Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

This has been one of those weeks where I've lost countless hours to fighting with either robots or electronics that don't seem to want to work, and it's driving me bonkers.

My car apparently has some kind of transmission defect that's causing it to think it's not in park and lock the key in the ignition, which is fun.  Hoping they'll agree to pay for that repair tomorrow morning.

And I've been trying to do some online courses for certifications as I work on beefing up my resume to have more options for where I want to go next, but I'm so stuck on this one class.  Was going fine initially, but the instructor shows how to do something using his machine with Unix, and doesn't explain how to find the correct file path / location settings for running elsewhere.  I've been searching all kinds of things to try and figure it out myself, and after hours of searching I can't figure it out.  It's demoralizing and makes me question why I'm bothering to try at all.  (Anyone know anything about running Python in a Windows environment???)

And the exercise routine I'd managed to get into over the summer went down the drain in Sept., so now I'm trying to get back into it again.  Always a struggle.

Edited by biodork

5 hours ago, biodork said:

This has been one of those weeks where I've lost countless hours to fighting with either robots or electronics that don't seem to want to work, and it's driving me bonkers.

My car apparently has some kind of transmission defect that's causing it to think it's not in park and lock the key in the ignition, which is fun.  Hoping they'll agree to pay for that repair tomorrow morning.

And I've been trying to do some online courses for certifications as I work on beefing up my resume to have more options for where I want to go next, but I'm so stuck on this one class.  Was going fine initially, but the instructor shows how to do something using his machine with Unix, and doesn't explain how to find the correct file path / location settings for running elsewhere.  I've been searching all kinds of things to try and figure it out myself, and after hours of searching I can't figure it out.  It's demoralizing and makes me question why I'm bothering to try at all.  (Anyone know anything about running Python in a Windows environment???)

And the exercise routine I'd managed to get into over the summer went down the drain in Sept., so now I'm trying to get back into it again.  Always a struggle.

Bio, if you want I can put out the call for you on Facebook. I'm positive I know someone who could help. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Not really complaining, but still:  my wife and I are taking my daughter and 3 of her friends to upstate NY for the weekend.  My wife has a few things to do during the day and is going to take the train up early tomorrow, which leaves me driving 4 teenage girls tomorrow evening on a 2-hour road trip.  Yikes!

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Not really complaining, but still:  my wife and I are taking my daughter and 3 of her friends to upstate NY for the weekend.  My wife has a few things to do during the day and is going to take the train up early tomorrow, which leaves me driving 4 teenage girls tomorrow evening on a 2-hour road trip.  Yikes!

Hope you like Taylor Swift

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Crippling existential angst has finally come for me I think. It's probably been there my whole life. But I probably need to start dealing with it. 

Quarter life crisis? Man, I wish somebody would have warned me about that one

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

May the force be with you ...

Everything I've been howling about in the random thread this last week. 

But hey, good news, they're releasing my dad and he'll hopefully fly home today. I guess he had tons of visitors in the hospital because he's so well loved at his company. Course, if they really loved him, they'd force the dude to retire... 

God, I'm afraid to check my phone anymore.

I had a lot of friends/people I hardly see reach out to me in the past couple of days, everything from kind thoughts to offers to cook/grocery shop. I know every day is inundated with a$$holes and bad news, but there really are a lot of good people out there, flying under the radar like little superheroes until you need them. It's nice to know. 

And I guess more on the good news front- dark and I both have finally accepted we should probably go get therapists to deal with our own personal mountains of existential void screaming bullsh!t. Hooray! I've been putting it off for years. But now I can't not do it, right? Just daunting crap. Everything's daunting. I'm tired. Wahh.

• Haha (+1) 1

A coworker screwed up and now we all have to cover for their part because it has snowballed and the boss decided to pull them from the project. The pulling them is why we have to cover, I would have made them tough it out. Nothing like an awkward work environment. 

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I learned the ways of the modern world by driving my then teenage daughter and her friends home from practice while they were in the backseat talking as if I was invisible. You may be in for the treat of your life if you have the stomach for it (and KEEP QUIET).

4 hours worth of training today. Active shooter+fire+another job specific training. Then a very long Ethics training. Looooong! Telling me not to discriminate or allow discrimination, not to harass or allow harassment and to suck it up regarding the rampant abuse of FMLA because there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. It was a legal "cover your ass" seminar...

5 minutes ago, ubkev said:

4 hours worth of training today. Active shooter+fire+another job specific training. Then a very long Ethics training. Looooong! Telling me not to discriminate or allow discrimination, not to harass or allow harassment and to suck it up regarding the rampant abuse of FMLA because there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. It was a legal "cover your ass" seminar...

Duck and Cover ?. PS We had that in our Hospital this summer... Luckily not so long and it came with a memo. 

My car is humming. Nope, nope, nope, don't like it one bit. It's not the exhaust, that sounds fine. It's not the transmission, it's shifting fine, and the fluid is good(that was fun to get to, by the way). Power steering fluid is good, all my belts are good. AWD vehicle and I'm praying it's not the transfer case, but I need a lift to check that...oh and someone who knows more about cars than my dumb ass.

The only person on this Earth that I trust with this is my brother and he's 200 miles away and isn't a mechanic anymore. He's been trying to diagnose this over the phone while I fumble around under the hood like a monkey doing a math problem. 

Now I have to take this to someone I don't trust because I didn't learn useful life skills. F### me!

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, ubkev said:

My car is humming. Nope, nope, nope, don't like it one bit. It's not the exhaust, that sounds fine. It's not the transmission, it's shifting fine, and the fluid is good(that was fun to get to, by the way). Power steering fluid is good, all my belts are good. AWD vehicle and I'm praying it's not the transfer case, but I need a lift to check that...oh and someone who knows more about cars than my dumb ass.

The only person on this Earth that I trust with this is my brother and he's 200 miles away and isn't a mechanic anymore. He's been trying to diagnose this over the phone while I fumble around under the hood like a monkey doing a math problem. 

Now I have to take this to someone I don't trust because I didn't learn useful life skills. F### me!

Tell me more about the humming. I assume it's only when the car is in motion? Is it constant, or does it change with speed? 

Also, year/make/model?

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Tell me more about the humming. I assume it's only when the car is in motion? Is it constant, or does it change with speed? 

Also, year/make/model?

Only in high gear, after the car is warm it seems. Constant hum that isn't the same as when the engine growls when I thromp on it. It's near it but it isn't it. The pitch of the hum never changes. Sounds like something that should be very quiet running is now running slightly louder, just loud enough to notice.

07 infiniti g35x

Edited by ubkev

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

Crippling existential angst has finally come for me I think. It's probably been there my whole life. But I probably need to start dealing with it. 

Had to look that up to see what the hell it is.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Only in high gear, after the car is warm it seems. Constant hum that isn't the same as when the engine growls when I thromp on it. It's near it but it isn't it. The pitch of the hum never changes. Sounds like something that should be very quiet running is now running slightly louder, just loud enough to notice.

07 infiniti g35x

How old are your tires? I bet it's tires/alignment.

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

How old are your tires? I bet it's tires/alignment.

Brand spankin new, and the alignment is dead on. I had new tires put on before I went to Florida in August.

Edited by ubkev