Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Dereck Roy's tv commercials with his "friends" Celino and Barnes. :sick:

Ugh!!! I hate watching that. It makes my skin crawl. I swear to God its ten times worse than veins, veins, veins!! :death:

Speaking of ambulance chasers, IIRC, why is it that half of the TV commercials in the Buffalo area come from them?

Dereck Roy's tv commercials with his "friends" Celino and Barnes. :sick:

Ugh!!! I hate watching that. It makes my skin crawl. I swear to God its ten times worse than veins, veins, veins!! :death:

I might as well use this one as an example. I hate when fans can't spell the names of their own team's players.

:lol: Best joke of the year.

You are aware that there is not one nation that has a gold standard, right? Fiat currency is utter hogwash. You can thank Woodrow Wilson for that... :thumbdown:

People are going to hate me for responding, but, well, some of them hate me anyway...

Why does gold need to be the standard? Things have value because humans say the things have value. Doesn't matter if it's gold, Honus Wagner baseball cards, four-leaf clovers, model rocketships, or bottles of "fine" wine. None of those are intrinsically valuable; they only have value because we arbitrarily decide they have value. So if it's portraits of dead presidents on linen paper, instead of a metal that has no common application besides its ability to conduct electricity, who cares?

If you feel the need to base money on something tangible, why not grains of sand, or coffee beans, or iron nuggets, or silver, platinum, carbon, or whatever other element? Why gold?

There's really nothing that special about gold, unless you're buying jewelry. Then, it's pretty. (But so are tulips, and what happened when the economy was based on those?)

People are going to hate me for responding, but, well, some of them hate me anyway...

Why does gold need to be the standard? Things have value because humans say the things have value. Doesn't matter if it's gold, Honus Wagner baseball cards, four-leaf clovers, model rocketships, or bottles of "fine" wine. None of those are intrinsically valuable; they only have value because we arbitrarily decide they have value. So if it's portraits of dead presidents on linen paper, instead of a metal that has no common application besides its ability to conduct electricity, who cares?

If you feel the need to base money on something tangible, why not grains of sand, or coffee beans, or iron nuggets, or silver, platinum, carbon, or whatever other element? Why gold?

There's really nothing that special about gold, unless you're buying jewelry. Then, it's pretty. (But so are tulips, and what happened when the economy was based on those?)

Whoa dude you just blew my mind.

Why does gold need to be the standard? Things have value because humans say the things have value. Doesn't matter if it's gold, Honus Wagner baseball cards, four-leaf clovers, model rocketships, or bottles of "fine" wine. None of those are intrinsically valuable; they only have value because we arbitrarily decide they have value. So if it's portraits of dead presidents on linen paper, instead of a metal that has no scientific application besides its ability to conduct electricity, who cares?

But the problem is that with paper money, an overabundance of it can result in hyperinflation. Ask the Germans in the 1920's. Ask the people of Zimbabwe today.

Paper money can be created in mass quantities, which is why any currency that has no backing whatsoever is considered to be a fiat currency. However, it is impossible to do that with gold or any other precious metal. It can only be mined.

I know that I'm not some booksmart "economist" like John Maynard Keynes ( :sick: ), John Kenneth Galbraith ( another :sick: ), or Paul Krugman. However, common sense should tell us that printing money in humongous mass quantities can lead to hyperinflation. Basic history has taught us that much.

Why does gold need to be the standard? Things have value because humans say the things have value. Doesn't matter if it's gold, Honus Wagner baseball cards, four-leaf clovers, model rocketships, or bottles of "fine" wine. None of those are intrinsically valuable; they only have value because we arbitrarily decide they have value. So if it's portraits of dead presidents on linen paper, instead of a metal that has no scientific application besides its ability to conduct electricity, who cares?

Do you believe the 401k is the biggest scam of the middle class of all-time? Seriously, just wondering. And after that Social Security or basically anything that comes out of my paycheck? Let me decide what to do with the money I earn!!!!

Whew....That's was a pretty good one for my Thursday rant.

I hear ya #11 :thumbsup:

But the problem is that with paper money, an overabundance of it can result in hyperinflation. Ask the Germans in the 1920's. Ask the people of Zimbabwe today.

Paper money can be created in mass quantities, which is why any currency that has no backing whatsoever is considered to be a fiat currency. However, it is impossible to do that with gold or any other precious metal. It can only be mined.

I know that I'm not some booksmart "economist" like John Maynard Keynes ( :sick: ), John Kenneth Galbraith ( another :sick: ), or Paul Krugman. However, common sense should tell us that printing money in humongous mass quantities can lead to hyperinflation. Basic history has taught us that much.

Flooding the market with currency is not a good idea. But that has nothing to do with tying money to an arbitrary metal (or other physical thingamabob). I mean, there are a finite number of fingernails on my hands. There are ten. Are they valuable? No.

(EDIT: BTW good mention on Zimbabwe. I can't imagine what those folks are going through, both economically and politically. It's the next Cuba, unless Venezuela is the next Cuba.)

Flooding the market with currency is not a good idea. But that has nothing to do with tying money to an arbitrary metal (or other physical thingamabob). I mean, there are a finite number of fingernails on my hands. There are ten. Are they valuable? No.

Then can I have them?

Then can I have them?

For twenty gold pieces and seventeen Honus Wagner cards apiece, they're yours. For the full set, though, you need to add in twelve four-leaf clovers, a can of New Coke from the 1980s, and a lock of hair from each Olsen twin.

Do you believe the 401k is the biggest scam of the middle class of all-time? Seriously, just wondering. And after that Social Security or basically anything that comes out of my paycheck? Let me decide what to do with the money I earn!!!!

Whew....That's was a pretty good one for my Thursday rant.

I hear ya #11 :thumbsup:

Social Security is going to take pretty good care of my parents, whom I love dearly, and I'm ok with paying on the front end for that, rather than on the back end. But I'm not counting on it for myself.

This is the main reason I refer to two players here only by their first names...Teppo and Max. :D

That's also why most of us just call you "Blu." We don't want to leave off the last t or put in an extra b.

A little Facebook complaint - people on your friend list who post inappropriate things on your wall, in their status updates, or other people's walls, and then it shows up in your feed.

A little Facebook complaint - people on your friend list who post inappropriate things on your wall, in their status updates, or other people's walls, and then it shows up in your feed.

I quit my membership with Facebook last week. I don't plan to ever join it again.

FTR, I have never had a myspace account either, and I don't ever plan to have one.

I quit my membership with Facebook last week. I don't plan to ever join it again.

FTR, I have never had a myspace account either, and I don't ever plan to have one.

Mind if I ask why?

No, you are absolutely right. Dollars only have value because we believe they do. And gold is the same way. Can't eat either one, can you? Indians used wagpun, and people now laugh, but why is that so much different than a, as you call them, "portraits of dead presidents on linen paper"?

That was an entirely different situation than today. The Germans were not printing money to deal with a depression, it was another situation entirely.

Deflation is the threat of the moment. If inflation hits, the Fed will crank up interest rates.

The weather can suck it. I couldn't wait for Spring and went for my first ride of the year last Saturday (before the rain). It was an ok day to get out and this weekend is looking even better.

I haven't checked this weekend's forecast, but I'm glad to read this. I can't bike the way I like to on wet roads (I'll spin out on any turn on a wet road; part of that is a skill deficit, I'll admit), but I'd just about kill for a nice, dry 55 degree day right now. Is that what we're getting?

Mind if I ask why?

Well, you mentioned it earlier, which is why I replied in kind. That was one reason.

Second, while it was nice to get reacquainted with old friends (like a pastor in Germany), I could ask practically anyone to be my friend and they wouldn't know me from Adam. Look at the number of friends that Teppo has on FB, and he probably doesn't even know 1/4 of them personally. (He is a likable guy, and I am not complaining about the number of friends he has on there. I am just using that for the sake of argument.)

Third, if I did enough digging on a friend's info tab, I could see what some of their issues were. I won't go into details, but as I was taking my friends list down to zero, I would look through every info page and see where some people stood on some things. If I didn't like what I read, they wouldn't be getting future emails from me or any notification that I was leaving. (Conversely, I noticed that there was a friend or two whom I invited who later unfriended me, and I think I can safely assume that these old friends didn't like what they read. With me being an ultraconservative of the Ron Paul variety, it doesn't surprise me in the least.)

Fourth, my wife had an account with FB for a few months. All of a sudden, out of the blue, she gets a message from someone who stalked her when she was in college back in the mid 90's. That was enough for her right there.