Rest our guys down the stretch

Rabbit151

I was looking at the schedule to end the year, and it is jam-packed with games. The Sabres are going to the play-offs.

Lindy seems to be getting better and better as a coach each year. I wonder if he will be smart enough to use healthy scratches to keep the team fresh. The Sabres are in the enviable position of being able to win with any number of player combinations ( especially at forward ).

Some of the other teams in the conference overplay players and rely on the same guys to work PP and PK over and over again. The Sabres seem to throw whoever they want out there and get results.

Why not sit Drury, Afinogenov, Kotalik, Pominville etc. on a couple of occasions ( not all in the same game ) to keep them rested?

If Lindy does this, I really think the Sabres are in prime position to go far in the play-offs. The Sabres already out-skate most teams they come up against and the extra rest can only help. I think Marty Biron needs to play at least 5 or 6 games in March to help Miller stay fresh too.

The Sabres played admirably against Carolina, but clearly ran out of gas in the 3rd. Imagine if he had inserted 3 or 4 fresh bodies in at forward for that game ( I don't know if he could have due to injuries ). Other teams can't do this because they have no confidence in their minor-leaguers. Advantage: Sabres.

The Sabres played admirably against Carolina, but clearly ran out of gas in the 3rd. Imagine if he had inserted 3 or 4 fresh bodies in at forward for that game ( I don't know if he could have due to injuries ). Other teams can't do this because they have no confidence in their minor-leaguers. Advantage: Sabres.

Part of the reason teams don't do this (in addition to the primary reason that most team's 14th forward typically is significantly worse than their 4th forward) is that rosters are limited to 23 players which leaves a maximum of 3 players in the press box each night (barring injuries). (MOST teams carry one extra D-man and 2 extra forwards.)

It is especially difficult for the Sabres to switch 4 extra forwards into the lineup, as one of their 3 "spares" is a goalie and when healthy they only have 4 players that could be sent to the minors without clearing waivers (Miller, Vanek, Roy, and Gaustad).

Assuming the Sabres are healthy enough to dress someone else, I believe the two guys who will need to be rested in late March/early April are Miller(he will burn out otherwise) and Teppo(his age dictates that he needs to be rested).

If it gets down to the last few games of the season and the Sabres can't move up or down in the standings, I would then also consider giving some of the other guys a game off who normally log a ton of time. The guys playing in the Olympics would be at the top of the list for a breather.

Yes, I wasn't sure of all those roster requirements and so on. I knew someone would respond to that side of it. Thank you. But, do you think it's possible that injuries are 'manufactured' to help Lindy rest guys. You know, an 'upper body' injury here, a 'lower body' injury there, a bout with the flu, perhaps. I'm sure a few creative temporary illnesses and injuries could be employed to assist the Sabres. :D

Yes, I wasn't sure of all those roster requirements and so on. I knew someone would respond to that side of it. Thank you. But, do you think it's possible that injuries are 'manufactured' to help Lindy rest guys. You know, an 'upper body' injury here, a 'lower body' injury there, a bout with the flu, perhaps. I'm sure a few creative temporary illnesses and injuries could be employed to assist the Sabres. :D

I haven't seen a copy of the CBA, so I don't know the mechanics of it, but a player that has been cleared to play MUST be taken off the IR list and players can only be put on the IR list if they will be out for a minimum of 7 days. So if a player has an injury, like a strained shoulder, that is listed day-to-day; the team can't place him on IR until they know he will miss 7 days. If a player with a "nagging" injury ends up out for a week, he can be retroactively placed on IR so a team could free up a roster space; but not until they know he will miss a week.

I would be very surprised to find a team has been faking injuries.

I'm all for making sure Miller is fresh for the playoffs, and definitely I think Numinnen could use a night off here and there like he used to give Jimmy Patrick ...

But you will not be able to get Drury out of the lineup with a crowbar. Just not happening.

Patrick wasn't a top 4 D like Teppo is. Patrick was always the number 6 or 7 guy.

Agreed ... but with the compressed schedule it wouldn't hurt to get Numminen some rest IF they can add a defenseman so that it doesn't mean Fitzpatrick and Kalinin in the lineup together ...

Isn't Patrick playing in Europe? Why not bring him in as the #7 defensemen. He won't cost you anything and he knows the system inside out?

Patrick is as good an option as I've seen mentioned.

Isn't Patrick playing in Europe? Why not bring him in as the #7 defensemen. He won't cost you anything and he knows the system inside out?

Patrick is as good an option as I've seen mentioned.

I really wondered at the beginning of the year why they didn't bring him back. I heard he was in Europe as well. Anyone know how he is doing over there? Did a quick search, but no luck.

I really wondered at the beginning of the year why they didn't bring him back.  I heard he was in Europe as well.  Anyone know how he is doing over there?  Did a quick search, but no luck.

He's with the Frankfurt Lions of the German Hockey League. He has 7 points in 38 games and is a +1. I'd be a little concerned with his wheels / health as the team has played 48 games. I don't know why he has missed 10 games, nor when he missed the games. I would not mind having him as the #7/8 defenseman, but would be real cautious before making him the #5/6 at this point.

Archived