Mike Emrick?

cesna

When did Mike Emrick become the "play by play" ambassador for the NHL/ Olympics? The guy has a hard time keeping up with the play and tends to get into a lot of side discussions during play on the ice. They guy is Average at best!

He's not as bad as most out there ... I think these guys always suck during the Olympics because they are always trying to explain to the non-fans what is going on and they let the color guys go on and on with "human-interest" angles ... always bad for the hard core fans. But your mom is probably interested in knowing that Sergei eats oatmeal before every game because his great uncle did on the 1932 team or whatever ...

Why do I want to say that Jeanneret has done at least one game on a national network? This goes pretty far back though I think. Also, a long time ago, when the Sabres were in a dogfight for a final playoff spot, Jeanneret went on the road and broadcast a critical game of the team the Sabres were chasing. It must have been 86 or 87 because I remember listening to the game and being bitterly disappointed it didn't turn out the Sabres' way.

As for Mike Emrick... I love the guy. His is on a short list of voices that represents the game of hockey to me. It's a short list -- Ted Darling, Rick Jeanneret, Marv Albert, a guy named Chuck Kaiton who used to do the Whalers game, and Mike Emrick. I could probably throw Al Michaels' name in there. I can't hear his voice without being reminded of "Do you believe in miracles?! Yes!" Goosebumps.

Why do I want to say that Jeanneret has done at least one game on a national network? This goes pretty far back though I think. Also, a long time ago, when the Sabres were in a dogfight for a final playoff spot, Jeanneret went on the road and broadcast a critical game of the team the Sabres were chasing. It must have been 86 or 87 because I remember listening to the game and being bitterly disappointed it didn't turn out the Sabres' way.

As for Mike Emrick... I love the guy. His is on a short list of voices that represents the game of hockey to me. It's a short list -- Ted Darling, Rick Jeanneret, Marv Albert, a guy named Chuck Kaiton who used to do the Whalers game, and Mike Emrick. I could probably throw Al Michaels' name in there. I can't hear his voice without being reminded of "Do you believe in miracles?! Yes!" Goosebumps.

Jeanneret did a Fox telecast when the glowing puck was still in play.

Chuck Kaiton? I listened to that summbitch sunday night on Sirius while I wasn't in the house to watch RJ and Jim. I couldn't understand a friggin thing that came out of his mouth. I didn't know who had the puck, if it was Carolina or Buffalo almost scoring... He was honestly the worst play by play guy I've ever heard.

I couldn't disagree more about Emrick. I hate his voice and I hate the Devils. haha. I'm sick of the only national team of announcers lately being Emrick and John Davidson. I hear those two calling a game and I'm switching the channel immediately.

I'm in a bad mood, excuse me today

I remember that game! I think it was Montreal at Minnesota, but it must have been earlier than 86 because I joined the Air Force in 85 and couldn't follow the Sabres for 4 years that close. I'm thinking it was like 82, but that is just a guess.

Let's not forget the great Bob Cole of hockey night in Canada. Even though he does Leaf games, I like the way he does it. It just sounds like hockey to me. I rate him above everyone except RJ.

Let's not forget the great Bob Cole of hockey night in Canada.  Even though he does Leaf games, I like the way he does it.  It just sounds like hockey to me.  I rate him above everyone except RJ.

Bob Cole is good, but the best HNIC pair was the Canadiens old tandem of Dick Irvin, Jr. and Danny Gallivan.

Archived