Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

11 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

But how do you get to become a grad where they then do care about you?

I have one of these every 3rd Wednesday.  At least there is pizza.

You go to College first and not a Research University. 

Edited by LGR4GM

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't go to a university 

Agreed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started a job search recently. Don't think I've ever done anything that makes me feel as bad about myself as this 

49 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Don't think I've ever done anything that makes me feel as bad about myself as this 

Agreed.  You know you're capable good work, but nothing is as humbling as trying to convince someone else that you're the best person for the job.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

I’m about to start hour 3 waiting in line at the DMV.  

Last Tuesday I figured I'd hit up my DMV right when they open to renew my license/get a RealID and still make it to work on time. Poor optimistic me was 45 minutes late for work.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

People who fill up their car, leave it at the pump, and then go into the gas station to buy god knows what.  Even if you're just getting a fountain drink, move your damn car over to the parking spots.  Most of the time though, it winds up being some fool who is ordering something from the Subway attached to the station.

Truckers do it to other truckers almost all of the time. I have 16 1/2 years of driving experience to prove this.

Speaking of trucking, driving a big rig with an empty trailer going through high winds. Keeping it upright is no small feat.

2 hours ago, JujuFish said:

That definitely depends on the school. Every interaction I had with mine says they care a lot.

So true. In retrospect, had I been fully cognizant of my issues years ago, I would have perceived and handled things much differently - including education.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't go to a university as an undergrad. They don't care about you. 

Perfect preparation for working for a big company.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Agreed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started a job search recently. Don't think I've ever done anything that makes me feel as bad about myself as this 

Me too.  Nothing more humbling, and sometimes downright degrading, than a job search.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/12/2019 at 6:12 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I took a train to Glasgow today, went to this awesome local burger place called "Bread Meats Bread" 

However, my complaint.... I hate politics, I hate it all, but the scotts sitting next to me heard my American accent and wanted to talk about politics and Trump with me. 

They know more about my political situation than I do, hard pass..... So my complaint is about politics, and that every country I go to, someone wants to talk about them with me. Let's talk about something good please 

I have run into this type of thing several times myself.  I think non-Americans assume all Americans voted for Trump and they tend to come at the conversation from that perspective.  

It's the price we all pay, as a society, for the colossal mistake his presidency unfortunately is.

End of political commentary! 

On a positive note, at least you are/were in Glasgow, which is a great town and you get to enjoy those lovely Scottish accents all around you!  I can listen to that stuff all day long.

3 hours ago, JujuFish said:

That definitely depends on the school. Every interaction I had with mine says they care a lot.

I thought the same thing.  Some college experiences take place at giant universities with tens of thousands of students and classrooms that seat 250 people.

I was fortunate (as it turns out) to go to a small liberal arts school that never had more than about 18 or 20 people in a classroom, all my teachers had personal relationships with me and knew me by my first name, and in fact we had a policy that said if you miss more than 3 classes in a semester, you automatically fail.

Difficult to be a faceless number lost in the size of the school in that type of atmosphere.

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

I thought the same thing.  Some college experiences take place at giant universities with tens of thousands of students and classrooms that seat 250 people.

I was fortunate (as it turns out) to go to a small liberal arts school that never had more than about 18 or 20 people in a classroom, all my teachers had personal relationships with me and knew me by my first name, and in fact we had a policy that said if you miss more than 3 classes in a semester, you automatically fail.

Difficult to be a faceless number lost in the size of the school in that type of atmosphere.

That was ligers point.  He said university because he was referring to large schools.

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

That was ligers point.  He said university because he was referring to large schools.

I agree, though if you are ready to be independent, a big if, I took 2 years off to grow up and transferred to GW where I figured that part out and took advantage of the many opportunities avail at a large university.  By that time I knew what I wanted.  In retrospect, I was accepted at American, a smaller school, would have been better off there straight out of High School.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

On a positive note, at least you are/were in Glasgow, which is a great town and you get to enjoy those lovely Scottish accents all around you!  I can listen to that stuff all day long.

What's interesting is that one of my favorite preachers is a native Glaswegian. However, he's been in Cleveland, Ohio almost 4 decades now. He still has that thick Scottish accent.

Poor Little Bear went in for her annual checkup today. Getting her into the carrier is awful. The yowling ride to the office is heart wrenching. Then to see that she’s both soiled herself and vomited all over and is foaming at the mouth breaks your heart completely. I love the little beast. She’s had a terrible start to her life and I’m sure there’s all sorts of PTSD going on. She was abandoned yet chipped when we found her. She had a very large growth on her tongue and needed surgery but the registered owner didn’t want to deal with her and wanted her euthanized. We pleaded with the vet to let us pay for the surgery and keep her. Four years ago no one expected her to live long but other than a paralyzing fear of the vet, she is pretty good.....and pretty fat....and just pretty. She’s going on Prozac to deal with some anxiety issues. The vet also prescribed some sedation for her next visit....She’s like our little B.A.Baracus..Thank God we don’t have to torture her to get her the help she needs.

BF1E9641-E880-41F2-84C5-D3BF7057773D.jpeg

Edited by Ogre

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

@Ogre, you and Mrs. Ogre are good people.  Very good people.

+++++

The damn cold is giving me chapped lips.  I won't say the rest ...

Thank you. My boy Hobie Holbester was also an abused animal. He’s a little older and has some PTSD issues as well. The Prozac has helped him be at ease....so many forgotten animals out there.

5D79EBD0-7DB7-4433-8E6F-8FD93627826F.jpeg

Edited by Ogre
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I have run into this type of thing several times myself.  I think non-Americans assume all Americans voted for Trump and they tend to come at the conversation from that perspective.  

It's the price we all pay, as a society, for the colossal mistake his presidency unfortunately is.

End of political commentary! 

In Glasgow and up in the highlands, I had no clue what they were saying most of the time?? the other parts of the country I was ok, but the Scottish accent is simply wonderful! 

I am sorry in advance that this may get political.

I was removed from a Christian group on Facebook with no explanation why. I was not told if I violated any rules. Nothing.

What I think happened was that there was an OP about President Trump giving more leeway for prayer in public places. My response to what someone else said was that I do not trust him. I said that he is a master manipulator, and he's been doing this for decades.

What gets me is that when I asked the admin why I was removed, he refused to answer me. On the other hand, I come over here, get on people's nerves in the past, GET WARNED ABOUT IT, and eventually get a suspension WITH WRITTEN CAUSE. So, as far as I'm concerned, the admins and mods on TAC are more than worth their salt.

Lesson learned: avoid mentioning the president as much as possible, even in assumedly "friendly" territory.

Admin and mods: if you believe that this post is going to stir up unnecessary and heated arguments, feel free to either edit or remove. I am not here to cause trouble. I want to talk hockey like everyone else, and also sit back and learn.

The MRI results confirm what I suspected. Rotator cuff tear in the left shoulder. I’m scheduled for surgery Mar 4 with a suspected 5 month recovery. I’m bummed out. I had just gone back to work after two months down recovering from an extremely painful fistulotomy. I’ll have been down close to ten months by the time I’m recovered from this. That means five months lost in the gym too. This really ***** sucks! Too many injuries in my career. Too much pain. I have to seriously reevaluate my goals.