Bye Bye Bernie

Hirly5

This is obviously a room to clear up some cap. Bernier was probably due to make 2M this year, 2M they probably didn't want to spend on another 3rd line forward. But to just get a 2nd and 3rd rounder for a top 16 prospect two years ago? I dunno...I feel like they could've gotten more out of Bernie. I'm gonna miss him.

As for this year, though, it does kind of make sense. That's another 2 mil to spend elsewhere, and it also eliminates some of the logjam at forward. I just hope they can sign a Jason Smith with that extra money now...please.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242495&amp...=headlines_main

Bernie goes back to the west coast for 2009 3rd rounder and 2010 2nd rounder

Wow, I'm surprised the Canucks would give up so much for a guy who catches passes in the CFL for the Argo's. What are they going to do with him?

(before TSN catches the error, the pick they have of him is a black CFL player on the Argo's catching a pass) EDIT - They already fixed it

Surprised Buffalo made a deal for him, atleast 2nd rounder in 2010 and 3rd rounder 2009 will shore up the defence this year

yeah i read that on TSN and I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

makes no damn sense

Darcy, what were you thinking???

I have a sick feeling that someone else is taking Tampa Bay's place at the bottom of the EC this coming season...us!

This is obviously a room to clear up some cap. Bernier was probably due to make 2M this year, 2M they probably didn't want to spend on another 3rd line forward. But to just get a 2nd and 3rd rounder for a top 16 prospect two years ago? I dunno...I feel like they could've gotten more out of Bernie. I'm gonna miss him.

As for this year, though, it does kind of make sense. That's another 2 mil to spend elsewhere, and it also eliminates some of the logjam at forward. I just hope they can sign a Jason Smith with that extra money now...please.

Bernier is an unsigned RFA right now, so my other line of thinking is Vancouver called Darcy and said they were planning to send Bernier an offer sheet and wanted to give Darcy a chance to trade him rather than deal with deciding whether to match the offer sheet.

If they are working on something big, I don't see how trading Bernier really helps. And yet Max and Kotalik are still on team. I'll be optimistic and see what happens next.

:thumbdown:

And that's the real kicker, isn't it? Young guy like Bernier, who could grow into a role and was one of the few guys willing to bang bodies and camp out in front of the net, is moved and Max is still here. :wallbash:

And that's the real kicker, isn't it? Young guy like Bernier, who could grow into a role and was one of the few guys willing to bang bodies and camp out in front of the net, is moved and Max is still here. :wallbash:

exactly! If we replace Bernier's spot with a soft undersized player I'll flip out.

It obvious the Sabres are too physical and have way too much grit and toughness.

It doesn't make any sense. We need new blood, not trade the new blood for draft picks. I don't get it, but again let's wait and see if this leads to something else.

I am angry beyond belief now. This is the boiling point for me with this management. You keep Afinogenov and Kotalik, but trade a promising youngster who's one of the only big guys we have? I know he's an RFA and didn't play that well down the stretch, but he's got upside. I don't effin get it. And they better not say "we needed his money to sign Paille". Is it possible that Darcy was already drinkin this weekend when he made this trade?

You meant his rights. There's no way the Sabres could get under contract.

"We had no idea how the market for the no.1 pick would spiral out of control the way it did, so we traded the rights to Tavares to the Rangers for a 2nd and 3rd this year, a bag of pucks and a case of sugar packets."

Bernier is an unsigned RFA right now, so my other line of thinking is Vancouver called Darcy and said they were planning to send Bernier an offer sheet and wanted to give Darcy a chance to trade him rather than deal with deciding whether to match the offer sheet.

I don't know how much sense that makes except for trying to not make Vancouvers GM Dave Nonis look like another Lowe.

If they make an offer for Bernier, they will still have to give up something for him if buffalo doesn't match it. So no matter what Buffalo gets something, and if it was a high offer, it probably would have been better picks then what Buffalo got, screwing Buffalo over, or the picks would have been low if they offered a lower deal that Buffalo could match, making Vancouver look bad seeing as how they could have had him for less. I guess they figured it was better to get screwed over then risk Buffalo matching the offer

This probably means that Darcy can't find any takers for Max so he had to trade someone else. I'm surprised he didn't get Pyatt back in the trade.

I don't like the move at all. I think Bernier is going to become a solid player. I guess he is too big for this team.

I am angry beyond belief now. This is the boiling point for me with this management. You keep Afinogenov and Kotalik, but trade a promising youngster who's one of the only big guys we have? I know he's an RFA and didn't play that well down the stretch, but he's got upside. I don't effin get it. And they better not say "we needed his money to sign Paille". Is it possible that Darcy was already drinkin this weekend when he made this trade?

Maybe thats the problem, upside isn't a guarantee, and maybe he didn't show them that he will actually reach that upside.

Archived