Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Not having to deal with an overly chatty cashier is all the reason I need to love self checkout.

Its not always the cashier, it is the customer.

Not to go out of my way to pick on 'older people' (I'm in the middle but closer to being eligible for AARP than I am the age of a typical college student), but when I do use regular chekouts and am behind someone 65 or older....I see that those customers typically take the cashier saying 'have a nice day' as an invitation to a much longer converstation.

Edited by mjd1001

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Not to go out of my way to pick on 'older people' (I'm in the middle but closer to being eligible for AARP than I am the age of a typical college student), but when I do use regular chekouts and am behind someone 65 or older....I see that those customers typically take the cashier saying 'have a nice day' as an invitation to a much longer converstation.

Oh it's just about every cashier down here.  Most are able to get the message that zero eye contact = shut the F up, but there are a few who don't.  There's this one kid at one of the grocery stores down here who I will actively avoid.  His line can have only one person and I'll still go over to the 5 people with overloaded shopping carts line instead.  And why does that line have so many more people already?  They're avoiding him too.

4 hours ago, Weave said:

2. We are paying the retailer for our labor.

Stop it.  We both know that they'll drop prices for us in return if we use the self-checkout. /s

(Seriously, I can just imagine the 1% labor fee for manual checkout that will hit retail bills in 5 years.)

Edited by Eleven

I appreciate @Weave’s sentiment greatly.

We need to look out for our workers but we are in a serious demographic drought. We need more people to work.

One of the many hats that I wear is Organizer/Recruiter and it is hard to find people.

Our industry is exploding, we pay $62/hour and I struggle to find people willing.

It’s hard and the jobs require OT and no one wants to put in the investment.

Multiply that wage out over a 70 hour week, then add in OT and DT. 
Thousands/week and I struggle to fill jobs.

How ***** sad is that?

I leave a link about our Demographic Drought. It’s a pdf so you can print and share if you’d like.

https://www.economicmodeling.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Demographic-Drought-Bridging-the-Gap.pdf

12 minutes ago, Ogre said:

We need to look out for our workers but we are in a serious demographic drought. We need more people to work.

One of the many hats that I wear is Organizer/Recruiter and it is hard to find people.

Our industry is exploding, we pay $62/hour and I struggle to find people willing.

How ***** sad is that?

I leave a link about our Demographic Drought. It’s a pdf so you can print and share if you’d like.

https://www.economicmodeling.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Demographic-Drought-Bridging-the-Gap.pdf

I can’t believe this either. My trade pays similar money and requires on call and unplanned overtime for storms and trouble. That is a deal breaker for many people, they just want to work 40 hours. Double time means nothing yet they have huge mortgages to pay. They would rather have time off than money. I realize there needs to be balance in life, I worked way too much, hoping to provide a better life for my family. The purpose of the job is to provide an almost essential service to people, electricity. A lot of people I see working crazy hours are retirees, earning extra money but taking pride in keeping the lights on. There are many companies specializing in power restoration, staffed by retirees.

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I can’t believe this either. My trade pays similar money and requires on call and unplanned overtime for storms and trouble. That is a deal breaker for many people, they just want to work 40 hours. Double time means nothing yet they have huge mortgages to pay. They would rather have time off than money. I realize there needs to be balance in life, I worked way too much, hoping to provide a better life for my family. The purpose of the job is to provide an almost essential service to people, electricity. A lot of people I see working crazy hours are retirees, earning extra money but taking pride in keeping the lights on. There are many companies specializing in power restoration, staffed by retirees.

I could literally set you up for life and people just walk away.

I use this example in my recruiting:

Start work at 20 years old, work 35 years and retire at 55 with $4,270/month for life. Plus the $500k in your annuity and enough medical supp to pay for health care until federal retirement age. Plus the personal savings from all of the OT and DT.

They toss my flyer in the trash.

GD fools.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I’m 30 and the highlight of many of my days is talking to the cashier at Publix. Sorry. 

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

I could literally set you up for life and people just walk away.

I use this example in my recruiting:

Start work at 20 years old, work 35 years and retire at 55 with $4,270/month for life. Plus the $500k in your annuity and enough medical supp to pay for health care until federal retirement age. Plus the personal savings from all of the OT and DT.

They toss my flyer in the trash.

GD fools.

Dude, I can't keep people in a 55-65k/year job where they work 40 hour weeks AT MOST! That's right kids, we have an Early Out list. You can leave early almost every day as business demands slow down. 

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

How ***** sad is that?

If only there were a massive group of people trying to to get into the country that were more than happy to work at whatever job was available.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:55 PM, French Collection said:

I'm torn, I try and work as little as I can with also being fiscally responsible. The difference I think I see is that, while I am at work, my ethic is much much better than some of the younger grads so I feel better about putting less days in. 

There has been this huge shift in the country (world maybe) I've never seen short staffing in every single field like I see now. 

Why must drivers speed up when I pass them on the left and I am on cruise control???? Ugh, get a freaking clue. Yay, make me go 80, get over to the right again, just to see you pass me 30 seconds later. I mean, how are there so many people that do this. And really, people still tailgate when they KNOW a car is in front of you?? My 2 biggest pet peeves by a mile.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Why must drivers speed up when I pass them on the left and I am on cruise control???? Ugh, get a freaking clue. Yay, make me go 80, get over to the right again, just to see you pass me 30 seconds later. I mean, how are there so many people that do this. And really, people still tailgate when they KNOW a car is in front of you?? My 2 biggest pet peeves by a mile.

I think I would make a career as a State trooper by only writing tickets to people that stay in the left lane when the right lane is wide open. Idk if people are clueless, or if they think that they are the authority on speed and do it intentionally. I don't see this issue driving around parts of Europe, Northern Canada and etc, so I think it's semi attitude based. Just let me set my cruise and I will gladly get to the right when I have space. 

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Home depot also has the parking spot and the discount. 

One of the grocery stores out here has the "parents with small children" parking spot.  It made me wonder when I saw it, I have a small child but he's not wasn't with me.  Can I still park there?

I mean, of course I can park there.  There is no law about those spots like there is with the handicap spots, but I'm not going to be a richard and use them anyway.

I think I bring this one up pretty often, but it keeps getting worse and worse.  

Gambling promotion and talk on sports radio. I get it. it is going to be there. People like talking about gambling and fantasy and SOME people (no idea who) like hearing about other peoples wins and losses on their personal bets and fantasy.  Its here, but can we PLEASE cut down on it a bit?

I had to run to the office this morning so I was in the car for maybe 30 minutes total:  here is the sequence:

-about 9:40-9:45am turned on WGR. They were talking about making a bet of what celebtrity will be shown on Thursday night football.

-Stuck with it for a few minutes, but they kept on going about this

-turned to 590 out of Toronto (I'm in Niagara county so I get it clearly). They USUALLY stick to sports, but not now. Talked about prop bets on football.

-Back to WGR about 9:45-9:50, still talking about placing a bet on Randy Quaid.  Back to 590, still on the prop bets.

-Go to Satelite radio, first thing I hear there is a commercial for fan duel or some other betting site.  Turn the radio off in disgust, go into the office.

-Come back to the car right about 10:00-10:02, turn on WGR, figure with Sal on a new show they would start with talking about the Sabres game.  Not really, first 10 minute of the show were dominated by Sal talking about a bet he made on the Sabres game.  Not how good the team played, not Tage's play, Dahlin's ice time....but about how he placed a bet on the game because he thought they could come back. I think I stuck with it until 10:11 or 10:12 and when they were still talk about gambilng, I turned off the radio totally for the rest of my ride home.

This is getting out of hand.  There are periods of time you can listen to sports radio and have zero chance of getting way from gambling talk WHILE gambling talk totally dominates talk of the games.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

100% agree.  There is another variation of it too:

-You have the cruise control on, you are gaining on someone in front of you.  Your cruise setting is about 5mph faster than what they are doing.  You approach them, change lanes, but as you are passing them, they speed up.  You have to speed up more and more as they do so, finally going 10 or more MPH faster than your original speed to compete the pass.  You clear them and pull back to the right lane. After ALL that, they seem to go back to their original speed and you start to pull away from then again as they fade into the distance behind you.

I think 50% of the time it is just people being total jerks.  But part of me wonders if the other 50% of the time, there is something in a driver's head that when they see someone pass them, it is an instinct, not a thought but just a reaction that makes them speed up?

Not sure, all I know is it is annoying and can be dangerous in certian situations.

48 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think I would make a career as a State trooper by only writing tickets to people that stay in the left lane when the right lane is wide open. Idk if people are clueless, or if they think that they are the authority on speed and do it intentionally. I don't see this issue driving around parts of Europe, Northern Canada and etc, so I think it's semi attitude based. Just let me set my cruise and I will gladly get to the right when I have space. 

When I come up behind a 'left lane clogger' I will give them ample time to move over. Then I'll pass them on the right. But what amazes me is that after three or four more drivers do the same, shouldn't the pokey driver be thinking 'maybe I should get out of the left lane?'. Completely unaware of their surroundings. 

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

There is a special place in hell for these morons.