Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Nothing like waking up to a Monsoon in (checks calender) Mid/Late JANUARY!! That season pass for skiing is turning out to be a bad investment, this is the funkiest weather pattern I've ever seen in a WNY "winter" 

Luckily I'm heading to Quebec city on Monday for some skiing and general getaway. 

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Nothing like waking up to a Monsoon in (checks calender) Mid/Late JANUARY!! That season pass for skiing is turning out to be a bad investment, this is the funkiest weather pattern I've ever seen in a WNY "winter" 

Luckily I'm heading to Quebec city on Monday for some skiing and general getaway. 

I hope you find the snow, we were looking at Old Forge NY this weekend and there's not enough snow there to do anything.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:59 PM, LTS said:

I'm officially in powerpoint hell. 

That is all.

Heinous deckery most foul.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:04 PM, Eleven said:

None of us did.  We only got 64 grey crayons.  All the same shade.

sp71925485_sc7?wid=1536&hei=1536

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I hope you find the snow, we were looking at Old Forge NY this weekend and there's not enough snow there to do anything.

Heinous deckery most foul.

sp71925485_sc7?wid=1536&hei=1536

I'm skiing Le Masif in Charlevoix and Mt St Anne, it looks like I'm up North enough thst everything is running fully. North of QC

• Like (+1) 1

Today was reduction in force day at work.

I had to let someone go and it sucks.. no two ways about it. Having to let someone go not directly because of their performance but primarily because of the performance of others, the current market conditions, etc. Then having to look at my team and say.. it's going to be this person because I have to be that passionless analytical person to make a decision.

You spend all this time building rapport with your employees. You know them. And then the day comes and you have to be a cold hearted jerk again because you aren't allowed to say anything other than the passionless legalese that HR has prepared. All so we don't get sued. I know I had to make the decision but having to deliver it like the person never mattered to the company is BS.

It's not just my company so I can't fault them, but it's the system and it sucks. I understand how we got here.. it doesn't make it any less crappy.

I've been on the receiving end of it a few times and I know my way of handling things is very different than others and I knew it was going to be an awful experience for them because there was no way of relaying any emotion to them.

I'm rambling.. so I will stop.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LTS said:

Today was reduction in force day at work.

I had to let someone go and it sucks.. no two ways about it. Having to let someone go not directly because of their performance but primarily because of the performance of others, the current market conditions, etc. Then having to look at my team and say.. it's going to be this person because I have to be that passionless analytical person to make a decision.

You spend all this time building rapport with your employees. You know them. And then the day comes and you have to be a cold hearted jerk again because you aren't allowed to say anything other than the passionless legalese that HR has prepared. All so we don't get sued. I know I had to make the decision but having to deliver it like the person never mattered to the company is BS.

It's not just my company so I can't fault them, but it's the system and it sucks. I understand how we got here.. it doesn't make it any less crappy.

I've been on the receiving end of it a few times and I know my way of handling things is very different than others and I knew it was going to be an awful experience for them because there was no way of relaying any emotion to them.

I'm rambling.. so I will stop.

This is one of the reasons I chose to go back to being an individual contributor again.  Being the guy that delivers life changing decisions was too stressful for me to continue to do it.

• Thanks (+1) 3

I feel that, giving hard news is awful, only recently, on Christmas, I had to tell a wife that her husband didn't make it. Worst part of the job by far. 

She punched the wall next to me in agony and frustration, not at anything I did, but because it's hard to get that news, she broke her hand in the process and needed to sign in as a patient. 

I have zero part in letting employees go, I will never be in that position again. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I feel that, giving hard news is awful, only recently, on Christmas, I had to tell a wife that her husband didn't make it. Worst part of the job by far. 

She punched the wall next to me in agony and frustration, not at anything I did, but because it's hard to get that news, she broke her hand in the process and needed to sign in as a patient. 

I have zero part in letting employees go, I will never be in that position again. 

I can't even imagine delivering that kind of news. That's the ultimate even if people accept everything dies they don't go around welcoming it. To have to deliver that information...  I feel for you sir.

5 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Flu season sucks. Even with a shot I got it. 

Yeah those shots are hit and miss.   Best case it protects against 40% of flu variants out there.   But each year its a gamble which ones will manifest.   
But the one against pig flu gets put in it every year.

I lost my father nearly 7 years ago. Today he would have been 77 years old. 
He was tough as hell. He worked his ass off. He was a hard nosed father. He made certain that my ass got kicked on a regular basis. He was smart, charismatic, kind hearted, quick witted, funniest guys ever. I use his colloquialisms daily.

After these many years, the sting of his hand has faded. I’ve forgiven those moments when his anger made me fear for my life. After all, life IS hard.

I forgive you, man, because those difficult moments have set me up to become a true force. I have real influence in my city. 

I have enormous levels of confidence partly because I’ve inherited those genes from him, but because in all of those difficult moments that I had with him, I learned more and more about myself, how deeply I exist.

At birth, he gave me his first name as my middle and I am so much like him.

Serendipity.

I forgive you, man, and I love you.

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It's that time of year when I really don't keep track of the days.  They just blend together.  Client year-ends.  Payroll to start fresh with the new year and new tax deduction rules.  Tax season at my throat.

The life of a CPA.

Not really a complaint, I suppose, but thanks for listening.

Here's a quick summary of the conference call I just had.

Me: I talked with person X. This specific task was not done.
Co-worker: That task definitely should have been done ahead of time.  You should talk to person X and see if it was done.
Me: I just talked with person X an hour ago.  It was not done.
Co-worker: Well you should talk with person X to see if it was done.  Can we get shrader in touch with person X?

I say co-worker, but that person is someone way up the management ladder.  It's good to know that they're not paying attention.

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I wish there was a way to disable images/gifs from my forum feed.  Nothing but clutter and way overused by some.  

Now get the F off of my lawn. 😂

Guilty as charged if you mean tweets.