Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Liger created a thread about hot nhl guys, swamp pi and I thought it was strange discussion to have on this forum, pi went the extra mile and started throwing out trans comparisons somehow, and now you're all caught up

Because apparently we're not mature enough to discuss transgender issues without it becoming "weird".

Just now, shrader said:

Have you by any chance watched the 3rd season of Daredevil?  It gives you a whole new level of appreciation for bank shots.

I have not but I need to do it because I think Netflix is going to drop that show soon.

Just now, Eleven said:

I have not but I need to do it because I think Netflix is going to drop that show soon.

I'm pretty sure it will be hosted on their service for quite a while, but yes, the show has already been canceled.  Now there's a complaint right there.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm pretty sure it will be hosted on their service for quite a while, but yes, the show has already been canceled.  Now there's a complaint right there.

Disney is taking it all to their own streaming service, along with a bunch of new Marvel content.  The already on Netflix stuff stays there, I’d imagine.  

We've had 10 inches of snow accumulation this season so far. Trouble is it all fell on one day in November and it has been melted for almost 2 full months! I hate brown winters. I need snow. It's vital to my mental well being.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

We've had 10 inches of snow accumulation this season so far. Trouble is it all fell on one day in November and it has been melted for almost 2 full months! I hate brown winters. I need snow. It's vital to my mental well being.

I need sunshine.  We're finally getting a little bit right at this moment, but this winter has been exceptionally dreary.

28 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Disney is taking it all to their own streaming service, along with a bunch of new Marvel content.  The already on Netflix stuff stays there, I’d imagine.  

I'm pretty I had read that Disney can't just bring the show over to their service as is.  They'd have to make a new show, or probably team up some of the other canceled shows.  I'd imagine a very easy work around to this would be making a new Daredevil show, but with a new name.  It's Disney, they'll find a workaround fairly quickly.

4 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

and the roads were clear this morning before I could test out the Subaru ?

Find yourself a nice Home Depot parking and scout out where the barriers are ahead of time.

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

For now. In short, Netflix "leases" content for a period of time from the content owner for a cost. When that time is coming to an end, the content owner and Netflix can negotiate how much for the next amount of time. Disney may well say been nice, and the content will disappear off Netflix when the time is up. I can't help think we've all been in a kind of renaissance where people had access to the same content (Netflix + Cable, really) for the most part. It looks like it'll be going into silos where you'll have Disney people, Netflix people, Prime people, and others. Most people aren't going to spend on a bunch of services.

24 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I have 300 miles left on my lease and it ends in May. I can't decide whether to keep it or not; I like it and considering mid-ranged fun SUVs aren't really a thing anymore, guess I'm going to just buy it. It's a 2017 Malibu btw

24 month lease? 

Something to look at is whether your buyout residual is going to be worth it. Sedans are on the way out in the marketplace thanks to crossovers and they're depreciating like crazy. You might be able to pick up a used version of the same car for less than what your residual would be.

Think about how long you plan to keep the car too, and how much cash you have on hand right now to put towards the loan. I wouldn't take out a loan longer than 36 months, so if your residual is something like $17k you'd want to put like $6-7k down to beat the depreciation in case you decide to bail out and trade it in before the loan term is up.

edit: on a personal note, I haven't been too happy with the whole loan thing. I don't like it very much. It makes me anxious. But that might just be me. I think in the future I want to buy cars cash.

Edited by darksabre

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

My stupid ankle injury still isn't healing and I want to get back to playing sports again. It's killing me saying no to my friends every time they ask if I can play.

Also - selling a used car on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace. Internet strangers suck donkey balls

"Whatever car you have, I'll give you $500." - everyone on the internet

Just now, darksabre said:

"Whatever car you have, I'll give you $500." - everyone on the internet

Exactly.

The KBB range is $3k-4.5k for "Good" quality, and I listed it at $2,900 since I wanted to move it quick and it has some cosmetic rust. The number of people that text/call and ask if I want to sell it for $1,000 and then are surprised when I say the asking price is there for a reason. If I wanted to take that little I would have went to CarMax and sold it in 45 minutes.

I've been asked if I accept payment plans, will take half now and half later, etc. Not to mention the number of people that message me "Is this available?" then I say it still is and then no contact ever again. My identity is definitely on the way to being stolen with all these SMS phishing attempts.

29 minutes ago, darksabre said:

24 month lease? 

Something to look at is whether your buyout residual is going to be worth it. Sedans are on the way out in the marketplace thanks to crossovers and they're depreciating like crazy. You might be able to pick up a used version of the same car for less than what your residual would be.

Think about how long you plan to keep the car too, and how much cash you have on hand right now to put towards the loan. I wouldn't take out a loan longer than 36 months, so if your residual is something like $17k you'd want to put like $6-7k down to beat the depreciation in case you decide to bail out and trade it in before the loan term is up.

edit: on a personal note, I haven't been too happy with the whole loan thing. I don't like it very much. It makes me anxious. But that might just be me. I think in the future I want to buy cars cash.

I'm not familiar with a lot of what you just said honestly

So I put 3k down on it, I plan on having the car for about another 5 years after this.

What's a residual? Do I have to take out a loan if I buy it? I thought I would just make monthly payments to whoever the dealership sold the car dto

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Exactly.

The KBB range is $3k-4.5k for "Good" quality, and I listed it at $2,900 since I wanted to move it quick and it has some cosmetic rust. The number of people that text/call and ask if I want to sell it for $1,000 and then are surprised when I say the asking price is there for a reason. If I wanted to take that little I would have went to CarMax and sold it in 45 minutes.

I've been asked if I accept payment plans, will take half now and half later, etc. Not to mention the number of people that message me "Is this available?" then I say it still is and then no contact ever again. My identity is definitely on the way to being stolen with all these SMS phishing attempts.

I've lucked out the last few times I had to sell a car. I sold my truck to a friend, my roadmaster to another friend, and my lesabre to someone who was friends with a neighbor.

Have you tried putting a call out on facebook to see if anyone you know wants it or knows someone who wants it? That might save you some hassle.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I'm always entertained by the schemes some come up with to buy a used vehicle.  I was trying to sell my motorcycle some years back and was still paying on the loan. Someone wanted to give me a check every month, have me turn it around and make the loan payment, keep the registration (and insurance!) in my name and then use the motorcycle until it was paid off.  I said, "Sure!  Right after I run headfirst into a brick wall".  Yeesh!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I'm not familiar with a lot of what you just said honestly

So I put 3k down on it, I plan on having the car for about another 5 years after this.

What's a residual? Do I have to take out a loan if I buy it? I thought I would just make monthly payments to whoever the dealership sold the car dto

Mmm.

So you leased the car right? And you put $3000 down on the lease. So all that really accomplished was to lower your lease payments. And your lease was probably through Chevrolet's financial department.

When you buy a car out at the end of the lease, you're buying it at the residual value, which is set on the lease paperwork when you lease the car. The residual is what you're negotiating when you lease a car because the goal, if you plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, is to have the residual be as low as possible. Usually the brand will offer you an option to finance the car through them or you can go get your own loan. Either way, you have the buy the car from the leasing company since you don't currently own it. You could always pay cash if you have the money. But if your goal is to keep making monthly payments you're going to be taking out a loan of some kind.

The trick is to see if buying the car out makes financial sense. Don't just look at the monthly payment number.

You'll also want to think about how the loan payments fit into your budget. Were the lease payments comfortable? Would you want to be making loan payments at the same number? Will you be able to budget ~$1000 per year in maintenance after the various warranties are up and you're still making loan payments.

There's a lot to think about. You should sit down with someone who can explain it better than I can.

• Thanks (+1) 1