Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Just now, Weave said:

We’ve only started working on basic commands a couple of days ago.  And she’s still not entirely comfortable with her surroundings.  I was genuinely afraid  she was gone.  She did on 2 occasions stop and let me approach.  She’s learning to trust us, but it’s still not her first impulse.   I’m glad she ultimately trusted me enough to let me leash her.  Its only been about 10 days.

I’m still stressed out over an hour later.

I hear ya. One time, chasing a Spaniel around the neighborhood she took of into the road. Luckily the driver stopped. The dog too. Freaked her out (and me)

I was riding my bike through the neighborhood and saw a loose dog.  I slowed because I don't like getting chased by dogs and some of them are pretty fast.  I noticed a car was moving slowly; I looked over and she lowered her window.  "Your dog?"  "Yeah"  So I tried to use my bike to herd the dog over to her car and told her to ask the dog "Wanna go for a ride?" and as soon as she did and opened the car door, the dog jumped in.  Dogs love rides.  (Mabel will too at some point I'm sure.)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Well this does nothing to ease my panic 😅

Don't worry dude, I've got two guys with acetylene torches working on my boiler right now. It only gets worse! 😛

I still don't want to rent anymore.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

We’ve only started working on basic commands a couple of days ago.  And she’s still not entirely comfortable with her surroundings.  I was genuinely afraid  she was gone.  She did on 2 occasions stop and let me approach.  She’s learning to trust us, but it’s still not her first impulse.   I’m glad she ultimately trusted me enough to let me leash her.  Its only been about 10 days.

I’m still stressed out over an hour later.

Did she slip the collar? My boys are both genuine escape artists. They will do anything they can to go live free in the woods and eat woodland animals. They bolt at open doors and they back out of secure harnesses. I even caught them trying to climb the chain link fence once. It was incredibly stressful when they were younger. Now I've at least got a harness that works and I've completely escape proofed my backyard. Doors are still an issue.

Maybe it's me...

Edited by ubkev

5 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Did she slip the collar? My boys are both genuine escape artists. They will do anything they can to go live free in the woods and eat woodland animals. They bolt at open doors and they back out of secure harnesses. I even caught them trying to climb the chain link fence once. It was incredibly stressful when they were younger. Now I've at least got a harness that works and I've completely escape proofed my backyard. Doors are still an issue.

Maybe it's me...

The latch on the leash came loose.  I’d like to blame it on a 15yr old leash that we used for our previous dog.  The spring for the latch doesn’t have much strength at all.  But it is equally likely that I didn’t get it fully latched around the ring on her harness.  She shook off the snow and the leash was off!

She did escape her harness a couple of days ago in the back yard, but I tightened her harness and it seems pretty secure now.

Maybe she is an escape artist.  Maybe thats how she ended up in a pound in rural Kentucky.  

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ve stumbled across several WNY businesses with no website of any kind. Mind boggling in a time when even a high school kid can put together a basic site.  

How do they expect to survive?

A lot of people in WNY don't need no internet, da yellow pages is right dere yaknow.

Also, had someone give me a 7-digit phone number here in Ithaca yesterday; I forgot people did that. I've lived in areas that have multiple overlay area codes for a long time.

Related Complaint: back when I used to ride around a lot (especially pre-smartphone), I'd be on a trip and see an advertisement for something useful with a 7-digit phone number. No idea what area code I was in, so couldn't even call if I wanted.

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

A lot of people in WNY don't need no internet, da yellow pages is right dere yaknow.

Also, had someone give me a 7-digit phone number here in Ithaca yesterday; I forgot people did that. I've lived in areas that have multiple overlay area codes for a long time.

Related Complaint: back when I used to ride around a lot (especially pre-smartphone), I'd be on a trip and see an advertisement for something useful with a 7-digit phone number. No idea what area code I was in, so couldn't even call if I wanted.

Unfortunately, the yellow pages is now the size of a menu at some of our more adventurous eating establishments.

So my wife told me that she wanted one of each at a kitchen supply store. I said that it would drain my bank account. She goes Don’t you remember that what’s your is mine and what’s mine is mine? Then I said (jokingly) So I guess that haggis you’re getting me for Christmas is yours too?

Yeah, she’s got me wrapped around her finger.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The latch on the leash came loose.  I’d like to blame it on a 15yr old leash that we used for our previous dog.  The spring for the latch doesn’t have much strength at all.  But it is equally likely that I didn’t get it fully latched around the ring on her harness.  She shook off the snow and the leash was off!

She did escape her harness a couple of days ago in the back yard, but I tightened her harness and it seems pretty secure now.

Maybe she is an escape artist.  Maybe thats how she ended up in a pound in rural Kentucky.  

I use this leash because it's got a locking carabiner and can't accidentally be unclipped by you well-intentioned neighbor with shaky hands.

https://ruffwear.com/products/knot-a-leash

And this harness

https://ruffwear.com/products/web-master-harness

The handle on the harness is great for hucking the dogs up into the truck when they are too stubborn to jump.

And I'm aware this stuff is a fortune. My dogs make me poor. But the products do last forever. Mine are all just about 10 years old and going strong.

• Like (+1) 1

I am tired. This is a good way for me to lose the Holiday fat I put on though.

Walked the dog on our trail which is about 1.5 km or almost a mile. The trail had about 4 inches of snow which makes it a tough walk. When I got home I fired up the snow blower and cleared the trail. Along the trail is our skating pond so I cleared that too.

The driveway needed clearing as well but I have a tractor for that, not much exertion required.

Cleared the deck and walkways by hand, split some kindling and brought in a few armloads of firewood.

Went grocery shopping. Vacuumed the house. Did the dishes.

Did another loop on the trail with the dog for her afternoon walk.

8 km or 5 miles later I am finally sitting down.

Waiting to make dinner when my wife comes home. She will ask if I did anything today or just sat on my a…

Retirement is easy!

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I am tired. This is a good way for me to lose the Holiday fat I put on though.

Walked the dog on our trail which is about 1.5 km or almost a mile. The trail had about 4 inches of snow which makes it a tough walk. When I got home I fired up the snow blower and cleared the trail. Along the trail is our skating pond so I cleared that too.

The driveway needed clearing as well but I have a tractor for that, not much exertion required.

Cleared the deck and walkways by hand, split some kindling and brought in a few armloads of firewood.

Went grocery shopping. Vacuumed the house. Did the dishes.

Did another loop on the trail with the dog for her afternoon walk.

8 km or 5 miles later I am finally sitting down.

Waiting to make dinner when my wife comes home. She will ask if I did anything today or just sat on my a…

Retirement is easy!

My complaint is that this should be in the Things that are Awesome thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Body collar?

Automated call menus that make it next to impossible to get to a live rep suck!😡

On a related note, many businesses that offer chat functionality on their website, also make you fight with a bot before getting to a “live” person. 😡

To them I say… 🖕

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

How 'provincial' or territorial not only sports fandom has become (that is expected) but sports Media has.

Sure, I know media in a particular city had to tell their audience 'what they want to hear' to a certain extent, but it is annoying how they cross the line.

Almost EVERY NFL fan thinks their team is better than their record, and that with 'just one or two' plays changed they could have jumped up the standings and deserved to.  The Media used to be there to remind fans that...that is true for EVERY team.  But now it seems that in some cases, the sports media in a city is the very thing that riles up the fanbase even more.  Look at Boston Media with regard to the pats. They are in denial about the dynasty being over more than some fans, and they tend to write and post to twitter 'stats' that are cherrypicked to support a very small argument to support that role.

F1 is another good example (for race fans out there) You can have your opinion of whether how the season ended was fair or not.  You can also have your opinion on it shouldn't have mattered because both drivers got 'screwed' by various calls throughout the season and the title should have been decided before that last race anyway.  Of course the British media is going to probably defend Hamilton over Verstappen (because Hamilton is British), but the way they do it is so crazy. Just about EVERY article I read about f1 from out of Great Britain or a British writer doesn't just suggest Hamilton should have won the title, a lot of them pretty much consider him the champion with only 'that bad decision' in the last race preventing it from being official...ignoring the things that happened to help him in the rest of the season. Like I said, there are points to both sides, but the homerism in many media markets is getting out of hand.