Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It wasn't that big of a deal, and it was a couple of days ago, but the "prep work" required for a (routine) colonoscopy is not the most fun I've ever had.

Yeh did mine a couple of years ago.  Prep sucks no two ways about.  PS dont eat Buffalo wings before hand.  No I didnt... the sauce might make a torture prep though.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It wasn't that big of a deal, and it was a couple of days ago, but the "prep work" required for a (routine) colonoscopy is not the most fun I've ever had.

Had to go through that with an oncoming cold and then I woke up during the damn thing. They zapped me with fentanyl and I spent the rest of the day post procedure a crying sobbing drug reaction mess.

What a horrible 24 hours. Glad yours is over and hope the results are positive. 

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

For all the complaining, I was surprised by how non-eventful it was.  I mean yeah, back and forth to the toilet, but it wasn't painful or anything.  Just had to go to the toilet a lot.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They just lowered the recommended age for scopes to 45 (from 50).  I'll be waiting until 50.  Maybe longer.

I procrastinated until 55 and it's a good thing I didn't wait longer:  They found 3 pre-cancerous polyps.  Moral of the story:  Don't put it off, it's not that bad (especially compared to cancer treatment).

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They just lowered the recommended age for scopes to 45 (from 50).  I'll be waiting until 50.  Maybe longer.

If I didn't force my doctor to give me one at age 30 (actually had to change drs), I probably wouldn't be here right now. Just do it. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Summer colds suck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Cool, there's a thing next to the tread title that says when it gets locked.

Oh wait, complaints... ummm, ok.  Annoying contractors who decide to park their massive trailers directly across from my driveway, about 2 feet off the curb.  I wonder what I should hit it with.

I'm fortunate in the sense that I have no reason to think I'll be let go from my current position because I work very hard and do a good job, but it's becoming more and more obvious that I'm never going to be able to advance here, so it's time to start looking seriously at other options.  Kinda bummed it's not going to work out, but at least I know where I stand. and hopefully can find something that is a better fit and more of a challenge in the next few months. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, biodork said:

I'm fortunate in the sense that I have no reason to think I'll be let go from my current position because I work very hard and do a good job, but it's becoming more and more obvious that I'm never going to be able to advance here, so it's time to start looking seriously at other options.  Kinda bummed it's not going to work out, but at least I know where I stand. and hopefully can find something that is a better fit and more of a challenge in the next few months. 

You seem to have had a string of bad luck on the job front... Is it just the nature of the beast (field) you are in?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

For all the complaining, I was surprised by how non-eventful it was.  I mean yeah, back and forth to the toilet, but it wasn't painful or anything.  Just had to go to the toilet a lot.

I procrastinated until 55 and it's a good thing I didn't wait longer:  They found 3 pre-cancerous polyps.  Moral of the story:  Don't put it off, it's not that bad (especially compared to cancer treatment).

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

If I didn't force my doctor to give me one at age 30 (actually had to change drs), I probably wouldn't be here right now. Just do it. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Summer colds suck.

All right, you guys have talked me into it.  Also, I'm glad that the colonoscopy revealed your summer cold back when you were 30, Swamp.

• Haha (+1) 3

Ugh I got one. Boss graciously brought in a frozen yogurt truck for us as a treat today. Well, I'm lactose intolerant, but didn't want to turn down the gift and be singled out... so I got the italian ice but it came with some frozen yogurt. Add in the fact I've been rocking a fever all day because hooray being female, was wearing jeans because it's always cold in the office, and that we were all standing in the parking lot in the blazing sun for 20-30 minutes and you get me turning into a fainting goat. Realized I was in trouble, went home, threw up a couple times, hooray me

It was good yogurt/ice cream/whatever though. 

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My dad was in emerg over the weekend after which the ordered a colonoscopy.

He has a tumour.

Saddened to read that.  Hope they caught it in time that his prognosis is good.

You and he will be in my prayers.

Thanks all. He is undergoing further tests leading to removal in the relatively near future.

Expect to hear a prognosis, treatment plan and hopefully a date for surgery within two or three weeks.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Thanks all. He is undergoing further tests leading to removal in the relatively near future.

Expect to hear a prognosis, treatment plan and hopefully a date for surgery within two or three weeks.

Hoping we can take that delay before having the surgery as a sign that they did catch it early enough.  On the surface, that is reassuring.  :beer:

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Hoping we can take that delay before having the surgery as a sign that they did catch it early enough.  On the surface, that is reassuring.  ?

I too am one that used to manually type the :emoji: as a shorthand, so you are going to see a lot of posts from me that turn out like this with the new upgrade.

Hope the prognosis is good Duda. ?

3 hours ago, SDS said:

You seem to have had a string of bad luck on the job front... Is it just the nature of the beast (field) you are in?

Somewhat, yeah... in the past it's been bad luck because academic research positions are typically funded by what they call "soft money" (grants, etc) that tends to fluctuate over time and be somewhat unpredictable.  The upshot of this job (other than the salary) is that it's paid for with "hard money" (direct investment by the institution), and the idea of moving to something potentially less stable again is pretty unappealing.  But, I have no desire to stay here and let them let me continue to do the job of a manager without the recognition or authority to do it properly while other people are getting by doing the bare minimum and being lauded for it.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

He has a tumour.

So sorry to hear that... echoing others in hoping they've caught it early enough to intervene.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Obamacare forces employers of so many full time employees* to offer health care.

This caused employers to convert full time positions into several part time.

A good full time job is hard to find in Buffalo now.

I know poor souls working three part time jobs to make ends meet.

OTH, Rasmus Dahlin looks like a positive impact maker 2 or 3 years from now.

* I forget how many f/t employees trigger mandatory Obamacare

30 minutes ago, biodork said:

Somewhat, yeah... in the past it's been bad luck because academic research positions are typically funded by what they call "soft money" (grants, etc) that tends to fluctuate over time and be somewhat unpredictable.  The upshot of this job (other than the salary) is that it's paid for with "hard money" (direct investment by the institution), and the idea of moving to something potentially less stable again is pretty unappealing.  But, I have no desire to stay here and let them let me continue to do the job of a manager without the recognition or authority to do it properly while other people are getting by doing the bare minimum and being lauded for it.

So sorry to hear that... echoing others in hoping they've caught it early enough to intervene.

Would having an MBA help w/ getting the title to go w/ the responsibility?  If so, a lot of on-line schools could let you get that fairly inexpensively win 2 years.

If it wouldn't, then like Emily Lutella used to say "nevermind."

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

He has a tumour.

Sorry to hear this. On the bright side, they found it.  If I could be so bold, it even looks like its a Canadian version, so with the exchange rate it's bound to be smaller and rather insignificant.

Sincerely hope all goes well.  Just had a good friend go through this.  Thankfully it was minor and caught early.  It was still a literal pain in the ass for many weeks after the surgery.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Would having an MBA help w/ getting the title to go w/ the responsibility?  If so, a lot of on-line schools could let you get that fairly inexpensively win 2 years.

If it wouldn't, then like Emily Lutella used to say "nevermind."

It's certainly worth considering... thanks!