchebag hits their horn when you are trying to get a loose dog leashed?  

Sorry about the doosh but I wanted to say I'm so glad Mabel has a good furrever home.

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Bought a house -> great

All of the work needed -> not great

Bathroom remodels are fun 🙃

Bathrooms and kitchens in older homes are always scary remodels.  When you remove the old stuff you see the water damage and it's frightening.

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

We’ve had our rescue dog for about a week and a half.  On out noon walk she got off the leash. So, through the neighborhood we go trying to get her to stop so I can releash her.

Shes in the middle of the road and she stops.  As I get almost within arms length of her some asshat blasts his horn.  Of course she spooks and runs off.  
Fortunately, she stopped running at the next block and I was able to get her back on leash.

My last foster dog was a coonhound. She got out the door and went directly 4 neighbors down, into their backyard, right to their chicken coop. Clicked on the leash and walked her home lol. 

She could also jump and almost catch birds at the feeder 8 feet high. They all take about 4-5 weeks to set a schedule and rules. 

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Sorry about the doosh but I wanted to say I'm so glad Mabel has a good furrever home.

Bathrooms and kitchens in older homes are always scary remodels.  When you remove the old stuff you see the water damage and it's frightening.

Well this does nothing to ease my panic 😅

2 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

My last foster dog was a coonhound. She got out the door and went directly 4 neighbors down, into their backyard, right to their chicken coop. Clicked on the leash and walked her home lol. 

She could also jump and almost catch birds at the feeder 8 feet high. They all take about 4-5 weeks to set a schedule and rules. 

We’ve only started working on basic commands a couple of days ago.  And she’s still not entirely comfortable with her surroundings.  I was genuinely afraid  she was gone.  She did on 2 occasions stop and let me approach.  She’s learning to trust us, but it’s still not her first impulse.   I’m glad she ultimately trusted me enough to let me leash her.  Its only been about 10 days.

I’m still stressed out over an hour later.