"Fatso didn't shake my hand"

Goodfella25

I don't know. It's a nice tradition, but it almost seems a bit forced to me. It's ironic that hockey is the only sport where fighting is allowed, and it's also the only sport where there is a handshake at the end of a playoff series. Seems sort of oxymoronic, but whatever. I think people are making too big of a deal about this. Sean Avery is a POS, trash, punk. If people don't want to shake his hand, it's probably justified because he's classless and is a poor sport. I don't have a problem with what Brodeur did, myself. And, to be honest, I think it's a nice tradition, shows good sportsmanship, but overall I find it to be a bit oxymoronic and a bit overrated. I sometimes feel that it's only for the TVs and that the players don't genuinely care too much about it, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, Avery is garbage and I have no problem with what Brodeur did.

I don't know. It's a nice tradition, but it almost seems a bit forced to me. It's ironic that hockey is the only sport where fighting is allowed, and it's also the only sport where there is a handshake at the end of a playoff series. Seems sort of oxymoronic, but whatever. I think people are making too big of a deal about this. Sean Avery is a POS, trash, punk. If people don't want to shake his hand, it's probably justified because he's classless and is a poor sport. I don't have a problem with what Brodeur did, myself. And, to be honest, I think it's a nice tradition, shows good sportsmanship, but overall I find it to be a bit oxymoronic and a bit overrated. I sometimes feel that it's only for the TVs and that the players don't genuinely care too much about it, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, Avery is garbage and I have no problem with what Brodeur did.

I am confused. Do you like it or not? I know you don't like SA. That is abundantly clear.

I am confused. Do you like it or not? I know you don't like SA. That is abundantly clear.

I don't have a problem with it as a whole. I think the media and people generally make more of a big deal out of what happens in the handshake than needs to be. Personally, I don't have a problem if every player goes through the handshake nor do I have a big problem if one team boycotts and just doesn't shake the hand of the other team at all. I think more is made of it and it gets overblown, that's my opinion.

I think that for everyone that calls Avery classless, Brodeur is just as bad.

What Avery did was on the ice during a game. I am sure he has no ill will towards Brodeur, and was just fdoing what he was paid to do, be a pest and get to the other team. He did do it just because its Brodeur and he has a personal problem against him. Brodeur not willing to look at him and refusing to shake his hand is just pety and childish, making him just as classless.

What Avery did was on the ice during a game. I am sure he has no ill will towards Brodeur, and was just fdoing what he was paid to do, be a pest and get to the other team. He did do it just because its Brodeur and he has a personal problem against him. Brodeur not willing to look at him and refusing to shake his hand is just pety and childish, making him just as classless.

Then Avery did one better in the postgame interview by calling him "fatso." And crying about how Brodeur did not shake his hand. Avery is more classless because he's a jacka$$ on the ice and then he goes off the ice and calls Brodeur fatso after the series is over. He has just proven how classless he is. If he was so classy, then he could have taken the high road and not done the namecalling, but clearly he's not. Avery is pure garbage.

Then Avery did one better in the postgame interview by calling him "fatso." And crying about how Brodeur did not shake his hand. Avery is more classless because he's a jacka$$ on the ice and then he goes off the ice and calls Brodeur fatso after the series is over. He has just proven how classless he is. If he was so classy, then he could have taken the high road and not done the namecalling, but clearly he's not. Avery is pure garbage.

Agreed.

In reading some of the responses here, I must say I am very disturbed by some of the posts.

I've played organized sports most of my life and I've battled some guys hard along the way, but when it was all over and done with, when it was time for the hand shake, I always shook everyone's hand.

It shows absolutely no class to not do so.

It is a game and at the end of the day it's nothing more than just a game. But you shake hands because it's called good sportsmanship. You don't have to like the guy, you can hate him in fact. But to walk by without a glance or a shake makes you look like a sore loser, a baby, whatever you want.

As a Canadian, Martin Brodeur embarrassed himself and his country.

And for the record, Avery is a POS, but I'd still shake his hand. It's what MEN do.

I do not agree at all, Brodeur has been a class act pretty much his entire career, while Avery has been a douchebag his entire career. I give Brodeur a pass on this whole situation.

None of us can really make a judgment about this because we have no idea what Avery had been saying to Marty all series. I read somewhere that he was harassing him about his recent divorce. I wouldn't put it past Avery to say some sick stuff about slaughtering Marty's entire family or raping his sister just to try to get into his head. We all can't stand Avery and we don't even play with him. There's a reason he is universally hated around the league.

Brodeur is just as bad? Nonsense.

Brodeur is a HOFer. It wasn't the waiving and screening, it was the things that Avery said he did with Brodeur's former wife and an ongoing conversation about . We are talking about a guy that thinks a family history of cancer is fair game. Just part of the game?

You'd shake that man's hand?

I can't say for certain I would.

I don't agree with everything Avery does, and I don't agree with the comment after because he could have been the bigger man, but all he did was go down to the level set by Brodeur after making it personal and took a personal shot. I don't condone it, but I wouldn't defend Brodeur saying he was justified for what he did just because Avery is considered a "jackass" on the ice.

By not shaking his hand you are showing that you are letting this scumbag bring you down to his level. Brodeur needs to shake his hand because it's the right thing to do. He can then have a presser and explain all the nasty things Avery said and did.

We all know Avery is a douche but all Brodeur did was lower himself to Avery's level.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but...............

Avery didn't murder anyone. He played the game dirty, nasty, and the mind games just as bad. But at the end of the day, he got Brodeur to play like shite and then act like Avery in the end. I mean really, if you had to poll who would or wouldn't shake hands after a series, you'd pick Avery every time.

I don't agree with everything Avery does, and I don't agree with the comment after because he could have been the bigger man, but all he did was go down to the level set by Brodeur after making it personal and took a personal shot. I don't condone it, but I wouldn't defend Brodeur saying he was justified for what he did just because Avery is considered a "jackass" on the ice.

Brodeur has never done anything like this before, so therefore I will assume that Avery crossed several lines with things that he said and what not. Avery will be getting his at some point.

So you would shake a guys hand after he got done talking crap about your family members, ex or not? I don't think I would. Brodeur has been a great NHLer his whole career, which is more than you can say about another great HOF goalie in Roy.

Classless is Chelios skating off the ice not shaking anyone's hand after a series. Brodeur did nothing wrong by skipping one hand in a whole lineup.

Brodeur has never done anything like this before, so therefore I will assume that Avery crossed several lines with things that he said and what not. Avery will be getting his at some point.

Doubt it's gonna happen.

The days where scum would get theirs in this league, are over it would seem.

By not shaking his hand you are showing that you are letting this scumbag bring you down to his level. Brodeur needs to shake his hand because it's the right thing to do. He can then have a presser and explain all the nasty things Avery said and did.

We all know Avery is a douche but all Brodeur did was lower himself to Avery's level.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but...............

Avery didn't murder anyone. He played the game dirty, nasty, and the mind games just as bad. But at the end of the day, he got Brodeur to play like shite and then act like Avery in the end. I mean really, if you had to poll who would or wouldn't shake hands after a series, you'd pick Avery every time.

So it would be better to shake his hand and then run off and cry to the media? He's better off ignoring him all the way - ignore him on the ice, in the postgame handshake line, in the media. Act like that piece of garbage has as much effect on him as Andrew Peters. Ignore him, marginalize his "contributions" and that POS will have to rethink and possibly change his tactics.

Shaking that douchebag's hand after the stuff he allegedly said only condones his crap. It reinforces the idea that there are no lines that shouldn't be crossed while "playing the game hard" and no matter what you do, we'll forget about it afterward.

And I think you overestimate Avery's impact on Brodeur's play. The bigger impact on Brodeur's play was his defense falling apart in front of him and the cumulative effects of his regular-season workload.

So you would shake a guys hand after he got done talking crap about your family members, ex or not? I don't think I would. Brodeur has been a great NHLer his whole career, which is more than you can say about another great HOF goalie in Roy.

Classless is Chelios skating off the ice not shaking anyone's hand after a series. Brodeur did nothing wrong by skipping one hand in a whole lineup.

Bingo.

I agree. F*ck the high road in this case, I give Brodeur the benefit of the doubt. Yes "what happens on the ice, blah blah blah" is one thing, but it's obvious that Avery crossed a line out there (multiple times) and got very personal with him... and not just in this series either.

There's a difference between being the pest that every team in the NHL would love to have and being a douchebag on skates that brings shame to themselves and their team.

Sweet Jesus, I hope when Avery pulls that crap in the next series he finally gets knocked into last month for it. Way overdue.

What Brodeur should have said:

"They told me Sean Avery was saying stuff, but I couldn't hear him because I had my three Stanley Cup rings plugging up my ears."

Just like J.R., Avery doesn't have his name on the Cup... and he never will.

That's the bottom line.

What Brodeur should have said:

"They told me Sean Avery was saying stuff, but I couldn't hear him because I had my three Stanley Cup rings plugging up my ears."

Just like J.R., Avery doesn't have his name on the Cup... and he never will.

That's the bottom line.

Well said. Marty did not have come out of this with a tainted image. He could have had a couple of choice words as he shook Avery's hand, and only those two would know . The fact that he did not shake hands certainly hurts his image a little, but we all have our boiling point.

It is ridiculous to say that Marty lowered himself to Avery's level -- not even in the same league. Avery could have just taken a pass in the presser and waved it off, but he addresses the incident by referring to Marty as "fatso." How much of a childish punk can one man be?

Someone earlier posted regarding keeping it on the ice. Making stupid comments like that off the ice are idiotic. Avery sucks. I feel like putting a $100 bounty on his head, but I know someone out there would do it for nothing. Only time will tell if it happens this series.

What happened to the Devils? I thought they use to be pretty tough; Cam Jansenn, Jaime Langebrunner, John Madden?....they've turned into Zubrus, Parise, & Giontas, wrong direction in that division if i was a Devils fan.

Good question. What did happen to him? he would have gone after Avery I bet.

Archived