"Fatso didn't shake my hand"

Goodfella25

What happened to the Devils? I thought they use to be pretty tough; Cam Jansenn, Jaime Langebrunner, John Madden?....they've turned into Zubrus, Parise, & Giontas, wrong direction in that division if i was a Devils fan.

My personal theory is that the Rangers match up well with the trapping teams and have

more trouble with the forechecking teams. I think to beat the Rangers make Roszival, Tutin,

and Girargi play 200 ft. of hockey and throw the bodies on them.

Nobody knows that trap better than Gomez. Who picked them apart.

My personal theory is that the Rangers match up well with the trapping teams and have

more trouble with the forechecking teams. I think to beat the Rangers make Roszival, Tutin,

and Girargi play 200 ft. of hockey and throw the bodies on them.

Nobody knows that trap better than Gomez. Who picked them apart.

Good points. but if you were to cast a stone, it always starts at Lamoriello, cant say Sutter has much of a leash; Broduer has a stronger management opinion in the organization I think.

Tom Renney is not a bad coach IMO.

What happened to the Devils? I thought they use to be pretty tough; Cam Jansenn, Jaime Langebrunner, John Madden?....they've turned into Zubrus, Parise, & Giontas, wrong direction in that division if i was a Devils fan.

To answer your question, in my opinion it started and ended with Scott Stevens. When he retired, this team became soft. They're still competitive, but man they are soft. And when they lost Niedermeyer, they lost any decent offensive presence from their blue line as well. If Stevens is playing, Avery would get destroyed by some open ice hit that would be borderline legal. And, if Stevens plays, the defense does not crumble in front of Brodeur either. This team is a different team, and not as good without Scott Stevens in my opinion.

To answer your question, in my opinion it started and ended with Scott Stevens. When he retired, this team became soft. They're still competitive, but man they are soft. And when they lost Niedermeyer, they lost any decent offensive presence from their blue line as well. If Stevens is playing, Avery would get destroyed by some open ice hit that would be borderline legal. And, if Stevens plays, the defense does not crumble in front of Brodeur either. This team is a different team, and not as good without Scott Stevens in my opinion.

Scott Stevens was the shiznitt. I followed him since he came into the league with Washington. I remember when he entered the league he was one of the strongest players around and he was a hell of a tough fighter. He slowly made the change from being the team goon, to one of the best physical defensemen to ever play. Like you said, the Devils did get soft and lost alot of their swagger once he and Daneyko left.

And for the record, Avery is a POS, but I'd still shake his hand. It's what MEN do.

Men don't flail their arms around like a little girl. I think the idea with the handshake it that you respect the guys you battled against. If you truthfully do not respect somebody (on how they play the game), then you shouldn't shake his hand. I would never shake hands with someone like Avery. Like I said in the "Avery is a POS" thread, if Scott Stevens was still on the Devils we wouldn't even be having this conversation, because Avery would be in the intensive care unit.

The funny thing is that he will probably brag about how there is a "Sean Avery rule" (OK, interpretation of a rule) now, when in fact, it was really the NHL saying that sort of behavior is embarrassing to the league.

It's not like the Rob Ray rule, where a guy with massive heart figured out a good way to get an advantage in a fight. Though, that may have been the NHL saying that Rob Ray half-naked was embarrassing to the league. :sick:

Side note: a big :thumbsup: for getting all the smilies back!

Edit: forget to comment on the original post. Brodeur not shaking Avery's hand was personal (he shook everyone else's) and, unlike the case where two players played/fought hard in a game, was in response to a personal attack (what Avery likely said.) I don't have too big of a problem with that. Certainly not like the aforementioned Chelios incident.

The funny thing is that he will probably brag about how there is a "Sean Avery rule" (OK, interpretation of a rule) now, when in fact, it was really the NHL saying that sort of behavior is embarrassing to the league.

It's not like the Rob Ray rule, where a guy with massive heart figured out a good way to get an advantage in a fight. Though, that may have been the NHL saying that Rob Ray half-naked was embarrassing to the league. :sick:

Side note: a big :thumbsup: for getting all the smilies back!

Edit: forget to comment on the original post. Brodeur not shaking Avery's hand was personal (he shook everyone else's) and, unlike the case where two players played/fought hard in a game, was in response to a personal attack (what Avery likely said.) I don't have too big of a problem with that. Certainly not like the aforementioned Chelios incident.

Exactly! With the instigator rule in place... How else does some one sanction Avery for his dispicable actions? It isn't like Brodeur didn't shake the others hands. If you don't respect him, why should he shake his hand?

Smooth things over and you agree with how he plays the game. Avery is a dirtbag, why should he expect and honor when he plays dishonorably?

Men don't flail their arms around like a little girl. I think the idea with the handshake it that you respect the guys you battled against. If you truthfully do not respect somebody (on how they play the game), then you shouldn't shake his hand. I would never shake hands with someone like Avery. Like I said in the "Avery is a POS" thread, if Scott Stevens was still on the Devils we wouldn't even be having this conversation, because Avery would be in the intensive care unit.

Nice............. :thumbsup:

Brodeur is just as bad? Nonsense.

Brodeur is a HOFer. It wasn't the waiving and screening, it was the things that Avery said he did with Brodeur's former wife and an ongoing conversation about . We are talking about a guy that thinks a family history of cancer is fair game. Just part of the game?

You'd shake that man's hand?

I can't say for certain I would.

Just once, I'd love to see Jarkko Ruutu take Sean Avery out to the woodshed.

Ok, I've said some rather uncouth things on this board and owned up to it. Having said that, there is no comparison when someone like Avery does not seem to know when to avoid going beyond the pale on camera and won't subsequently humble himself.

None of us can really make a judgment about this because we have no idea what Avery had been saying to Marty all series. I read somewhere that he was harassing him about his recent divorce. I wouldn't put it past Avery to say some sick stuff about slaughtering Marty's entire family or raping his sister just to try to get into his head. We all can't stand Avery and we don't even play with him. There's a reason he is universally hated around the league.

And I am with an above poster - repeal the instigator so we can watch Avery get the snot pounded out of him several times.

Do you think Brodeur is the only guy who had his wife insulted during some trash talk? Just shake his hand and don't look at him. Then no one will talk about it anymore. People are always douches, whether you're playing in a beer league or the NHL. Be the better man and shake the stupid hand and then you'll never have to talk about it again.

I think that for everyone that calls Avery classless, Brodeur is just as bad.

What Avery did was on the ice during a game. I am sure he has no ill will towards Brodeur, and was just fdoing what he was paid to do, be a pest and get to the other team. He did do it just because its Brodeur and he has a personal problem against him. Brodeur not willing to look at him and refusing to shake his hand is just pety and childish, making him just as classless.

He's French-Canadian, and you don't understand the mentality in this case- what Avery has done and will continue to do should be

given the precise reaction it deserves, a non handshake. It is not about sportsmanship, it runs deeper than that- it was a blatant

attempt at making Brodeur look like a fool and to embarass him and the game and that should never be tolerated in any respect.

By not shaking hands, he sent a message that did precisely what was intended- I am not a fool, you are so much of a disgusting subhuman

that shaking hands with you would be saying that everything is all right now, which it is NOT. Good for Brodeur, I say, as what Zidane

did in the World Cup- if you cross the line beyond what is acceptable, you get precisely what you deserve!

Do you think Brodeur is the only guy who had his wife insulted during some trash talk? Just shake his hand and don't look at him. Then no one will talk about it anymore. People are always douches, whether you're playing in a beer league or the NHL. Be the better man and shake the stupid hand and then you'll never have to talk about it again.

I think it is hard to argue that and at the same time claim the tradition is meaningful.

It is a great tradition.

Broduer has probably been through that line over 30 times. Why diminish something like

that with insincerity?

I think it is hard to argue that and at the same time claim the tradition is meaningful.

It is a great tradition.

Broduer has probably been through that line over 30 times. Why diminish something like

that with insincerity?

I think the tradition is meaningless. Like most stupid traditions it should be abolished. It is perpetuated by those not involved in playing the game to try to somehow sell the sport as better than other sports. I always have to act like I like people even though I don't. Everyone does.

Darcy Tucker destroys Peca's knee and then a few years later they are BFFs on the Leafs.

I think the tradition is meaningless.

No it's not.

I think in most cases there is genuine respect. For each other and the game.

Like most stupid traditions it should be abolished. It is perpetuated by those not involved in playing the game to try to somehow sell the sport as better than other sports.

There is nothing stupid about it.

I don't think anyone lining up to shake hands is thinking about any other sport.

Archived