Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, josie said:

One friend is in remission, which is good. Another friend just discovered she has late stage ovarian. I have watched more than a few friends of mine in their late 20s early 30s fight either breast or ovarian cancer. Not to mention all the other illnesses- I donate to a new Gofundme nearly weekly since everyone's insurance is crap and they're broke from student loans. As if illness isn't enough, my friends have to face the shame of begging their other non-wealthy friends and family to avoid bankruptcy. But that's another lengthy rant that tinges political and thus I will avoid it here.

It's led me down a lot of dark paths of thinking and a heavy cloud of fear. And wondering what thing we do in modern times that we'll look at in 50 years with horror akin to lead face powder in Elizabethan times and radium paint in the early 20th.

As Derrico said above, live your life, guys. To the others in here facing medical problems, my thoughts are with you.

Man you are spot on with this.  My fears too.  Very sorry to hear of what your friends/loved ones are going through.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I had to sit through a 3.5-hour meeting yesterday that should've taken 45 minutes at the most.  90% of the talking was performed by a stinking rich, entitled, ill-mannered, self-important, temperamental, yelling DB.  This is the kind of person who leaves a trail of destruction in his wake and whose relationships, personal and professional, all end in lawsuits.  Now today I need to tell his potential new partner, with whom I've worked for a number of years, that we can't work with them on this project and possibly also tell him that he should get away from this guy.

I thought statements about political figures were verboten in here.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Shouldn’t complain on the 1st day of a 10 day vacation, but I got in at midnight last night from a business trip from hell. 

Had a planes, trains, and automobiles flight down. And a rough a rough customer visit.

glad it’s over.

Picked the little guy up from daycare yesterday for the last time as he starts school in September.  Bitter sweet. I won’t miss those expenses but I’m almost officially out of the toddler / preschool parenting years.  Goes by too fast.

Later today I’ll be picking up my oldest from SK.  He will be finished kindergarten and into the real elementary years.  Won’t be long before I’m helping with math and science problems that I’ve long forgotten myself.

I guess my complaint is time moves on too quickly.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Feels like it's impossible as an adult to get 4 days completely by yourself to just reset and recharge

I use to think this.  Then had kids and wondered what the hell I did with all my time before.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

I use to think this.  Then had kids and wondered what the hell I did with all my time before.

If it was possible for me to have negative interest in something, it would be having kids ?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Feels like it's impossible as an adult to get 4 days completely by yourself to just reset and recharge

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

No kidding. Before kids, I used to do multiday (like 7-9) solo motorcycle trips. I can't even conceive of a one-day trip now.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If it was possible for me to have negative interest in something, it would be having kids ?

I love that the same people who a few years ago respected my trepidation at the prospect due to biological reasons and financial strains are now like "oh you'll never be ready, just do it or you'll regret it" and then go on about some poor lonely spinster they know who died childless and barren like an unloved featureless Siberian tundra. Like chill y'all, I know, I know, I'm wasting away to dust over here, the fruit of my womb is shriveling on the vine, withering away, my usefulness as a woman is waning, hurry hurry hurry, do something or face a lifetime of resentment and abandonment!!! 

My god, I hit the big 3-0 in a couple months and you'd think my uterus is in danger of imploding according to some folks I know. That's still.. young, guys. I as a person don't have a ***** expiration date. Having kids is never going to be an easy thing for me, as a plump shiny blushing bride at 20 or a withered old hag at 35. 

please note the sarcasm, I quite enjoy being a childless harpy for now 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@josie

I'd much rather spend time in the frozen tundra of Siberia than have little bloodsuckers ruin my way of life ???

I understand to a point, I work with a lot of women, mostly nurses, who's whole purpose in life is to pop out as many as they can (while bitching about no money and no free time). Who are badgering me every day to have them and that I'll regret it. Now that I've scheduled a pre-op appt for a vasectomy, they're laying it on extra thick.... Leave me alone lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

@josie

I'd much rather spend time in the frozen tundra of Siberia than have little bloodsuckers ruin my way of life ???

I understand to a point, I work with a lot of women, mostly nurses, who's whole purpose in life is to pop out as many as they can (while bitching about no money and no free time). Who are badgering me every day to have them and that I'll regret it. Now that I've scheduled a pre-op appt for a vasectomy, they're laying it on extra thick.... Leave me alone lol 

Yeah I mean, to each their own. It seems most of my high school class is on kid number 4 or so. They love it, it's everything to them, rewarding and wonderful (though I wish they'd stop posting oversharing photos of their kids taking their first craps on fb).

If a lot of things were different for me, I'd probably do it. My biological clock isn't ticking, but probably because I'm not in the place to let it tick. I teach kids quite a bit- I love the difference I make in some of their lives, it's very sweet, but I also just don't find myself wanting/feeling ready for that.

But for now I'm the fun crazy aunt who draws silly pictures and hangs upside down. 

Guys have a clock too but doesnt kick in til later, hit me around 36-37. Got married at 38-  my first boy arrived at 39.  To each their own, though I remember the debate.  It all goes away the first day  of your first child and returns when they start talking back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Guys have a clock too but doesnt kick in til later, hit me around 36-37. Got married at 38-  my first boy arrived at 39.  To each their own, though I remember the debate.  It all goes away the first day  of your first child and returns when they start talking back.

Yeah, my dad is 12 years older than my mom. My sister came along when he was 37 and I was when he was almost 43. They tried and lost 13 and my sister's twin in between. My sister had cancer. How and why they kept going after that is just a testament to hormones, according to my mother haha 

I gotta say, having an aging parent is tough. He's 73 this September, still working. It has really factored into my thinking as well- dark and I are only 2 years apart in age- our hypothetical kids would have mid-late 70s aged parents when they're in their 30s too on our current trajectory... and it really sucks. 

I just hate being saddled with the decision. It scares the hell out of me- A to Z. Doesn't really change the guy's body. If I'm anything like my mother and her mother and my dad's mother etc etc I'll end up with tons of complications/serious medical issues, rip parts open you never wanna rip open, and throw up for 9 months straight (Hyperemesis gravidarum) and then terrible postpartum depression. Or it'll go swimmingly and nothing will go wrong. Who knows. But yep, do it, do it now. Time's a wastin', little lady.

Tricky stuff. Definitely on my mind a lot. Went to our first baby shower last weekend. Feels like someone's putting thumbscrews on my ovaries haha 

on another note, I have super low blood pressure (70/40) and passed out/retched while teaching Tuesday night and have been foggy/blurry visioned on and off since. Life's goin' grrreat! So that's a complaint for complainin' thursday

• Like (+1) 1

My wife and I spent the day with my kid and about ten other broken kids on the Jersey Shore and their 20ish handlers (quite and ambitious trip, if you ask me.) FTR, my kid might be one of the brokenest. Just an absolutely emotionally (and physically) draining day. 

I still can’t say whether I would rather not have had the opportunity to go through it.

My biggest complaint about the whole day,... speed matchers. WTF is wrong with these people?! I have my cruise control set and have been steadily creeping up on a car in the middle lane. Once I go to pass them, all of a sudden they are going the same speed as me and now I’m the azzhole blocking the left lane?! ***** off! Set a speed and maintain it you ***** moron!

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Complaint's ain't open so my tiny kvetches go here 

Another family friend has breast cancer. I feel like I know more people with breast or ovarian than without right now ? 

tiny but frustrating: a client I've been working for at work is a real pill. Which is fine, it happens... but they cut all women out of the meetings, refuse to speak to any of us except a guy... so I told my colleague to just refer to me in calls as "Jo(e) the designer"... minute we started doing that and using male pronouns instead of calling me Josie they got a lot nicer. They're still awful to the female contact they're supposed to be working with, though.

This is far from the only client like that, too. Most of them are in their 60s who act like that... these fine gents are in their 30s/40s. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, josie said:

Complaint's ain't open so my tiny kvetches go here 

Another family friend has breast cancer. I feel like I know more people with breast or ovarian than without right now ? 

tiny but frustrating: a client I've been working for at work is a real pill. Which is fine, it happens... but they cut all women out of the meetings, refuse to speak to any of us except a guy... so I told my colleague to just refer to me in calls as "Jo(e) the designer"... minute we started doing that and using male pronouns instead of calling me Josie they got a lot nicer. They're still awful to the female contact they're supposed to be working with, though.

This is far from the only client like that, too. Most of them are in their 60s who act like that... these fine gents are in their 30s/40s. 

I'd dump the client in less than a heartbeat if I were on a position to do so.  I wouldn't need nor want business from anyone like that.  I know you can't, but if I were in charge of the company, I wouldn't let my employees be subjected to kind of BS.

Edited by LTS