Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Thanks d4rk. I just really want to avoid another hefty down-payment 

I hear ya. Unfortunately trying to avoid down payments is tough if you want to actually own the car and not get ripped off.

For future reference, if you ever want to lease again, keep in mind that you basically don't have to put anything down to lease a car. Anything you put down on a lease is basically just paying ahead. The dealer is tricking you. So when you look at leasing a car total up the monthly payments and the down payment and see if it's actually a good value. Most of the time it wont be when compared to buying a new car and owning it for 10 years, buying a used car, etc.

For instance, buying a full size truck at $40,000, when that truck is 10 years old it'll still be worth almost half the purchase price.

So you've really only paid $20,000 for that truck if you wanted to trade it in. That's like, $2,000 per year. Assuming you spent $1000/yr on maintenance for the last 7 years you owned it, you've still only paid $2700/yr over 10 years. Or $225/mo.

Meanwhile, leasing a midsize car at $280/mo starts feeling...like a ripoff.

Not that I'm saying you should buy a truck. I'm just saying that there are a lot of things to think about when deciding how you want to spend money on cars.

The tax cut. I don't mind paying my taxes. It's the price we pay to create a society. I *do* mind my taxes going up as a result of a tax cut for people with more money than they know what to do with.

Note, I'm not talking about refund, either. (2018 federal withholding + tax payment) = (2017 federal withholding + tax payment + 1.5% gross salary). Yeah, I just took a 1.5% tax hike.

Edited by MattPie

Just now, MattPie said:

The tax cut. I don't mind paying my taxes. It's the price we pay to create a society. I *do* mind my taxes going up as a result of a tax cut for people with more money than they know what to do with.

Note, I'm not talking about refund, either. (2018 federal withholding + tax payment) is 4-figures larger than (2017 federal withholding + tax payment).

i haven't done mine yet but based on my income bracket I fully expect this to be the case for me. The rest i'll save for the politics thread I guess.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

i haven't done mine yet but based on my income bracket I fully expect this to be the case for me. The rest i'll save for the politics thread I guess.

Taxes aren't done yet, but that's what's looking like. I must be in the goldilocks zone where the new standard deduction isn't as much as what I was deducting before but my marginal rate is the same. Note that I'm not doing any crazy tax gymnastics or anything, mortgage interest, child credit, some charity donations, that's it.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Taxes aren't done yet, but that's what's looking like. I must be in the goldilocks zone where the new standard deduction isn't as much as what I was deducting before but my marginal rate is the same. Note that I'm not doing any crazy tax gymnastics or anything, mortgage interest, child credit, some charity donations, that's it.

If you can spend an assload of money on medical expenses, it sure does help with that tax return.  Of course, that's if you ignore the actual money you spend there and the need for said medical expenses.

25 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

+++++

With each passing day it appears more and more that Randall has pulled a LabattBlue and retired.

Josie has not been seen in a long time and now we may have lost dark.

We need good quality veterans of the board to help mentor the kids.  Just like the Sabres.

What the what?!? Did something happen?

I miss Randall more and more as the season goes on. I hold out hope that he is just deep into his grad schooling that he doesn't have time for us.

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

What the what?!? Did something happen?

I miss Randall more and more as the season goes on. I hold out hope that he is just deep into his grad schooling that he doesn't have time for us.

Not at liberty to say much, but I will say ... yes.

You guys should be able to figure it out.

I probably missed whatever it was because I was busy just glossing over threads where people kept arguing over each other.  No more time for it.

And it really sucks if that is what causing so much angst... sigh.

Edited by LTS

1 minute ago, LTS said:

I probably missed whatever it was because I was busy just glossing over threads where people kept arguing over each other.  No more time for it.

Yeah I have avoided the two ROR threads because i'm just not interested in continuing that discussion. Going through to read them now I guess...

EDIT: I will say that part of what keeps me coming back is the relationships you form with the people here, even if they are just names behind a keyboard. We are all worse off when we lose long time posters, no matter what the reason for the departure.

Edited by Samson's Flow
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I have three keys on my mac that don't work.

Two of them are necessary for me to input my password.

Any help--even Charlie help--would be appreciated.

Signed,

Eleven on his work computer.

Edited by Eleven