Names being thrown around

Toddkaz

I like Spacek. When Kalinin is healthy there will be about 20 games left in the season. I give Teppo 4-5 days off out of that and probably let McKee have 2-3 days off. I assume you will probably have 2-6 games lost due to nagging injuries out of the new "top 7". That leaves someone having to sit 6-12 games. My 1st choice for healthy scratch is Campbell. IF the power play suffers due to his absense then I would probably tell Kalinin that we want his groin and shoulder to be 100% and we are resting him.

Considering Fitzpatrick does not fit well into the "new NHL" and there is precious little depth beyond him, I think the Sabres are much better with Mika as the backup and Campbell as the #7 than they are with Marty as the backup and Rory as #7. Remember, although Marty has been the Sabres #1 for 3 seasons, he has played in exactly the same # of NHL playoff games as the other 2 goalies on the roster. He doesn't provide an appreciable amount of more seasoned support than Mika does and which goalie would be a better playoff performer is purely conjecture at this time.

Assuming Danny, Timmy, and Dmitri are all healthy before March 9, the Sabres will have to either make a trade or send Derek, Paul, or Andro to the farm. Considering the Sabres need for D-line depth, I would prefer to see the trade (even over sending Andro down / out).

This is a simplistic way of looking at things but I'm not so sure about giving a team a starting goalie, which Biron will be, so we have a better defensmen sitting in the press box. I'm sure Regier could go out and get a defensemen to add a little depth without giving much of anything up.

If a deal with the Oilers is to be made then Marc Bergeron could be a good fit. He would replace Campbell's offense if you decide to sit Campbell as the #7. He's young and fits the long term plans of the franchise.

The Sabres have all the cards when dealing with the Oilers. Jussi Markkanen is no answer in goal. If they want a starting goalie they should have to pay a price for it.

This is a simplistic way of looking at things but I'm not so sure about giving a team a starting goalie, which Biron will be, so we have a better defensmen sitting in the press box. I'm sure Regier could go out and get a defensemen to add a little depth without giving much of anything up.

If a deal with the Oilers is to be made then Marc Bergeron could be a good fit. He would replace Campbell's offense if you decide to sit Campbell as the #7. He's young and fits the long term plans of the franchise.

The Sabres have all the cards when dealing with the Oilers. Jussi Markkanen is no answer in goal. If they want a starting goalie they should have to pay a price for it.

Spacek is a good defenseman. The Sabres would not be simply upgrading #7 if he were on the roster. He can play the power play and has good size (5'11" 206) but like most Europeans, doesn't always use it. Except for his years in Columbus, he has nearly always been a plus player. He is definitely a top 4 quality defenseman.

I would not mind seeing Bergeron come over from the Oilers, but expect him to be a more difficult pick up due to his age and salary. He is very good on the power play but is small (listed at 5'10" 197, I've seen claims he is closer to 5'9" 190). He would be an upgrade over Campbell, but plays a game very similar to Campbell. IF Bergeron would be picked up, Campbell would definitely be the choice to sit in the press box.

Neither player brings much playoff experience to the team, but I would be more comfortable with Spacek on the backline come playoff time with limited playoff experience than with Bergeron with no playoff experience. Young defensemen with an offensive mindset can be problematic come playoff time (see Phil Housley for reference).

The Sabres may be able to get either for Marty alone based on what Edmonton gave up to get Spacek, but my gut feel is that the Sabres will also give up a forward in a trade.

I'd rather have Staios ... he's a more physical guy, which I think they need ... Kalinin is just a lesser version of Lydman and Tallinder right now, same style. They need another McKee type. I think Staios brings much more than upgrading your #7, the guy would be in the lineup every night.

Whatever the case, as much bad luck as the Sabres have had with injuries this season, they ARE lucky injuries have only hit the forwards where they have depth. One injury to one of the top 4 defenseman, and that is a pretty common thing, and suddenly they have Kalinin and Fitzpatrick BOTH playing. They need another body. It doesn't have to be a big upgrade, but they need someone who doesn't scare the crap out of us every time he is out there, and that's what Fitzpatrick does most of the time.

I guess we'll just have to see. I still would rather have a young defensemen to grow with the rest of the team. Adding 30+ year old players at this point seems like a waste of assests.

In a perfect world I agree with you ... I'm no pro scout, I'm not saying is HAS to be Staios ... but a 32-year old guy like Staios could be around a couple more years. he's making the same money as McKee, nothing outrageous. And who knows, maybe he comes cheaper (in terms of trade value) because of his age ...

I understand your point that if we deal Biron we are giving Edmonton a starting goalie, but he's not a starting goalie to the Sabres. Nor is he a huge part of the future. If they really want to make a run at this thing and feel they can add a piece to get them over the hump without sacrificing the future, they should do it. If Marty comes back to haunt them in the Cup finals, God bless him, i don't see it happening. (I know you were not suggesting that, just sayin ... if it looks lopsided 4 years from now because he is still the man there and the Sabres just got a boring defenseman for a year and a half, so be it. Maybe we get a Cup out of it, and Biron was never going to be that guy in Buffalo.)

Finding that best of both worlds guy who helps a little now AND is young enough to grow with the team is going to be tough, because defensemen with that kind of potential are even more rare than goalies ... everyone has a goalie in their system they like, and you really only need 1 or 2 ... you need 6 defensemen and it is hard to pry them away ...

Guest Guest_Rabbit151

How about Biron for daigle?

Just kidding. nobody out there seems to think he's worth a bag of pucks. I'm still saying I think he fits with the Sabres speed, energy team and may even be able to have a good point scoring run with the right line-mates. I see somehow the discussion curved into a Roy for Daigle proposal.

NO, no no. I think the sabres can pick up a guy like that for a 3rd round draft pick. Yes forward becomes an even bigger log-jam, but I think we can expect to lose a forward or two in a future trade.

I don't see a player for player swap involving a player like Daigle, maybe a draft pick or a guy still playing junior or in the minors.

It's easy to propose trades for Shayne Doan or some big-name, but that doesn't really happen with Darcy. He seems to look for the lesser-lights who can re-gain a spark with the Sabres.

As we talk about possible trades, it may be more interesting to hear what everyone thinks about players who seem to be nobodys who may put it together in a play-off run. Where is that diamond in the rough? Gimme a Chris Kontos or a , what was his name John Slaney? Slater? -played for the Caps. Let's play GM and find a name that isn't an obvious impact player.

Just kidding. nobody out there seems to think he's worth a bag of pucks. I'm still saying I think he fits with the Sabres speed, energy team and may even be able to have a good point scoring run with the right line-mates.

Are you Daigle himself looking for a job? ;)

I'm just kidding, but seriously ...

the guy scored 7 points in 33 games with Pittsburgh ... I was living in Pgh at the time and they kept putting him on Mario's line, on the PP ... it never helped. (Lemieux scored 91 points in 67 games that year, so it's not like he didn't play.) Could there be a more "right" line-mate?

Plus, he's 31 years old ... which would make him the sabres OLDEST forward, other than Grier, who is a whole month older. he's not a phenom with untapped talent anymore ... there's nothing more than what we have seen. he is what he is. Even if we traded two forwards, i'd rather have Paille in the lineup, at least he has room to grow.

Guest pathfinder
Are you Daigle himself looking for a job? ;)

I'm just kidding, but seriously ...

the guy scored 7 points in 33 games with Pittsburgh ... I was living in Pgh at the time and they kept putting him on Mario's line, on the PP ... it never helped. (Lemieux scored 91 points in 67 games that year, so it's not like he didn't play.) Could there be a more "right" line-mate?

Plus, he's 31 years old ... which would make him the sabres OLDEST forward, other than Grier, who is a whole month older. he's not a phenom with untapped talent anymore ... there's nothing more than what we have seen. he is what he is. Even if we traded two forwards, i'd rather have Paille in the lineup, at least he has room to grow.

Daigle is a great player, better than any forward on the Sabres. He just needs a chance to show his superstar potential. In Pittsburgh that is totally impossible

Daigle is a great player, better than any forward on the Sabres. He just needs a chance to show his superstar potential. In Pittsburgh that is totally impossible

Pathfinder, if you were being sarcastic, you should use the smileys. Also, if you were being sarcastic, please disregard the rest of this post.

If you honestly think that Daigle is better than Drury or Briere, then you will likely find yourself catching a whole lot more flak than Todd ever gave DeLuca. I would not take Daigle before any of the following: Kotalik, Dumont, Vanek, Pominville, Gaustad, Hecht, Connolly, Grier, Afinogenov, or Roy. The way he's played the last few games, I would take Pyatt over Daigle. If I was starting a team from scratch, I MIGHT consider Daigle before Mair, but this team has a lot of players that bring what Daigle does, so for this team I would rather have Mair as well. This leaves us with Daigle as the 13th forward (if all are healthy and one forward was traded for Daigle) and I would rather have Paille up from Rochester if Mair couldn't go.

I would not trade for a 31 year old player that can't crack the top 4 lines, much less the top 3.

Minnesota NEEDS offense and Daigle was a healthy scratch in 5 of the last 7 games. I honestly don't see him upgrading any facet of the Sabres organization so I don't want him.

Just kidding. nobody out there seems to think he's worth a bag of pucks. I'm still saying I think he fits with the Sabres speed, energy team and may even be able to have a good point scoring run with the right line-mates. I see somehow the discussion curved into a Roy for Daigle proposal.

NO, no no. I think the sabres can pick up a guy like that for a 3rd round draft pick. Yes forward becomes an even bigger log-jam, but I think we can expect to lose a forward or two in a future trade.

I don't see a player for player swap involving a player like Daigle, maybe a draft pick or a guy still playing junior or in the minors.

It's easy to propose trades for Shayne Doan or some big-name, but that doesn't really happen with Darcy. He seems to look for the lesser-lights who can re-gain a spark with the Sabres.

As we talk about possible trades, it may be more interesting to hear what everyone thinks about players who seem to be nobodys who may put it together in a play-off run. Where is that diamond in the rough? Gimme a Chris Kontos or a , what was his name John Slaney? Slater? -played for the Caps. Let's play GM and find a name that isn't an obvious impact player.

Rabbit,

As I posted in my reply to Pathfinder, I don't see Daigle providing anything that isn't already on this roster. Unless the Sabres were down about 6 forwards (via injury, trade, or whatever), I would not consider dressing him. I wouldn't give up a 7th round pick for him, because I just simply don't see him making the team better in any manner.

Minnesota has much less offense than the Sabres do, and they are not dressing him. I assume there is a reason that they don't want him, and I cannot see what he brings to the Sabres. I could possibly seeing a team like Philly or Florida that doesn't have speed through all 4 lines wanting a player like that, but I don't see him wearing a Shatanic Goathead.

Guest pathfinder
Pathfinder, if you were being sarcastic, you should use the smileys. Also, if you were being sarcastic, please disregard the rest of this post.

If you honestly think that Daigle is better than Drury or Briere, then you will likely find yourself catching a whole lot more flak than Todd ever gave DeLuca. I would not take Daigle before any of the following: Kotalik, Dumont, Vanek, Pominville, Gaustad, Hecht, Connolly, Grier, Afinogenov, or Roy. The way he's played the last few games, I would take Pyatt over Daigle. If I was starting a team from scratch, I MIGHT consider Daigle before Mair, but this team has a lot of players that bring what Daigle does, so for this team I would rather have Mair as well. This leaves us with Daigle as the 13th forward (if all are healthy and one forward was traded for Daigle) and I would rather have Paille up from Rochester if Mair couldn't go.

I would not trade for a 31 year old player that can't crack the top 4 lines, much less the top 3.

Minnesota NEEDS offense and Daigle was a healthy scratch in 5 of the last 7 games. I honestly don't see him upgrading any facet of the Sabres organization so I don't want him.

If you can't see that this team is seriously undersized and lacks toughness to win then you are as blind as a bat and no nothing about hockey. I suggest you rent "hockey for idiots" and get a lesson in what makes a great team. I'm so sick of you internet idiots that can't distinguish between regular season hocekey and the plaoffs. THe sabres won't win a series with this wimpy lineup, they need some tougness, some grit, a real spark plug player. Daigle is that and more

If you can't see that this team is seriously undersized and lacks toughness to win then you are as blind as a bat and no nothing about hockey. I suggest you rent "hockey for idiots" and get a lesson in what makes a great team. I'm so sick of you internet idiots that can't distinguish between regular season hocekey and the plaoffs. THe sabres won't win a series with this wimpy lineup, they need some tougness, some grit, a real spark plug player. Daigle is that and more

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holy cow, I didn't think I'd read anything funnier than PA's post this morning for a long time, but here it is.

Pathfinder, you are a very funny man.

Alex Daigle brings toughness and grit to a team? A player who has NEVER had more than 40 penalty minutes in a season brings toughness and grit? A player that has never scored a goal in the playoffs will provide a spark during the playoffs? Heck, in '97 (when people still thought he MIGHT become a hockey player) he was Ottawa's 3rd leading scorer in the regular season and garnered a grand total of 0 points, 1 minor penalty, and was a MINUS 5 in 7 games. Yep, that's my definition of a "real spark plug player".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Career Regular Season Stats

Season Team GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW GT Shots Pct

2005-2006 Wild 46 5 23 28 -6 12 2 0 1 0 59 8.5

2003-2004 Wild 78 20 31 51 -4 14 6 0 3 0 145 13.8

2002-2003 Penguins 33 4 3 7 -10 8 1 0 0 0 48 8.3

1999-2000 Rangers 58 8 18 26 -5 23 1 0 1 1 52 15.4

1998-1999 Lightning 32 6 6 12 -12 2 3 0 0 2 56 10.7

1998-1999 Flyers 31 3 2 5 -1 2 1 0 1 0 26 11.5

1997-1998 Flyers 37 9 17 26 -1 6 4 0 3 1 78 11.5

1997-1998 Senators 38 7 9 16 -7 8 4 0 2 0 68 10.3

1996-1997 Senators 82 26 25 51 -33 33 4 0 5 2 203 12.8

1995-1996 Senators 50 5 12 17 -30 24 1 0 0 0 77 6.5

1994-1995 Senators 47 16 21 37 -22 14 4 1 2 0 105 15.2

1993-1994 Senators 84 20 31 51 -45 40 4 0 2 0 168 11.9

NHL Totals: 616 129 198 327 -176 186 35 1 20 6 1,085 11.9

Career Playoff Stats

Season Team GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW GT Shots Pct

1997-1998 Flyers 5 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 0

1996-1997 Senators 7 0 0 0 -5 2 0 0 0 0 16 0

NHL Totals: 12 0 2 2 -5 2 0 0 0 0 22 0.0

Averaging 19 penalty min a season isn't exactly what I think of when I envision toughness. He is listed at 6' 195". Most of the Sabres are of comparable size. He can skate but the Sabres have plenty of those guys already. He really brings nothing to the table. Heck, he only has 12 games of playoff experience.

Where to start with this one...I guess for starters, calling someone else an idiot really doesn't show me that you know what you're talking about. The point of this board is so that people can discuss things. If everyone agreed it would get pretty boring around here. But with that being said, as far as I am concerned, even if you made a good point, it loses it's value because you prefaced it with calling dave an idiot.

There has been a lot of criticism of this team for being too small. And in the old NHL that criticism was probably pretty accurate. However, I think the gritty teams in the new NHL are still going to find a problem come playoff time. The faster teams can skate circles around them, and I think the refs are going to continue to be strict in calling obstruction. So when the gritty teams can't keep up and revert to clutching and grabbing, they are going to find themselves in even more trouble.

For reasons already stated, if we need more grit, Daigle is not the answer...but also consider this...He is 6 ft. 203 lbs. How many player on our roster are his size or bigger and have proven that they fit in with our system?? Here are the players on our current roster that are over 200 lbs. (minus Peters and Fitzpatrick).

J.P. Dumont 6'1" 203

Paul Gaustad 6'4" 217

Mike Grier 6'1" 220

Johen Hecht 6'0" 200

Ales Kotalik 6'1" 217

Toni Lydman 6'1" 204

Taylor Pyatt 6'4" 220

Henrik Tallinder 6'3" 210

Thomas Vanek 6'2" 207

Dmitri Kalinin 6'2" 206

Adam Mair 6'2" 215

We already have some forwards who are gritty and fit into the system:

eg: Gaustad, Grier, Mair, Pyatt (lately anyways).

I think we are fine with our current forwards going into the playoffs. The obstruction crackdown is going to continue, and it is going to benefit the Sabres. If not, adding 1 player who is 203 lbs. isn't going to be enough.

Jay McKee 6'4" 201

Where to start with this one...I guess for starters, calling someone else an idiot really doesn't show me that you know what you're talking about. The point of this board is so that people can discuss things. If everyone agreed it would get pretty boring around here. But with that being said, as far as I am concerned, even if you made a good point, it loses it's value because you prefaced it with calling dave an idiot.

There has been a lot of criticism of this team for being too small. And in the old NHL that criticism was probably pretty accurate. However, I think the gritty teams in the new NHL are still going to find a problem come playoff time. The faster teams can skate circles around them, and I think the refs are going to continue to be strict in calling obstruction. So when the gritty teams can't keep up and revert to clutching and grabbing, they are going to find themselves in even more trouble.

For reasons already stated, if we need more grit, Daigle is not the answer...but also consider this...He is 6 ft. 203 lbs. How many player on our roster are his size or bigger and have proven that they fit in with our system?? Here are the players on our current roster that are over 200 lbs. (minus Peters and Fitzpatrick).

J.P. Dumont 6'1" 203

Paul Gaustad 6'4" 217

Mike Grier 6'1" 220

Johen Hecht 6'0" 200

Ales Kotalik 6'1" 217

Toni Lydman 6'1" 204

Taylor Pyatt 6'4" 220

Henrik Tallinder 6'3" 210

Thomas Vanek 6'2" 207

Dmitri Kalinin 6'2" 206

Adam Mair 6'2" 215

We already have some forwards who are gritty and fit into the system:

eg: Gaustad, Grier, Mair, Pyatt (lately anyways).

I think we are fine with our current forwards going into the playoffs. The obstruction crackdown is going to continue, and it is going to benefit the Sabres. If not, adding 1 player who is 203 lbs. isn't going to be enough.

Jay McKee 6'4" 201

Great points.

If people didn't follow the NHL and read some of these threads they would think the Sabres were .500 and struggling for a playoff spot.

.643 winning percentage. If it ain't broke don't fix it. That said. If the Sabres want to toss on an bell or whistle while not messing with the basic theory the foundation is based on I would have no problem with that. ;)

Daigle's agent?............. :P

Archived