"Buffalo didn't want to pay us."

bottlecap

Here are notes from the astute Montreal hockey writers.

Red Fischer

When you lead the league in points one year and face the dreary prospect of missing the playoffs the following season, you don't allow the opposition to outwork you. You don't allow Steve B?gin, a second-place finisher by a hair in a race for a loose puck, to place his hand on the back of Andrej Sekera's head and drive him face-first into the glass. At the very least, you try to do something about it, even though neither referee did.

You don't win games you have to win to stay alive with only 14 shots in the first 40 minutes, and only four in the second period.

Pat Hickey

The Sabres learned something from their past dealings, but not enough. They made a familiar mistake this season when they failed to sign defenceman Bryan Campbell. At least this time around, they were smart enough to get something for him, trading him to San Jose for Steve Bernier and a first-round draft choice.

"I wanted to stay in Buffalo, we all did," Campbell said after the trade that made a very good San Jose team even better. "Buffalo didn't want to pay us."

This describes the Buffalo Sabres organization to a T. It's going to do wonders for bringing free agents in. The Sabres are looking better and better by the day. It's a circus at HSBC and I ain't talkin Ringling Bros. Thanks TG, LQ and DR for destroying this hockey town bit by bit.

Here are notes from the astute Montreal hockey writers.

Red Fischer

When you lead the league in points one year and face the dreary prospect of missing the playoffs the following season, you don't allow the opposition to outwork you. You don't allow Steve B?gin, a second-place finisher by a hair in a race for a loose puck, to place his hand on the back of Andrej Sekera's head and drive him face-first into the glass. At the very least, you try to do something about it, even though neither referee did.

You don't win games you have to win to stay alive with only 14 shots in the first 40 minutes, and only four in the second period.

Pat Hickey

The Sabres learned something from their past dealings, but not enough. They made a familiar mistake this season when they failed to sign defenceman Bryan Campbell. At least this time around, they were smart enough to get something for him, trading him to San Jose for Steve Bernier and a first-round draft choice.

"I wanted to stay in Buffalo, we all did," Campbell said after the trade that made a very good San Jose team even better. "Buffalo didn't want to pay us."

I don't argue the facts or the premise of this article but I wish they didn't interview Campbell. I think the Sabres handled the Campbell situation like they did because they had Sekera in the system. I think in the long run Sekera will be better than Campbell. I think the real problem with the organization right now is leadership and toughness. The people they let go in the last few years all filled those roles. They need to go out now and get some role player to fill those roles.

This describes the Buffalo Sabres organization to a T. It's going to do wonders for bringing free agents in. The Sabres are looking better and better by the day. It's a circus at HSBC and I ain't talkin Ringling Bros. Thanks TG, LQ and DR for destroying this hockey town bit by bit.

I agree. I'm sure all the fans wouldn't have minded paying more to see the Sabres, if it meant we had a Stanley Cup caliber team together still, and that's what it took to have kept these guys in Buffalo.

I don't argue the facts or the premise of this article but I wish they didn't interview Campbell. I think the Sabres handled the Campbell situation like they did because they had Sekera in the system. I think in the long run Sekera will be better than Campbell. I think the real problem with the organization right now is leadership and toughness. The people they let go in the last few years all filled those roles. They need to go out now and get some role player to fill those roles.

Agreed with the caveat that one other huge piece was/is missing from this TEAM this year....

red fischer....You don't allow Steve B?gin, a second-place finisher by a hair in a race for a loose puck, to place his hand on the back of Andrej Sekera's head and drive him face-first into the glass. At the very least, you try to do something about it, even though neither referee did.

And that fact is they rarely played like a TEAM. There was another dynamic going on here, they didn't stick up for each other, They often didn't play well together, based on some comments and things not done or said I am pretty sure some of these guy's don't like each other...... Maybe Soupy was addition by subtraction maybe his departure made it it worse??

. Next year I would like to see Lindy do something like what the Pens have done last two preseasons, MT has taken the whole team down to west point for team building exercise with the cadets(boot camp)... Whatever bug has crawled up some of these guys arses, they need to settle it in preseason, agree to disagree and decide to play together as a team including sticking up for you mates on the ice whether you hang out with him or not......

the quote from Soupy should read "Buffalo didn't want to OVERpay us"... sorry he's not worth 7 million.

before everyone chimes in with "we overpay Vanek...", it's not the same thing, we had no choice with that one... and just because you do it once, doesn't mean you should do it again

Cry me a river Brian, you got what you wanted, you just didn't get the years you wanted.

And Briere is making insane money these days for 2nd line numbers. Yes, I consider his numbers to be 2nd line, when you look at what he gets paid.

Am I happy we're out of this? Hell no, but this team was in deep #%^$#! WITH Mr. Veins Veins Veins IN the lineup as well as without him. Something which seems to be lost on every hack out there calling himself a writer.

Where was "All-Star Brian" during our 11-game losing streak? Oh that's right - He scored that goal in the Winter Classic didn't he? My mistake.

Zed, this is in no way a flame on your post, it's just that comment from Campbell which got my piss going in the worst way, and the fact that it's a bad day hockey-wise.

In defense of the Sabres organization, if we were to keep Dumont, McKee, Drury, Briere, Campbell, etc... how the #%^$#! would we keep everyone else???!! The article seems journalistically irresponsible without presenting this counterargument. The fact is that we had no choice but to let some quality players go. Where we screwed up is in WHICH players we chose to keep over those we let go. I'd take Dumont, Drury, and Campbell any day over Kalinin, Numminen, Connolly, Afinogenov, Kotalik, etc...

If the Sabres were way under the salary cap, I could understand the "they didn't want to pay us" arguement. Fact of the matter is, this team has a lot of talent that is going to cost a lot of money to retain. Tough decisions have to be made. Is Soupy worth 6 million a year to a team who as to re-sign Miller and Pomminstein to hefty contracts?

Where we screwed up is in WHICH players we chose to keep over those we let go. I'd take Dumont, Drury, and Campbell any day over Kalinin, Numminen, Connolly, Afinogenov, Kotalik, etc...

Amen. Where is Stenbar when you need him?

the quote from Soupy should read "Buffalo didn't want to OVERpay us"... sorry he's not worth 7 million.

before everyone chimes in with "we overpay Vanek...", it's not the same thing, we had no choice with that one... and just because you do it once, doesn't mean you should do it again

Quoted for validity!

I think we can appreciate that in hindsight based on he last month, but I think not a chance.

You're right on with both points. Campbell might have been right that we "don't pay players" when we supposedly turned down 5 years, $25 million, but he isn't worth a penny more than that. We'd have no room to breathe for several years with two players earning $7 million. We'd be dangerously close to Tampa Bay status doing that.

Bottom line is management lacks foresight---everybody knows that by now. They don't plan ahead--and the sickening thing is that they don't seem to learn, as it actually CONTINUES to this very day. For example, I could see Paille and Gaustad getting signed to RFA offer sheets this offseason because we won't do anything to lock them up ahead of time. That's nothing compared to the losses the previous two offseasons, but still, losing either guy would be a loss that could have been averted.

You're right on with both points. Campbell might have been right that we "don't pay players" when we supposedly turned down 5 years, $25 million, but he isn't worth a penny more than that. We'd have no room to breathe for several years with two players earning $7 million. We'd be dangerously close to Tampa Bay status doing that.

He may very well be worth more to some teams.

Paired with anyone from last year in Buffalo - either player could join the rush.

San Jose just isn't built that way - he is the offensive D-man. (well you have Rivet maybe.....)

He can be like a basestealer with the permanent green light and expected to use it.

I don't think he made sense for the Sabres at that price. But his market is going to soar.

Look what Souray - (who is really a one trick pony) - got from Edmonton last year.

He'll get 7 and he'll get long term if I had to guess.

In defense of the Sabres organization, if we were to keep Dumont, McKee, Drury, Briere, Campbell, etc... how the #%^$#! would we keep everyone else???!! The article seems journalistically irresponsible without presenting this counterargument. The fact is that we had no choice but to let some quality players go. Where we screwed up is in WHICH players we chose to keep over those we let go. I'd take Dumont, Drury, and Campbell any day over Kalinin, Numminen, Connolly, Afinogenov, Kotalik, etc...

Very well said.

It is true what he said, they didn't want to pay them. The may have been willing to pay a certain amount over 3 years, but wheren't willing to pay them a certain amount over 5 years. Weither it was the right thing or not, it doesn't matter anymore cause its over. The Sabres have a reputation of not wanting to pay big money for someone (or atleast outside of the organisation and when they aren't forced to) We can rationalise it anyway we want, but its true. I don't think any of the top upcoming FA's are looking at Buffalo to make them a competitive offer. Its not how they work, weither its good or bad, its hard to say. They match catch a break once and a while and find a hidden gem, or they might get more of what they pay for. Thats the way life is going to be as a Sabres fan.

The thing with the Sabres is that they lack top tier players. We can all sayt that alot of them have potential, or that someof them are, but actually compare them to other teams, they would not be top tier players on any other team. Someone said before that Briere's stats are "2nd line" player stats, well Roy has similar stats this year, and he has been one of the better Sabres player this year. Vanek is one of the highest paid players in the league, and he isn't even the best Sabre on the ice and has been a disapointment this year after he regressed instead of progressed (or atleast stayed at the same level) when we needed it.

Guest Sloth

The Sabres have a reputation of not wanting to pay big money for someone (or atleast outside of the organisation and when they aren't forced to) We can rationalise it anyway we want, but its true. I don't think any of the top upcoming FA's are looking at Buffalo to make them a competitive offer. Its not how they work, weither its good or bad, its hard to say. They match catch a break once and a while and find a hidden gem, or they might get more of what they pay for. Thats the way life is going to be as a Sabres fan.

It's actually what it's like to be a Buffalo sports fan. I have high hopes management will make up for the mistakes made over the past three seasons, but I had the same hopes last summer. I really thought Buffalo would've been able to keep either Drury or Briere. I also thought Buffalo would've been able to reach a good deal w/ Campbell. During the summer, they could've had him for what...5 years for a total of 25 million? Why can't management learn from their mistakes. Quit waiting to sign a player you have a good feeling about! Since Miller doesn't negotiate during the month of JULY, Buffalo has to sign him before then. I'm worried a team is going to throw up a large amount of money for Pominville. I'm not talking Vanek salary, but still rather high. The Sabres have to sign Miller and Pominville ASAP. But as I said earlier, I have high hopes management will make up for the mistakes made over the past three seasons, but I had the same hopes last summer.

I was going to say that the Campbell quote left out "...what we think we're worth", but its the same idea. They're selective in the way they spend money and they have to be. Just like what has been said in here already, the real question is whether or not they're spending that money in the right place.

I was going to say that the Campbell quote left out "...what we think we're worth", but its the same idea. They're selective in the way they spend money and they have to be. Just like what has been said in here already, the real question is whether or not they're spending that money in the right place.

I have no problem with the Sabres trading Campbell. I would have had a big problem if they had not traded him and let him walk away at the end of the season.

As far as spending their money wisely, the Roy signing appears to be a GREAT one, Hecht is very solid and Vanek is yet TBD in a BIG way(I have a very bad feeling about Vanek). Based on his performance the last two years, I don't see how they can go wrong locking up Pominville to a long term deal for 4-4.5 mil or so per year. Miller on the other hand is a mystery as to his value. Blame the team defense all you want, blame the fact that he may have been fatigued down the stretch, but his play needs to be a lot better if the Sabres are going to hand over 6+ mil a year to him.

The blueline needs to be rebuilt and they better be careful who they hand out 2+ mil contracts too. You had Tallinder, Lydman & Spacek making 3+ and Campbell, Kalinin & Teppo(if healthy) making 2+ per year. And for that we had a mediocre blueline.

As far as spending their money wisely, the Roy signing appears to be a GREAT one, Hecht is very solid and Vanek is yet TBD in a BIG way(I have a very bad feeling about Vanek).

Just a note on Vanek....I don't think he is the type of player that is every going to look good on a television

broadcast. He is going to park in front of he net - take a pounding - and deflect pucks 1"-12"

It won't be much prettier than watching someone lift squats in a weight room, but he may get 35-50 goals.

We need Bernier or Stafford to be a much stronger presence next year to give him more space.

Just a note on Vanek....I don't think he is the type of player that is every going to look good on a television

broadcast. He is going to park in front of he net - take a pounding - and deflect pucks 1"-12"

It won't be much prettier than watching someone lift squats in a weight room, but he may get 35-50 goals.

We need Bernier or Stafford to be a much stronger presence next year to give him more space.

I realize Stafford is real young but I was hoping for more out of him this year

I have seen Vanek enough in person this year to know that the problem is not the television. By the way, I think Lindy is completely misusing him by "parking him in the front of the net". He has a great shot and is a creative passer and those skills are being wasted by having him be "tip man".

Archived