Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My son failed his driver's license road test today.

Not a big deal, but it means I need to keep driving him to his summer job at a golf course -- which means a continuation of 5:15 AM wakeups four times per week (including Saturdays!).

12 days until he re-takes the test.

I need a nap.

Thought Brooklyn had bus service.

Should've had him take the test out in the sticks.

Good luck to both of you week from Tuesday.

Why is it that pimples that are amidst hair (beard, eyebrows, mustache,...) hurt exponentially more than when they are not? A quarter inch to the right, and no big deal,… no?,… jebus f'n chrissmas!

Nepotism at work. Or I should say... impending nepotism. And it takes a few months, and the cracks in a place (all places have them) start to show, and you can be very disappointed in what you learn. 

Client issues on my end- I've done a few projects for this guy and he was kind of a prickly client on and off, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'd get angry about his "hey I need this ASAP what do you mean you're busy with other I'm giving you a whole week/10 days" (i'm booked out MONTHS right now) style, but the work was never really hard or anything.

So we've been doing this project, and from Day One I told him "yo this isn't what I do, I also really don't have the time, find someone else" and he forced it anyways. Did the roughs, everyone's happy.... hear nothing for a month. Hits up Friday with a laundry list of things he needs ASAP, including the final of this project. I'm gone all weekend, busy all week, get a terse email that's questioning where the work is- I get it, I've been AWOL, fine. Get to it last night. LITERALLY replace the copy in the approved design. No other changes. Work late to get it done- it's a fiddly technique. Am also faced with a whole second part of the project that we'd never discussed so I have no idea what to do, so I take my best shot. 

Get up this morning to the rudest, nastiest toned email ever, essentially treating me like a bratty little girl who broke the lamp. Dissapointment that I couldn't do it right. Everything is wrong. Not "could you please redo this x way", just this is wrong, that is wrong, why'd you do this that way, what the hell. 

Best part? He's family of Carter's, so I feel even more demeaned and can't really do much about it. I'm done working for him after these projects though. I hate screaming about it. He's about to be a father (literally any day now) so I get that he's probably stressed out, but you reserve that tone for freelancers who consistently let you down and miss deadlines, IF you ever use it at all. But I think that's how he sees me- I let him down in some mysterious way, and I'm always a little late because I WORK THREE MOTHERFU*KING JOBS AND I'M CLEAR ABOUT IT AND EVEN GIVE HIM MY GODDAMN SCHEDULE SO HE KNOWS WHEN I CAN SLOT IN HIS WORK. And my tone in response to him is definitely not nice anymore, so this is all going to sh!t, and I'm going to destroy the family single handedly (I'm jesting, but that entire side of the family is drama and feuds so... guess I shouldn't be surprised). 

Sorry, I'm in a rage this morning. I don't care if no one reads or responds, I just needed to rant so I can move on and not punch my computer. 

Be nice to people. Especially if they're going to be in your life forever. 

5 minutes ago, josie said:

Nepotism at work. Or I should say... impending nepotism. And it takes a few months, and the cracks in a place (all places have them) start to show, and you can be very disappointed in what you learn. 

Client issues on my end- I've done a few projects for this guy and he was kind of a prickly client on and off, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'd get angry about his "hey I need this ASAP what do you mean you're busy with other I'm giving you a whole week/10 days" (i'm booked out MONTHS right now) style, but the work was never really hard or anything.

So we've been doing this project, and from Day One I told him "yo this isn't what I do, I also really don't have the time, find someone else" and he forced it anyways. Did the roughs, everyone's happy.... hear nothing for a month. Hits up Friday with a laundry list of things he needs ASAP, including the final of this project. I'm gone all weekend, busy all week, get a terse email that's questioning where the work is- I get it, I've been AWOL, fine. Get to it last night. LITERALLY replace the copy in the approved design. No other changes. Work late to get it done- it's a fiddly technique. Am also faced with a whole second part of the project that we'd never discussed so I have no idea what to do, so I take my best shot. 

Get up this morning to the rudest, nastiest toned email ever, essentially treating me like a bratty little girl who broke the lamp. Dissapointment that I couldn't do it right. Everything is wrong. Not "could you please redo this x way", just this is wrong, that is wrong, why'd you do this that way, what the hell. 

Best part? He's family of Carter's, so I feel even more demeaned and can't really do much about it. I'm done working for him after these projects though. I hate screaming about it. He's about to be a father (literally any day now) so I get that he's probably stressed out, but you reserve that tone for freelancers who consistently let you down and miss deadlines, IF you ever use it at all. But I think that's how he sees me- I let him down in some mysterious way, and I'm always a little late because I WORK THREE MOTHERFU*KING JOBS AND I'M CLEAR ABOUT IT AND EVEN GIVE HIM MY GODDAMN SCHEDULE SO HE KNOWS WHEN I CAN SLOT IN HIS WORK. And my tone in response to him is definitely not nice anymore, so this is all going to sh!t, and I'm going to destroy the family single handedly (I'm jesting, but that entire side of the family is drama and feuds so... guess I shouldn't be surprised). 

Sorry, I'm in a rage this morning. I don't care if no one reads or responds, I just needed to rant so I can move on and not punch my computer. 

Be nice to people. Especially if they're going to be in your life forever. 

You definitely don't have to do anymore work for him lol 

Atta girl! Vent it out @josie

My job is cake. Tons of responsibility, but I don't mind and I'm good at it. Today, I'm not doing my job. I'm doing my job and 2 others simultaneously because people didn't come to work. 3 places at once all morning long. I've got an hour and 10 minutes to go, and if the incoming boss who I'm turning the joint over to asks me why payroll isn't done(I don't have to do payroll, but I do it anyway as a favor to him and our scheduling kid, to give them a break on about an hour and a halfs worth of work a few times a week) I might lose it. ...watch, he won't ask just because I have 6 legit reasons for not even looking at it.

19 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You definitely don't have to do anymore work for him lol 

Yeah, the money sure ain't worth it- he's on my lowest rate (friends/family discount!) and he still hasn't paid up for the last couple things. To be fair he said he wanted to get this project done first, but I admit I didn't expect a month of hang time. Thank god I have a full time- that's the kind of thing that used to sink me when I was all freelance. 

-----

Oh my god. To follow up.

There was nothing wrong with my files. He didn't realize that a transparent image with white will preview as blank. Oh. My. God. All that, and it's not my fault. He thought I had some massive aneurysm and left out 2/3 a design.... and it's right there, he just never bothered to open it. ARGH ?

Edited by josie

2 hours ago, josie said:

Yeah, the money sure ain't worth it- he's on my lowest rate (friends/family discount!) and he still hasn't paid up for the last couple things. To be fair he said he wanted to get this project done first, but I admit I didn't expect a month of hang time. Thank god I have a full time- that's the kind of thing that used to sink me when I was all freelance. 

-----

Oh my god. To follow up.

There was nothing wrong with my files. He didn't realize that a transparent image with white will preview as blank. Oh. My. God. All that, and it's not my fault. He thought I had some massive aneurysm and left out 2/3 a design.... and it's right there, he just never bothered to open it. ARGH ?

So, did he walk back the chastisement or simply pretend it didn't happen?

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, did he walk back the chastisement or simply pretend it didn't happen?

He blamed his rudeness on being grumpy/early morning/no coffee. No sorry, though. That'll be as good as it gets. 

2 minutes ago, josie said:

He blamed his rudeness on being grumpy/early morning/no coffee. No sorry, though. That'll be as good as it gets. 

At least you've already decided this'll be the last project you do for him.  Life's too short for that aggravation; family or not.

There is a busy gravel pit on a road that is part of my commute.  Getting caught behind DOT dump trucks traveling under the speed limit as they are headed to/from the gravel pit is an every day occurrence.

This morning I am behind a big dump truck doing about 20mph.  Way slower than normal.  I follow for about 1/2 mile before we reach a passing zone.  I nose out to take a peek and there is no on coming traffic, so I hit the gas and swing out into the oncoming lane, fully committed to the pass now.  And then I see the reason for the ultra slow speed.  Another DOT vehicle.

Up until that point I hadn't noticed that the center lines were unusually bright and crisp that morning.

The front DOT vehicle was painting the center stripes on the road.  I just crossed freshly laid, very wet, bright DOT yellow paint.  Well, damage already done, and I'm committed anyways, I finished the pass and went on my way.

Both sides of my Grand Cherokee are streaked with bright yellow DOT paint from it getting sprayed off my wheels. 

About to Google "removing DOT paint from your car".

?

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

There is a busy gravel pit on a road that is part of my commute.  Getting caught behind DOT dump trucks traveling under the speed limit as they are headed to/from the gravel pit is an every day occurrence.

This morning I am behind a big dump truck doing about 20mph.  Way slower than normal.  I follow for about 1/2 mile before we reach a passing zone.  I nose out to take a peek and there is no on coming traffic, so I hit the gas and swing out into the oncoming lane, fully committed to the pass now.  And then I see the reason for the ultra slow speed.  Another DOT vehicle.

Up until that point I hadn't noticed that the center lines were unusually bright and crisp that morning.

The front DOT vehicle was painting the center stripes on the road.  I just crossed freshly laid, very wet, bright DOT yellow paint.  Well, damage already done, and I'm committed anyways, I finished the pass and went on my way.

Both sides of my Grand Cherokee are streaked with bright yellow DOT paint from it getting sprayed off my wheels. 

?

Just run into a deer and let the body shop replace the offending quarter panels.  Worked for the wife. ;)

Edited by Taro T

2 hours ago, Weave said:

?

Thaaaaat blows. Maybe a body shop could suggest something that would get the paint off without damaging the clear coat.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

?

I had something similar with white paint happen to me a couple years back. Clay bar and some elbow grease did the trick. Depending on the severity, that might be all you need. 

I was planning on getting my car inspected tomorrow and I think it knows it.  Yesterday the check engine light turned on and today it's down a headlight.  I've been in my house for 3 years now and over that time, I've changed more lights in the car than in the entire house.

Had some oral surgery yesterday.  The bone graft was a new experience.  I'd rather not do that again.

In my late 20's I had two front teeth broken off at the gum line in a beer league hockey game.  Resulted in 2 root canals and 2 crowns.  20 some years later and those repairs were all used up.  Apparently an abcess (sp?) formed that I never felt, had no outward symptoms.  Doc figures it might be a 2 yr old abcess.  He was quite surprised that I'd never had any symptoms.  Needless to say, the bone damage in my upper jaw was fairly significant, hence the bone graft.

I could really use an opiod right now.  and they don't seem to prescribe them anymore.

And his work isn't done.  He expects this will result in 1 or 2 more root canals in the very near future.  The damage spanned the bone above 4 teeth in total.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Girlfriend is searching for her first real "career" job.  I have no dining room table anymore.

Dining room tables are over-rated anyway. I have a Super Chexx bubble hockey table where a dining room table is supposed to be and even though I haven't played it much lately, it's still better. We usually eat in the living room anyway. The best piece of furniture is a lift top coffee table. I use that thing almost every single day.

Nausea is way worse than pain. I'll take pain every time. Even the pain that makes you puke- because there's no nausea, just a sudden feeling of "oh, urp". 

But having both at the same time... hurling quietly at work while sweating through pass-out causing pain... joy of joys. Every few weeks... for the next 20-30 years... 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Had some oral surgery yesterday.  The bone graft was a new experience.  I'd rather not do that again.

In my late 20's I had two front teeth broken off at the gum line in a beer league hockey game.  Resulted in 2 root canals and 2 crowns.  20 some years later and those repairs were all used up.  Apparently an abcess (sp?) formed that I never felt, had no outward symptoms.  Doc figures it might be a 2 yr old abcess.  He was quite surprised that I'd never had any symptoms.  Needless to say, the bone damage in my upper jaw was fairly significant, hence the bone graft.

I could really use an opiod right now.  and they don't seem to prescribe them anymore.

And his work isn't done.  He expects this will result in 1 or 2 more root canals in the very near future.  The damage spanned the bone above 4 teeth in total.

Ugh just saw this. Hope my whiny complaint doesn't come across as snarky- didn't mean it that way. Any and all pain/nausea/discomfort sucks to anyone dealing with it. 

I have a lot of leftover painkillers from my last kidney stone- I try to never use them. Not sure they expire. I can bring a few to Slayer if you feel well enough to go haha 

Pretty sure I'm offering illegal services with that 

Edited by josie

Hurt my back at work on monday, took me 20 minutes to get out of bed on tuesday.     

Told work I couldn't be there on thursday and friday because of it, load of whining.    Well yeah I know I'm hard to replace but still.

Agreed to be there on the weekend , but feel I shouldn't go and give my back more rest.   The worst part will be sitting in bad chairs and being stiff getting up.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:34 AM, Weave said:

?

Sucks for you but I had a good laugh ?

24 minutes ago, josie said:

Nausea is way worse than pain. I'll take pain every time. Even the pain that makes you puke- because there's no nausea, just a sudden feeling of "oh, urp". 

But having both at the same time... hurling quietly at work while sweating through pass-out causing pain... joy of joys. Every few weeks... for the next 20-30 years... 

Ugh just saw this. Hope my whiny complaint doesn't come across as snarky- didn't mean it that way. Any and all pain/nausea/discomfort sucks to anyone dealing with it. 

I have a lot of leftover painkillers from my last kidney stone- I try to never use them. Not sure they expire. I can bring a few to Slayer if you feel well enough to go haha 

Pretty sure I'm offering illegal services with that 

LOL thanks.  Pain is diminishing already.  But the whole left side of my face from the center of my nose down is quite swollen.  Slayer show is in jeopardy.