Bye Bye Bernie

Hirly5

You meant his rights. There's no way the Sabres could get him under contract.

If that is true, 2 draft picks is the best they could do? Why is a team that went to the Eastern Conference Finals 2 of the last 3 years rebuilding? By trading young players no less. Well maybe this will free up cap space to sign a young up and comer like Teppo. :censored:

"We had no idea how the market for the no.1 pick would spiral out of control the way it did, so we traded the rights to Tavares to the Rangers for a 2nd and 3rd this year, a bag of pucks and a case of sugar packets."

Maybe Regiers plan is to offer Bernier a contract anyway giving the Canucks a couple of first rounds if they don't match :wallbash: That way the Sabres would still have Bernier and the 2nd and 3rd rounder and all it would cost is a few 1st rounders. What a great plan by Regier. :wallbash:

If that is true, 2 draft picks is the best they could do? Why is a team that went to the Eastern Conference Finals 2 of the last 3 years rebuilding? By trading young players no less. Well maybe this will free up cap space to sign a young up and comer like Teppo. :censored:

We were talking about Tavares.

I don't know how much sense that makes except for trying to not make Vancouvers GM Dave Nonis look like another Lowe.

If they make an offer for Bernier, they will still have to give up something for him if buffalo doesn't match it. So no matter what Buffalo gets something, and if it was a high offer, it probably would have been better picks then what Buffalo got, screwing Buffalo over, or the picks would have been low if they offered a lower deal that Buffalo could match, making Vancouver look bad seeing as how they could have had him for less. I guess they figured it was better to get screwed over then risk Buffalo matching the offer

Well one of Burke's key complaints about Lowe was not that he used the offer sheet, but that Lowe didn't call him ahead of time and tell him they were going to do so. Said he took it as disrespectful personally. I'm not going to get into whether he's right or wrong, but maybe this is just a case Nonis wanting to actually deal with Buffalo down the road and doesn't want to cut a potential trade partner off by making a bad move.

Again, all spec, nothing certain, just thinking this might be one angle...

Maybe thats the problem, upside isn't a guarantee, and maybe he didn't show them that he will actually reach that upside.

You mean like the upside we've been promised from Max for all these years, yet he's still on the team. This just goes to show how f-ing stupid this FO is. All of you were railing on me yesterday that they'll resign our RFAs and keep this team on track. Well, there goes one of the better ones we had on the roster. A top-16 guy who wasn't terrible for us and was probably still learning the system by the end of the season. He didn't play that many games for us. The problem is, we don't need more draft picks, we need players. We need a solid D-Man or god forbid a veteran forward who could provide some leadership. This is just another example of very poor decision making on the part of this organization. The fans should really be getting fed up at this point. I know I am.

So the Campbell trade becomes a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Anyone else want to still tell me how great the Bear is? or is going to be?

Good enough that two teams have traded for him so far.

But I'm going to reserve comment until I see how this move fits in with any future moves and I hear from Lindy and Darcy.

Well one of Burke's key complaints about Lowe was not that he used the offer sheet, but that Lowe didn't call him ahead of time and tell him they were going to do so. Said he took it as disrespectful personally. I'm not going to get into whether he's right or wrong, but maybe this is just a case Nonis wanting to actually deal with Buffalo down the road and doesn't want to cut a potential trade partner off by making a bad move.

True, I'm just kind of surprised that Vancouver would still want to deal with Buffalo after the Mika deal, although they did get Pyatt from buffalo who has worked out alright for them

Bernier is an unsigned RFA right now, so my other line of thinking is Vancouver called Darcy and said they were planning to send Bernier an offer sheet and wanted to give Darcy a chance to trade him rather than deal with deciding whether to match the offer sheet.

We would have gotten better picks if the offer was one they wouldn't have wanted to match unless they decided he's not even worth $1.5 million.

We were talking about Tavares.

Oh sorry. I thought you were talking about Bernier. You are right, there isn't a chance we'd ever lock up Tavares, considering we can't even lock up the players we have now.

Did anyone stop and think about this though, the Sabres get 2 somewhat early picks the next couple years. Darcy said he knows that they are looking for another defencemen, but he never said what year they were looking at picking up that defencemen.

I'm not that heartbroken over losing Bernier, and it really doesn't change my stance on management, he was a player that had "potential". potential isn't a guarantee, and I think he was being overhyped by everyone due to him being an early pick in the draft he came out of, but SJ already passed on him for a rental, and now Buffalo has seen more value in future picks for him.

there has to be something else in the works, otherwise we would have asked the Canucks for Bieksa. I will keep my ears open for news out this way (BC) but so far I haven't heard anything.

as for you guys saying here we come Tavares. sorry, but the Canucks have the definite inside track on that right now.

FWIW, Nonis isn't their GM anymore, Gillis is. Which makes this even more interesting...it seems like a courtesy call ahead of time would be something a veteran GM would do...but a young GM looking to make a splash? Interesting.

:huh:

Not sure what else I can say. A third-round caliber player next year will be in the NHL around 2011-12, if he makes it at all. A second-round player in two years has a little higher probability of actually making it to the NHL, but still won't be here within the next half-decade. I'm a positive guy, but my smile is fading fast.

as for you guys saying here we come Tavares. sorry, but the Canucks have the definite inside track on that right now.

At least the Canucks have two stars (Sedins), a solid defense, and a steady goaltender. I can find one of those things on the Sabres, and it isn't #2 or 3. To me, that makes the Canucks a better team.

We would have gotten better picks if the offer was one they wouldn't have wanted to match unless they decided he's not even worth $1.5 million.

Maybe, maybe not. All depends on whether this is part of something bigger down the road and helps "grease the wheels" for a future deal.

What? Was that the big trade they were talking about? No defensive help so far. I think they are trying to angle themselves for the bottom of the standings next year? I'm waiting for enlightenment from management. More LQ spin coming I'm sure.

FWIW, Nonis isn't their GM anymore, Gillis is. Which makes this even more interesting...it seems like a courtesy call ahead of time would be something a veteran GM would do...but a young GM looking to make a splash? Interesting.

:oops:

Good catch. Not sure where I got Nonis.

:oops:

Good catch. Not sure where I got Nonis.

Probably because I said Nonis, I forgot he was out and they brought in someone new this offseason. It completly slipped my mind that Toronto brought in (or tried to bring him in) Nonis to interview for their spot for a year and try to sweeten the deal for Burke's arrival next year

And if anything, Vancouver would be 3rd at best, with buffalo maybe in 2nd, and Toronto having the front row seat ready for the Tavares lottery

Did anyone stop and think about this though, the Sabres get 2 somewhat early picks the next couple years. Darcy said he knows that they are looking for another defencemen, but he never said what year they were looking at picking up that defencemen.

I'm not that heartbroken over losing Bernier, and it really doesn't change my stance on management, he was a player that had "potential". potential isn't a guarantee, and I think he was being overhyped by everyone due to him being an early pick in the draft he came out of, but SJ already passed on him for a rental, and now Buffalo has seen more value in future picks for him.

Good plan. Trade all of your potential for new draft picks who may or may not have potential. I think Buffalo should have at least waited and seen what the kid had. This strategy you are espousing makes no sense. Good teams try and preserve their young talent. We have no problem shipping them off for pennies in return. Sorry, but I am disappointed about the FO's stance on pretty much every move they've made in the past two offseasons. Plus, if they wanted to get rid of some "potential" that didn't pan out, they should have moved Max when he still had some potential value. This FO seems clueless IMO, and this is just more proof.

The only logical explanations I can come up after having a few minutes to digest this is the following:

1. Bernier is RFA and he did not want to sign with the Sabres.

2. The Sabres decided to get extra picks now that they can use for another deal sooner then later.

But now, since Bernier is a RFA, would they have been better off just letting someone sign him, not matching, and getting better compensation then they did?

I wonder how much Bernier would have gotten the Sabres if someone just signed up and the Sabres did not match? Does anyone know?

The only logical explanations I can come up after having a few minutes to digest this is the following:

1. Bernier is RFA and he did not want to sign with the Sabres.

2. The Sabres decided to get extra picks now that they can use for another deal sooner then later.

But now, since Bernier is a RFA, would they have been better off just letting someone sign him, not matching, and getting better compensation then they did?

I wonder how much Bernier would have gotten the Sabres if someone just signed up and the Sabres did not match? Does anyone know?

\$660,000 or below = None

>$660,000 - $1mil = 3rd rounder

>$1 mil - $ 2 mil = 2nd rounder

>$2 mil - $ 3 mil = 1st & 3rd rounder

>$3 mil - $ 4 mil = 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounder

>$4 mil - $ 5 mil = 2-1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounder

>$5 mil = 4-1st rounders

Archived