Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, Weave said:

We got our RAV4 just as the rush was coming into full swing.  I swear there were going to be fist fights in the dealership over who got to buy a car.  Glad we got ours when we did.

I’m hoping this ***** ebbs somewhat come Spring.  It’s about time to replace my Grand Cherokee.

Seems the Spring is the earliest this shortage MIGHT abate.

And it's trickled down to the used car market, too.  Friend has a used car dealership & he said auctions that used to have 1,400 car have about a dozen cars now.

That's just nuts.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Seems the Spring is the earliest this shortage MIGHT abate.

And it's trickled down to the used car market, too.  Friend has a used car dealership & he said auctions that used to have 1,400 car have about a dozen cars now.

That's just nuts.

My buddy who works as an engineer for Toyota says things might not get back to normal until 2023.

• Sad 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:01 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

There is an ongoing problem with computer chip supply.  The run on laptops during the pandemic lockdowns has taken all the supply.  The story will be similar everywhere.

+++++

Our beloved Acura Legend (1992 ... British Racing Green ... 😎) has a problem. 

A week ago we were going to take her out for a little tour and she wouldn't start.  Had CAA over and they could not figure it out.  Battery is new and fine.

Seemed to not be cranking over, so maybe no spark.  Changed the spark plugs on Saturday (it was needed) and still no go.

Call my mechanic and have an appointment booked for 8:00 AM on Wednesday, October 6th.  Need to get it towed by CAA at about 6:30 AM.  That's gonna be a long and probably expensive and not fun overall day, but hey it's all good.  I can't really complain ... just venting a little bit.  If I wanted to complain it would be about our recent election here in Canada.  Having a little get together with neighbours tomorrow afternoon for just that purpose.

The problem is actually bigger than just cars.   There is a worldwide shortage on everything and its apparent how dependant the world is on China for production now more than ever.

It started a year ago when most shipping containers were stuck in USA ports because of lack of manpower.   China is also placing heavy restrictions as soon as a city has a covid outbreak.    Entire ports and airports were shutdown for weeks at a time.    

Already seeing everything getting more expensive, Energy being the most important part of this.   Electricity and gas prises rose over 10 % in one day.   I think the world is pretty much going to hell right now.

46 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If you don’t want to maintain a house(especially the exterior) there is an alternative.  It’s called an apartment.  

What if you want to maintain a house and your ***** spindles, pillars, and railings are all ***** backordered 6 weeks into the job! My new steps look good though...

I do know what you mean. My neighbor to one side of me has decided that his backyard is just a dumpster for spent plant containers. There's hundreds of them back there. All I can do is let the hedges grow in thick and tall, and only trim them to keep them even.

I am in Romania, I happened to lose my rental car key in Brasov, looked alllll day, even had a local helping ask on the streets, called the local police etc.. 

So that day was a lost cause, which threw off my tenative planned schedule... There weren't many options on getting the spare key (which was a 180 euro charge also) so I rented a separate car from sixt in Brasov, drove the 6 hours round trip to Bucharest Airport to pick up the spare key so I wouldn't waste the next day. 

I get back to the city, drop the rental off that I had for 7 hours, The F***in spare key I just drove 6 hours to get was the incorrect one, I had to pay a local company to Jimmy the doors open as all my luggage was inside. 

I basically spent the whole night on the phone with enterprise, they had no solution, so I made them bring me a new car, sure enough at 4pm the next day a tow truck came with a new rental on the back to make the swap. 

When I drop this new rental off next week at the airport I am going to fight tooth and nail that my whole trip be wiped clean from payment because of this whole situation. 

I've rented cars in 70 countries and I've never had anything like this happen before. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I am in Romania, I happened to lose my rental car key in Brasov, looked alllll day, even had a local helping ask on the streets, called the local police etc.. 

So that day was a lost cause, which threw off my tenative planned schedule... There weren't many options on getting the spare key (which was a 180 euro charge also) so I rented a separate car from sixt in Brasov, drove the 6 hours round trip to Bucharest Airport to pick up the spare key so I wouldn't waste the next day. 

I get back to the city, drop the rental off that I had for 7 hours, The F***in spare key I just drove 6 hours to get was the incorrect one, I had to pay a local company to Jimmy the doors open as all my luggage was inside. 

I basically spent the whole night on the phone with enterprise, they had no solution, so I made them bring me a new car, sure enough at 4pm the next day a tow truck came with a new rental on the back to make the swap. 

When I drop this new rental off next week at the airport I am going to fight tooth and nail that my whole trip be wiped clean from payment because of this whole situation. 

I've rented cars in 70 countries and I've never had anything like this happen before. 

Dude, you got off lucky.  Didn't you ever see "Hostel?" 😉

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hey @Wyldnwoody44,

When you make your way to Transylvania ...

If you hitch a ride and a dude named Vlad stops ... don't get in the car.

And if you see a sweet transvestite named Frankie hitch hiking you may not want to stop ... then again, you could do worse ...

Vlad.... That thief. 

I like to think my nickname in high school was the Impaler 😂🤣

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That's not really the issue with the chips. The issue is that automotive computers run on very old technology with very old style chips that basically only cars and trucks use anymore. There is little financial incentive for chip manufacturers to invest in increasing capacity of obsolete technology. Car companies do this because car computers basically need to be bulletproof and developing and testing out new stuff is very costly when you have something you know works already. Chip manufacturers are shifting production to other more lucrative lines and the automotive people aren't getting what they need and the chip people have little reason to want to make more of those style chips. Imagine you are in 1910 and have a buggy whip factory. You can either keep making buggy whips for a decreasing number of customers or you can move production to something else in a growing market. That's where we are with chips and cars. Even if consumer for demand for other stuff slows down it won't solve the car problem because those manufacturers aren't going to pump money into obsolete tech. It will only be fixed when the car companies get with the program and design computers and sensors that use the new chips.

Sent you a beer.

Also, the return key is your friend ... lol!!

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Was on vacation last week ☀️ and have nothing to complain about right now, but about 930 tonight that might change. 😈

You don't expect that to change until 9:30-ish?  Sir, you are what they call an optimist.  😉

(Truthfully, could actually see them winning tonight.  Habs lost a tough 1 last night, still have no semblance of a PP, & likely will put in their 3rd stringer rather than a tired Allen.)

Just went to 5 different stores looking for canned air(keyboard cleaning, etc…).  No luck anywhere. 😡  

Ordered on Amazon and it will be here tomorrow.  Anyone wonder why Amazon is putting brick and mortar stores out of business? 

Edited by LabattBlue

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Just went to 5 different stores looking for canned air(keyboard cleaning, etc…).  No luck anywhere. 😡  

Ordered on Amazon and it will be here tomorrow.  Anyone wonder why Amazon is putting brick and mortar stores out of business? 

I have had canned air on my grocery list for 2 months.... Not because i couldn't find it, just that I forget to even look for it when at the stores that would have it.