Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

We’ve decided tonight that it is time to put our dog down.  Making the appointment for Saturday morning.  It was almost exactly 1 year ago that we found out he had cancer.  Almost to the day.  We got to have another full year with him before it got out of hand.

Long faces in the Weave house tonight.  And probably all weekend.

• Sad 11

With the construction going on the way home from my place of employment, it is currently taking me a minimum of 1 hour to go 11 miles. Minimum

Second traffic complaint: they installed speed bumps in my neighborhood. Nothing like making people go under the speed limit to avoid destroying their alignment. 

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

How, exactly, does one get a fever in August in the Northern freaking Hemisphere?  This is ridiculous.

I had one recently. I also found it weird. It followed by a few days the resolution of a sore throat and an earache. I heard at the time that something was going around.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

We’ve decided tonight that it is time to put our dog down.  Making the appointment for Saturday morning.  It was almost exactly 1 year ago that we found out he had cancer.  Almost to the day.  We got to have another full year with him before it got out of hand.

I'll be home for Labor Day weekend. It'll be the first time since middle school that I'm not greeted by a big, lovable golden retriever when I walk in my parents' front door. He wasn't sick very long. I'm grateful to hear that you got that bonus year, but still saddened to hear this news. Hang in there!

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

With the construction going on the way home from my place of employment, it is currently taking me a minimum of 1 hour to go 11 miles. Minimum

Second traffic complaint: they installed speed bumps in my neighborhood. Nothing like making people go under the speed limit to avoid destroying their alignment. 

Ouch. I don't think I know whereabouts in Columbus you are... What's your commute? 

And yeah, speed bumps suck. They recently re-paved a road by me and totally tore out the speed bumps. I was ecstatic when there was a delay in reinstalling them. Except then they put them back in, and made them even bigger than before. But, joke's still on them. They're bigger, but much more elongated than before. So they're actually way smoother, and no one slows down. I'm waiting for them to make them worse again lol.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Saddened to read that.  Glad you got the "extra" year with him.

Realizing now, how fresh the memories of mine are from 4 months ago.  When the vet wanted to put Choco down, very glad I resisted and got 4 extra weeks with him (3/4's of which he had good days).   Really appreciative I got that; jealous (but happy for you) that you got a full extra year.

Wishing you well getting through this weekend.

9 hours ago, Weave said:

Very sorry.

i put my pup down after 11 years of joy back in December. It hurt my than I could imagine. They’re family.

hang in.

12 hours ago, Weave said:

Made the appointment for my 14 year old foxhound.....Joplin.... for 4 PM Friday...... She's run more coyotes in a year than most people see in their lives. She was the first hound I ever trained to run fox/coyotes, and she is such a special pet. She's been in retirement for the past 4 years...... Hangin' out and acting cool around the house..... and of course, barkin' at $hit.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, EichSnipe said:

I'll be home for Labor Day weekend. It'll be the first time since middle school that I'm not greeted by a big, lovable golden retriever when I walk in my parents' front door. He wasn't sick very long. I'm grateful to hear that you got that bonus year, but still saddened to hear this news. Hang in there!

Ouch. I don't think I know whereabouts in Columbus you are... What's your commute? 

And yeah, speed bumps suck. They recently re-paved a road by me and totally tore out the speed bumps. I was ecstatic when there was a delay in reinstalling them. Except then they put them back in, and made them even bigger than before. But, joke's still on them. They're bigger, but much more elongated than before. So they're actually way smoother, and no one slows down. I'm waiting for them to make them worse again lol.

I have to go 670 to 270 heading East. I've even true staying at work late, but that interchange is still backed up as late as 6:30. Bleh. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I have to go 670 to 270 heading East. I've even true staying at work late, but that interchange is still backed up as late as 6:30. Bleh. 

It's Ohio.  Every highway is backed up because if the speed limit is 65, the left lane is going at 65.1.  It's just the way that state is.  Why they had to put it in between more worthwhile places is beyond me.

2 hours ago, hsif said:

Made the appointment for my 14 year old foxhound.....Joplin.... for 4 PM Friday...... She's run more coyotes in a year than most people see in their lives. She was the first hound I ever trained to run fox/coyotes, and she is such a special pet. She's been in retirement for the past 4 years...... Hangin' out and acting cool around the house..... and of course, barkin' at $hit.

We should go find a beer together.  Misery loves company.

15 hours ago, Weave said:

2 hours ago, hsif said:

Very sorry to hear this gents.  You gave them good lives, I'm sure, and they enriched your lives quite a bit.

God bless.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I’ve kept no secrets about my petulant attitude towards subjecting my body to more abuse in the trade in which I have made a life long living. I’m eight years away from a healthy retirement but struggle to find the motivation to bring my sorry ass to the site everyday. Mentally and physically I am ready to move on so I was thrilled to hear that one of our local colleges was looking for someone to direct one of their programs. They were looking for someone with a Masters as well as experience with apprenticeship programs. I do not have a college degree but due to my many years of apprenticeship experience, I was encouraged to apply. I wrote a resume and carefully selected my references knowing the chances of this going any further were slim at best.

Last week, while I was bedridden and unable to walk or drive due to an unfortunate abscess, I received a call from the HR department over there. They wanted me to interview with the selection committee. I explained my current situation and asked if I could put the interview off until this week when my health issue was sure to be remedied. Unfortunately the selection committee was meeting and doing interviews on one day only. It seems that a very solid opportunity has passed me by. So today was back on a crappy job site. At least I know the world sees me in a bigger light than the one I appear to stand in...SOB! I could have really sank my teeth into that job too. 

Would it be a bad look to contact HR just to see how they fared finding a director for their program?

58 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Would it be a bad look to contact HR just to see how they fared finding a director for their program?

Not at all.  The worst they could do is tell you to get lost.  If they really didn't find "their guy" they could possibly decide to do more interviews.

I once found a job through a recruiter.  They gave me an offer but it became clear that it wasn't really a step up compared to current job.  The recruiter asked if I wanted her to tell them it wasn't working out.  I said, that no, I'll call them.  So I made the call and turned down the offer.  Fast forward a year, and the company I'd been with laid me off.  I contacted all the recruiters I knew, and that particular one said that the company I'd turned down had another opening.  She submitted my resume and I got the job.  The manager said that the fact that I told him directly (instead of through the recruiter) that I couldn't accept the job the previous year made a good impression on him and when he saw my resume he decided right there I'd get the job.

I guess my point is, it doesn't hurt to talk to them.  Even if they've hired someone else, that person might not work out and they might be looking again in a year or two. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

I’ve kept no secrets about my petulant attitude towards subjecting my body to more abuse in the trade in which I have made a life long living. I’m eight years away from a healthy retirement but struggle to find the motivation to bring my sorry ass to the site everyday. Mentally and physically I am ready to move on so I was thrilled to hear that one of our local colleges was looking for someone to direct one of their programs. They were looking for someone with a Masters as well as experience with apprenticeship programs. I do not have a college degree but due to my many years of apprenticeship experience, I was encouraged to apply. I wrote a resume and carefully selected my references knowing the chances of this going any further were slim at best.

Last week, while I was bedridden and unable to walk or drive due to an unfortunate abscess, I received a call from the HR department over there. They wanted me to interview with the selection committee. I explained my current situation and asked if I could put the interview off until this week when my health issue was sure to be remedied. Unfortunately the selection committee was meeting and doing interviews on one day only. It seems that a very solid opportunity has passed me by. So today was back on a crappy job site. At least I know the world sees me in a bigger light than the one I appear to stand in...SOB! I could have really sank my teeth into that job too. 

As someone without an HR background who has done a fair amount of hiring, I’d say make the call.

There remains a chance they aren’t in love with the candidates they did interview and give you a late shot.

And, as @Doohickie says it might influence them in another hiring decision.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Our dishwasher, after 17 years of heroic service, died last week. 

It is a freaking PITA doing dishes by hand.

And:  I bought the replacement yesterday, with promises of a confirming email and a call scheduling delivery today.  Still no email or call.

Mine dies a back in the spring and it wasn't yet even 4 years old.  I'd love to get 17 years out of the new one.

Our luck with dishwashers over the years.  Leaks ... replacements every 2 - 3 years on average.

Until we got the basic of basic models 10 years ago.  A few hickups along the way, but it's still ticking.  

Oh, crap ... now I've done it.

+++++

On my complaints ... where to begin?  Oh, well.  I won't bother everyone.

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have a dishwasher in my apartment. Despite this, I've done dishes by hand every single night I've been there since I moved in three Julys ago for some reason

Because it's good for your soul, that's why.  Good. For. Your. Soul.