"Buffalo didn't want to pay us."

bottlecap

I have seen Vanek enough in person this year to know that the problem is not the television. By the way, I think Lindy is completely misusing him by "parking him in the front of the net". He has a great shot and is a creative passer and those skills are being wasted by having him be "tip man".

I know you make the games. when i got there he was taking a serious beating in front.

I would like to see him release higher more - which means somebody has to be crashing net. In the last two months the "tip man" production has been pretty good in the ledger.

I have seen Vanek enough in person this year to know that the problem is not the television. By the way, I think Lindy is completely misusing him by "parking him in the front of the net". He has a great shot and is a creative passer and those skills are being wasted by having him be "tip man".

Seems like Kalinin could fill that roll. He does a pretty good job of that at the other end of the ice...

I would agree, that's like paying Dave Andreychuk 7 million a year.

Here are notes from the astute Montreal hockey writers.

Red Fischer

When you lead the league in points one year and face the dreary prospect of missing the playoffs the following season, you don't allow the opposition to outwork you. You don't allow Steve B?gin, a second-place finisher by a hair in a race for a loose puck, to place his hand on the back of Andrej Sekera's head and drive him face-first into the glass. At the very least, you try to do something about it, even though neither referee did.

You don't win games you have to win to stay alive with only 14 shots in the first 40 minutes, and only four in the second period.

Hard to argue this one. Miller had a clear view of what happened to Sekera. Even he didn't react. I really believe guys on this team don't like each other. I'll bet dollars to donuts that some unexpected departures are coming. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vanek packaged on draft day.

Maybe the Sabres should never have let ANY good player go, EVER.

They should have kept every good player and never let them leave, no matter what.

I laugh when I read who is here and who isn't. It's sports baby. It's cyclical. You can't keep everyone. We didn't make the dance in a very competitive league. It happens.

the quote from Soupy should read "Buffalo didn't want to OVERpay us"... sorry he's not worth 7 million.

before everyone chimes in with "we overpay Vanek...", it's not the same thing, we had no choice with that one... and just because you do it once, doesn't mean you should do it again

No, hes not worth 7 million...

Sharks are 16-1-1 since the trade. What a bad deal for them and oh, did we get a player in return!

No, hes not worth 7 million...

Sharks are 16-1-1 since the trade. What a bad deal for them and oh, did we get a player in return!

-The Sharks were a very good team before they acquired Campbell. It's not like they sucked without him.

-The Sabres were in 9th place with him for most of the year, his play was average at best this year and he was not going to be re-signed by the Sabres for 6+ mil a year.

-Bernier is 22 years old. Go check where Campbell was at in his career when he was 22. In addition how do you know what the Sabres will be able to parlay the SJ #1 pick into.

-The Sharks were a very good team before they acquired Campbell. It's not like they sucked without him.

-The Sabres were in 9th place with him for most of the year, his play was average at best this year and he was not going to be re-signed by the Sabres for 6+ mil a year.

-Bernier is 22 years old. Go check where Campbell was at in his career when he was 22. In addition how do you know what the Sabres will be able to parlay the SJ #1 pick into.

Logic is wasted on him.

Someone may have already brought this up, and I guess its one of those things that we'll never know, but when soupy said " Buffalo didn't want to pay us" could he have been referring to Buffalo's long time stance on contract renewals with 1 year left?

Meaning...had the team presented a contract prior to the players last year (Ex. 5 year 25Mil for Brier that has always been discussed) vs. letting the contract expire and not being able to match a 56 Mil offer from Philly. (Not sure on the 56 mil from philly cause its been so long)

Like I said.. who knows what he was referring to specifically. I guess we can all read into it.

I agree. I'm sure all the fans wouldn't have minded paying more to see the Sabres, if it meant we had a Stanley Cup caliber team together still, and that's what it took to have kept these guys in Buffalo.

Management never even gave the fans a chance. It would be one thing if tickets were sky high and we could afford to keep players. TG and LQ planned to run this team on a shoestring from the get go. In my opinion, the way TG has stayed away this year is a bad sign. I predict he sells the team within two years.

PTR

Management never even gave the fans a chance. It would be one thing if tickets were sky high and we could afford to keep players. TG and LQ planned to run this team on a shoestring from the get go. In my opinion, the way TG has stayed away this year is a bad sign. I predict he sells the team within two years.

PTR

another solid effort... Man, don't let facts get in your way of a good rant. Just keep 'em coming. Screw last year. To hell with the fact that we traded Biron to clear cap space. Nah, your version is much better. <_>

Maybe the Sabres should never have let ANY good player go, EVER.

They should have kept every good player and never let them leave, no matter what.

I laugh when I read who is here and who isn't. It's sports baby. It's cyclical. You can't keep everyone. We didn't make the dance in a very competitive league. It happens.

Youre right..It just sucks we had the shot 2 yrs ago and injuries screwed us again...93 again

Here are notes from the astute Montreal hockey writers.

Red Fischer

When you lead the league in points one year and face the dreary prospect of missing the playoffs the following season, you don't allow the opposition to outwork you. You don't allow Steve B?gin, a second-place finisher by a hair in a race for a loose puck, to place his hand on the back of Andrej Sekera's head and drive him face-first into the glass. At the very least, you try to do something about it, even though neither referee did.

You don't win games you have to win to stay alive with only 14 shots in the first 40 minutes, and only four in the second period.

Pat Hickey

The Sabres learned something from their past dealings, but not enough. They made a familiar mistake this season when they failed to sign defenceman Bryan Campbell. At least this time around, they were smart enough to get something for him, trading him to San Jose for Steve Bernier and a first-round draft choice.

"I wanted to stay in Buffalo, we all did," Campbell said after the trade that made a very good San Jose team even better. "Buffalo didn't want to overpay us."

Fixed it.

Fixed it.

At this point I would have liked them overpaying for Campbell and Drury or Briere. It also would have been nice if someone with some hockey acumen would have recognized that Max's flaws outweigh his talent and shipped him out of here prior to this season.

At this point I would have liked them overpaying for Campbell and Drury or Briere. It also would have been nice if someone with some hockey acumen would have recognized that Max's flaws outweigh his talent and shipped him out of here prior to this season.

I agree on Max. I think Max, Connolly and Kalinin will have played their last games as Sabres.

Let's not forget. The Sabres were willing to over pay Drury and they offered Campbell $6 million a year. Both players could have remained Sabres but they decided differently. Briere? I couldn't care less.

You are joking right????

It also would have been nice if someone with some hockey acumen would have recognized that Max's flaws outweigh his talent and shipped him out of here prior to this season.

As much as Max was a total bust this season and has always had mental lapses, it's hard to cut a guy who was second on the team in points per game (1.09), behind only Briere (1.17), when you are already worried about a drop in point production with the loss of Briere and Drury. In hindsight, it would have been a great move to trade him off, especially while he still had to high trade value, but at the time, it wasn't so clear.

I wouldn't have been alright with them overpaying Campbell and Drury, but if Chris had ended up taking our offer to match the Rangers' contract, I would have been OK with it. He would have filled a lot of holes that they had this season. On a lot of teams (including the Rangers, really), I don't believe that he would provide $7 million worth of value, but for the Sabres, he would have.

As much as Max was a total bust this season and has always had mental lapses, it's hard to cut a guy who was second on the team in points per game (1.09), behind only Briere (1.17), when you are already worried about a drop in point production with the loss of Briere and Drury. In hindsight, it would have been a great move to trade him off, especially while he still had to high trade value, but at the time, it wasn't so clear.

I wouldn't have been alright with them overpaying Campbell and Drury, but if Chris had ended up taking our offer to match the Rangers' contract, I would have been OK with it. He would have filled a lot of holes that they had this season. On a lot of teams (including the Rangers, really), I don't believe that he would provide $7 million worth of value, but for the Sabres, he would have.

I have heard this reference to him being over payed a couple of times, and while we all know the story I hold true for those negotiations, my question centers around him at $7 million. I'm going to assume that you think he should be around 4.5 to 5 for the sake of my argument.

If he is the difference between a playoff game or two a year, can't you justify overpaying someone like him? And if the gets you in the playoffs, (I am not saying on his own) then isn't worth even more than a couple of extra million per year?

As much as Max was a total bust this season and has always had mental lapses, it's hard to cut a guy who was second on the team in points per game...

Yes but I want a Gm that is proactive not reactive. I want a GM that sees Max for what he is but I wanted him to see it way the #%^$#! before any of us retards figured it out. I want a GM that knows if Miller really has what it takes to win a cup. I want a GM that would be ballsy enough to move Miller if he thought he wasn't going to bring a cup. I want a GM that recognizes that Pominville, Gaustad and Paille are going to be the core of this team and lock them up long term. I want a GM that recognizes Sekera and Weber should be the number 2 D pair next year. I want a GM that recognizes that this team needs a number one defenseman, and can aquire him through FA or trade. I want a GM that recognizes Tallinder is a slower, less impressive version of Campbell and this team has no need for that. I want a GM that recognizes that this team need an enforcer that can actually play hockey and while those guys are few and far between, having a guy like that is invaluable. I want a GM that recognizes Patrick Kaleta's impact on his team and their games. His presence in the lineup is a must.

Yes but I want a Gm that is proactive not reactive. I want a GM that sees Max for what he is but I wanted him to see it way the #%^$#! before any of us retards figured it out. I want a GM that knows if Miller really has what it takes to win a cup. I want a GM that would be ballsy enough to move Miller if he thought he wasn't going to bring a cup. I want a GM that recognizes that Pominville, Gaustad and Paille are going to be the core of this team and lock them up long term. I want a GM that recognizes Sekera and Weber should be the number 2 D pair next year. I want a GM that recognizes that this team needs a number one defenseman, and can aquire him through FA or trade. I want a GM that recognizes Tallinder is a slower, less impressive version of Campbell and this team has no need for that. I want a GM that recognizes that this team need an enforcer that can actually play hockey and while those guys are few and far between, having a guy like that is invaluable. I want a GM that recognizes Patrick Kaleta's impact on his team and their games. His presence in the lineup is a must.

This is why I laugh at the pat response that hindsight is 20/20. We are fans. Its is our job to gush over rookie defensemen after two games or to think Steve Bernier is a savior after one game.

It is the GM's job to see through all the emotion and make the tough calls. It was his and Larry and Tom's job to know where the market is heading. It is there job to know that Dumont was a better call over Kotalik. It was there job to know that we probably should have traded Max after that "breakout" season.

I don't expect them to be right on everything. I think they need to better more often and as Tom said, the proof is in the standings, err pudding.

Archived