Fan access to players...

SDS

I believe that the NHL was trying to stress a more open, fan friendly NHL once the strike was over. Have any of you noticed the players around the league being more accessible, doing more "community" events, etc...?

Good question. The Sabres now open their morning skates to the public. But is this really a big step? I remember going to practices all the time back when I was like 13. So that's not making players that much more accessible. I would say the players are more accessible in Montreal...you can just skate out on the ice and take a shot on Theodore there!

They mic the players now...but I don't see that as a big thing. Anyone else have any ideas?

Good question.  The Sabres now open their morning skates to the public.  But is this really a big step?  I remember going to practices all the time back when I was like 13.  So that's not making players that much more accessible.  I would say the players are more accessible in Montreal...you can just skate out on the ice and take a shot on Theodore there! 

They mic the players now...but I don't see that as a big thing.  Anyone else have any ideas?

AFAIK, the morning skate has always been open to the public. I never went to one, but I have gone to a lot of training camps and they were always open and the Sabres even provided roster sheets for the handful of people that showed up. Pretty much all of the players were accessible to the fans back when it was held in Sabreland. The players would talk with the fans when switching rinks and after the practice. I don't know how good access was/is to the players now that camp is held in the MMarena, but last time I went they had one concession stand open so you could buy a beer while watching them work.

I believe that the NHL was trying to stress a more open, fan friendly NHL once the strike was over.  Have any of you noticed the players around the league being more accessible, doing more "community" events, etc...?

I can't speak towards any teams other than the Sabres, but the Sabres do a pretty fair amount of "outreach" type events.

They have held a coaching clinic open to any coach at any level in WNY. They also have had several shooting / skating clinics that were fairly cheap for local youth players.

I don't know what they do with local hospitals / charities, but I'd imagine that if a group asked, the Sabres would probably find a way to get a player or 2 to help out.

Archived