Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

34 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I understand that this is part of life, and part of the job process. But i feel like such a miserable, useless sack of ***** right now

I feel that. I'm trying to figure out my next step too and it's not easy. I'm not really qualified for anything that I'm applying for, and the hunt is pretty haphazard because I'm not really even sure what I'm looking for.

Definitely just crossing my fingers that something eventually comes together, or else I'm going to have to head out of the area (something I'm not particularly interested in doing). 

I should have just gone to business school and worked in finance like everyone else lol 

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

What's your field?

Software Developer 

Just now, darksabre said:

I feel that. I'm trying to figure out my next step too and it's not easy. I'm not really qualified for anything that I'm applying for, and the hunt is pretty haphazard because I'm not really even sure what I'm looking for.

Definitely just crossing my fingers that something eventually comes together, or else I'm going to have to head out of the area (something I'm not particularly interested in doing). 

I should have just gone to business school and worked in finance like everyone else lol 

Where are you looking to live/work? Rochester/Buffalo?

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Software Developer 

Where are you looking to live/work? Rochester/Buffalo?

Yeah. Events have occurred in my life that make it so that I'd like to stay in Buffalo for the time being.

If I haven't come up with anything new in a year or so I'm probably going to have to head elsewhere.

Yeah leaving WNY is not currently on the table for me, which is hurting things. And I don't know anyone and came from a school with the tiniest physics department imaginable, so networking opportunities like @shrader mentioned in the other thread are slim, though i'm going to start brainstorming something more in that direction soon. 

Like literally with a little training I could crush some of these other applicants IMO, I would be at a disadvantage early because I haven't mastered specific computer software right now like they have, but down the line I have no doubts I would be a valuable employee, and loyal to the region too. These companies that aren't calling me back, I have friends telling me that they lose workers every week to places where the sun comes out. I prooooomise I won't ever leave you if you give me a chance lol I hate it everywhere else 

I know it's possible, because several people I know from other schools who didn't go get the master's degree and have my same bachelor's degree are both working, one in Rochester (and Akron before that) and one in Olean (where he lives) so I just have to be patient

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yeah leaving WNY is not currently on the table for me, which is hurting things. And I don't know anyone and came from a school with the tiniest physics department imaginable, so networking opportunities like @shrader mentioned in the other thread are slim, though i'm going to start brainstorming something more in that direction soon. 

Like literally with a little training I could crush some of these other applicants IMO, I would be at a disadvantage early because I haven't mastered specific computer software right now like they have, but down the line I have no doubts I would be a valuable employee, and loyal to the region too. These companies that aren't calling me back, I have friends telling me that they lose workers every week to places where the sun comes out. I prooooomise I won't ever leave you if you give me a chance lol I hate it everywhere else 

I know it's possible, because several people I know from other schools who didn't go get the master's degree and have my same bachelor's degree are both working, one in Rochester (and Akron before that) and one in Olean (where he lives) so I just have to be patient

Yup. That's what kills me. I might not look the best on paper, but I know that I'm trainable and I know how to put the time in to learn anything I'd need to learn. And then I'd hang around for a while!

Companies around here are screaming for good employees to fill good paying positions, but they don't actually want to bring anyone in to grow into those positions. They want some other company to have done all the hard work for them or something.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I am sick and f'ing tired of sitting home with nothing to do.  The wife and I needed to get out last night so we jumped in the car and went for a ride with this on.

Best Irish band — and probably the most underrated band anywhere — of all time.

Patented the twin guitar harmony, amazing drummer and the incredible talents of Mr. Phil Lynott.

8 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

My oldest is turning 14 soon and his teenage self is starting to emerge re: attitude.  This is not a good time for us all to be cooped up together.

Ask him if he wants to try playing goalie... and you need to practice your shooting.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

My oldest is turning 14 soon and his teenage self is starting to emerge re: attitude.  This is not a good time for us all to be cooped up together.

Sounds like it's time for boxing lessons ?