Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

There may be some warning signs — squealing, etc. — but I think they just go.

You guys are not helping! Now I really want to gamble. I think the Hyundais are reliable cars, and I have a hard time believing the timing belt is likely to break so close to the mileage it's supposed to be replaced at. I bet Hyundai knows that the likely danger zone is well into the future. Underpromise, overdeliver, something like that.

You bastages. Your cars have timing chains, not belts. The chains never get replaced. (But please confirm this; I pretty much looked at the first site that came up in my search.)

I think the chains eventually stretch and need adjustments more frequently. If not adjusted they throw off the valve timing (which would reduce performance, emissions, and possibly cause that catastrophic valve interference if they get too far out of whack).

This video is pretty cool, it shows a partial cycle of the engine. Intake valve on the right, I think, then compression as the piston comes up from the bottom, power as the burning fuel expands, and exhaust on the left. Note how the valves appear to occupy the same space as the piston at times, which if left open would get smashed.

There may be some warning signs — squealing, etc. — but I think they just go.

You guys are not helping! Now I really want to gamble. I think the Hyundais are reliable cars, and I have a hard time believing the timing belt is likely to break so close to the mileage it's supposed to be replaced at. I bet Hyundai knows that the likely danger zone is well into the future. Underpromise, overdeliver, something like that.

You bastages. Your cars have timing chains, not belts. The chains never get replaced. (But please confirm this; I pretty much looked at the first site that came up in my search.)

I really think you're worrying too much about it. When it dies in rural PA and you have a 50/50 chance of being shot by the 3-toothed farmer as you approach his home for help, that's when you should worry.

I really think you're worrying too much about it. When it dies in rural PA and you have a 50/50 chance of being shot by the 3-toothed farmer as you approach his home for help, that's when you should worry.

But there's also a 50% chance he has a hot daughter, and there's pie.

Bossman moved us into new office, forgot to put airco in. Send him a mail that in vietnamese camps, they also had sweatboxes for the prisoners.

was 32 degrees celsius in the office last week, can't wait for tomorrow :P

No one here knows how cold that is.

Things have deteriorated quickly here in the swamps of NJ since my last post. The kid caught a nasty stomach bug yesterday and it just hit my wife and I. oof.

One Flyin' Hawaiian comin' up.

I'm so pleased I checked urban dictionary.

In the last week or two, we've received organizational emails describing what a great year it's been, how financially sound the hospital and university are, etc., as well as describing a new set of rather large internal grants to be offered in the near future for physician-scientists (my boss is one). Notably absent: any mention of the staff salary increases that traditionally go into effect July 1 and would have been present in today's paycheck. :thumbdown:

In the last week or two, we've received organizational emails describing what a great year it's been, how financially sound the hospital and university are, etc., as well as describing a new set of rather large internal grants to be offered in the near future for physician-scientists (my boss is one). Notably absent: any mention of the staff salary increases that traditionally go into effect July 1 and would have been present in today's paycheck. :thumbdown:

just experienced that back in May/April. Except they mentioned nobody was getting anything over 3% and that the excess profit was being put into new equipment (yet to be seen) and then a ridiculous amount was put into carpets and floor cleaning...as well as some new flower beds and trees... I feel ya here, and it blows.

I have a few complaints, but I can't share them for a variety of reasons. In a few weeks (no more than a month) I'll be able to share the news, but for now, I must keep it to myself.

just experienced that back in May/April. Except they mentioned nobody was getting anything over 3% and that the excess profit was being put into new equipment (yet to be seen) and then a ridiculous amount was put into carpets and floor cleaning...as well as some new flower beds and trees... I feel ya here, and it blows.

I have a few complaints, but I can't share them for a variety of reasons. In a few weeks (no more than a month) I'll be able to share the news, but for now, I must keep it to myself.

I'd be thrilled with 3%... typically we get a paltry 1-2%, which doesn't even keep pace with cost of living increases. But at least it's something, and it sucks that they can't be bothered to do it. Last year they announced in mid-August they had approved a 2% increase, but it wasn't going to show up in our checks until the end of Sept (even though it was retroactive to July 1). I don't know why they can't get this done properly. It's not like the timing is a surprise, and WE'RE the reason the institution is doing well, not the empty suits collecting obscene paychecks.

Hope your news/complaints aren't too bad, dEnnis.

We got a 4% for the first time since I have been here and the first across the board raise in 5 years. Only reason is because it is an election year.

My actual complaint is I am sitting here right now for the 3rd time in two weeks waiting for a coworker. She suddenly isn't doing her ###### job and is all nonchalant about it. I mean be mentioning this to our boss because I don't have extra time to cover your sh!t.

A cool benefit provided by my company is a massage therapist - she comes on site once every two weeks. I usually make an appointment to see her and did this week (she's in high demand), but cancelled this time because I had a meeting for a high-profile project and I felt it was necessary to attend.

This meeting got cancelled an hour before the time my appointment was originally scheduled for. :censored:

Edited by Buffalo Wings

I'd be thrilled with 3%... typically we get a paltry 1-2%, which doesn't even keep pace with cost of living increases. But at least it's something, and it sucks that they can't be bothered to do it. Last year they announced in mid-August they had approved a 2% increase, but it wasn't going to show up in our checks until the end of Sept (even though it was retroactive to July 1). I don't know why they can't get this done properly. It's not like the timing is a surprise, and WE'RE the reason the institution is doing well, not the empty suits collecting obscene paychecks.

Hope your news/complaints aren't too bad, dEnnis.

the complaints themselves are more of a nuisance to the flow of the overall news. the news is great but I am bound to not say anything yet. There's a complaint: not being able to share potentially superb news until after a chain of events occurs.

and my company saying 3% was max was just a figure they could use to say "hey, we can hand out raises up to 3%" even though the average was close to 2.0%. so only select ppl got that 3%.

Trying to find a 7-12 ELA or SpEd job in the greater Rochester area. I just learned that the position I interviewed for had +600 applicants. No seriously what the hell is that...

Looks like I might be going back to school to get a third certification. Hopefully I have enough credits to qualify for the Gen. Science cert exam or i'll be adding night classes.