Sabres really dont need much

Guest cjpearl2

Guest cjpearl2

I know everyone is bithcing about the lack of Sabre signings, but Darcy put the Sabres in one of the best pre-lock out positions of any team.

Remember, we have some very good players coming back this year, including Drury, Briere and Hecht as well as younger players like Roy and Vanek.

We may need to sign a blueliner (hopfully Miller), but there is no rush to act and spend money.

Does anyone remember how well the Sabres played the second half of the 2003-2004 season??

Guest Guy Lafleur

OK let's assume the Sabres were in a strong position prior to the lockout. It is only a strong position because your money was not all locked up and you didn't have to buy out any huge contracts. It was only strong because it gives the team a chance to spend some money on new players. However, doing nothing reverts the position from strength to weakness as other teams get stronger. Sure the Sabres saved money, but have they improved?

They let go their top goal scorer (Satan) and their top defenseman (Zhitnik). They saved about 6-7 million right there. Everybody says how well they finished the previous season, but what did they accomplish? They didn't even make the friggin playoffs in a league that lets just about everyone in the playoffs!

Are the Sabres content to keep a low payroll and hope to be competitive and squeak into the playoffs? Sounds like it to me. Or are they willing to contend for the Stanley Cup? Their actions say NO WAY.

Maybe they can get James Patrick (42 years old) to play for cheap.

What do you think pissed off Hasek and Peca when they were here? The Sabres were too cheap to take the extra step and they got tired of it. At a certain point if you aren't serious about going for a Championship then free agents who want to win will go elsewhere and so will the fans!

I know everyone is bithcing about the lack of Sabre signings, but Darcy put the Sabres in one of the best pre-lock out positions of any team.

Remember, we have some very good players coming back this year, including Drury, Briere and Hecht as well as younger players like Roy and Vanek.

We may need to sign a blueliner (hopfully Miller), but there is no rush to act and spend money.

Does anyone remember how well the Sabres played the second half of the 2003-2004 season??

I agree with you for the most part.

The Sabres do have players on the rise, if Hecht can just stay on the ice, with the new rules, he can be a 60+ pt guy.

But do remember the excellent 2nd hlaf of 03-04 did include Satan and Zhitnik, and the Sabres need to at least get a solid vet winger in her to somewhat compensate for Satan's production

Archived