Names being thrown around

Toddkaz

This is for entertainment purposes only so the anti-rumor club won't get offended.

Owen Nolan. Word is he could be signed in the next few days actually...There is no freeze on signings. There is a growing and moving market for Owen. San Jose, Calgary and Ottawa have been driving this to date...However today news is that Florida, New Jersey and Colorado may get into the game...The price is expected to not be too high, but the more teams, the more possibilities.

Alexander Daigle could be waived or moved soon according to sources. Alexander is always a temptation....Montreal has shown some interest

Dallas Drake is another player that could be highly coveted by a few teams...He is an experinced leader and a locker room stabilizer...something that will be hard for Ottawa and Philly to turn away from given their recent slides

Another guy that could be moved is Shane Doan. According to sources there was a point earlier this year when it "Almost happened." Then it looked like he settled in, but now his name is popping up again...Phoenix and Gretzky love the guy, so it would take some real young talent to get him, but "he is not an untouchable."

So that is the tip of the iceberg...

I like the souds of Dallas Drake he was almost a Sabre before.

I really don't want Nolan on the Sabres in the new NHL. He's too old and slow and coming off a bad injury. I always liked Nolan, but I don't risk putting him in the Sabres line-up with how well the forwards have skated and played this year.

I do like Alexander Daigle in the new NHL. 2 years age, I would have picked Nolan over Daigle in a heart-beat. Not now. Daigle would actually be a great fit for the Sabres. I think he has really settled into his role as an NHLer and overcome the pressure of being a #1 over-all pick.

Daigle has tremendous speed, who knows, pair him up with fellow Quebecer Danny Briere and maybe, just maybe the Sabres get a big ( good ) surprise. I really like the idea of getting Daigle. The asking price will not be much, he fits the budget, he has speed to burn. I definetly take a chance on him.

Daigle is a dog ... all that talent and never more than 51 points in a season ... and not on pace to top that this season. I don't see what he brings to the table that the Sabres do not already have. he has 5 goals this season, they have plenty of guys who are not great finishers ...

there's already a logjam at forward, unless you are dealing a couple of them for a serious upgrade I don't see the point.

Assuming the Sabres can get the forward ranks healthy, I see no place on the roster for a guy like Daigle who is doing the minimum necessary in order to keep his NHL career from falling off the face of the earth.

Any trade Darcy makes needs to bring a blueliner in return.

This is for entertainment purposes only so the anti-rumor club won't get offended.

Owen Nolan.  Word is he could be signed in the next few days actually...There is no freeze on signings.  There is a growing and moving market for Owen.  San Jose, Calgary and Ottawa have been driving this to date...However today news is that Florida, New Jersey and Colorado may get into the game...The price is expected to not be too high, but the more teams, the more possibilities.

Alexander Daigle could be waived or moved soon according to sources.  Alexander is always a temptation....Montreal has shown some interest

Dallas Drake is another player that could be highly coveted by a few teams...He is an experinced leader and a locker room stabilizer...something that will be hard for Ottawa and Philly to  turn away from given their recent slides

Another guy that could be moved is Shane Doan.  According to sources there was a point earlier this year when it "Almost happened."  Then it looked like he settled in, but now his name is popping up again...Phoenix and Gretzky love the guy, so it would take some real young talent to get him, but "he is not an untouchable."

So that is the tip of the iceberg...

I like the souds of Dallas Drake he was almost a Sabre before.

Nobody on that list is worthy of wearing the goathead...a Doug Weight would have helped a bit, but we need help on the blueline, not upfront, and we're certainly not in need of the old, slow, or underacheiveing like those named below...

You make valid points about Daigle. I know he can't finish. I see him play a lot on tv out here in Western Canada and I like the speed and hustle. I just get the feeling watching him that he still has that miracle season, maybe miracle play-off waiting where he hooks up with the right line-mates and has a big impact. It's a guts call more than anything. It may not be worth the risk to bring him in, you're absolutely right, and I sure don't want to go to the ends of the Earth defending the stats and history of Daigle.

I think he's a good risk, if he doesn't fit, no big deal, he won't cost much to get. I worry more about picking up guys like Nolan and Doan. I think a big-name player carries more risk if added to this team. Does their ego allow them to take reduced ice-time to fit into the structure of this team? That team chemistry is important and who knows how a big-name will change that.

I don't think he's a glider anymore. Maybe I just saw him in the wrong games, but I really noticed the guys speed and hustle. I think he's a changed man from the teen phenom with the world of expectations that comes from being a #1. Again, I'm not going to go to the ends of the earth to defend the guy. It's a guts call.

I think once the roster freeze is lifted we are going to seem some trades. With that some players we haven't heard yet may come available. There is going to be a lot of names thrown around and I think it may be a very active deadline. There are a lot of contenders this year and a lot of teams with holes in their roster.

Also I think if you se a trade with Buffalo you won't have roster problems. I would think Darcy will trade a player or two off the current roster. I think Roy is the most expendible he has a great upside but isn't a very strong players. It seems players like that never really find a home.

I don't think he's a glider anymore. Maybe I just saw him in the wrong games, but I really noticed the guys speed and hustle. I think he's a changed man from the teen phenom with the world of expectations that comes from being a #1. Again, I'm not going to go to the ends of the earth to defend the guy. It's a guts call.

Rabbit, I understand that he isn't your 1st choice on an addition to the team, but I truly wouldn't want him under any circumstances that I can think of.

He has never been a plus player in any season and this year has been a healthy scratch on a team that needs offense (ranked 17th in GPG) in 5 of the last 7 games.

If he were on the Sabres, he would be tied for 9th in team scoring (7th among forwards) and Pominville, Briere, and Dumont are scoring at a better pace than he is.

I assume that you are correct and he doesn't float as much as he has in the past, but the only Sabre I would rather see him in the lineup in place of is Peters. While the odds of him messing up the "team chemistry" are slight, they are greater IMO that the odds of him having a "miracle play-off".

This really doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I was at the game where Alexandre Daigle's NHL career pretty much ended. And I can pinpoint the exact play. Game 1, first round, 1997, Sens-Sabres, first period.

Daigle -- then a 22-year-old phenom with a career-high 26 goals that season, who had had at least one good rush in the game already -- comes wheeling through the neutral zone with the puck, head down. BOOM! Darryl Shannon absolutely blows an unsuspecting Daigle to pieces right at the blue line. I mean, you know the old Peanuts cartoons where Charlie Brown loses all his clothes on a liner through the box? It was like that. Shannon just laid him out.

Daigle didn't show up for the rest of the game. Oh, he was on the ice, but never a factor. In fact, he wasn't a factor for the rest of the SERIES. And after that, Daigle was never the same. In fact, it took him seven more years before he would once again tally double-digit goals.

I think the idea of subtracting a guy like Roy in order to add a guy like Daigle is laughable. Roy is a young, hungry player who is a good playmaker and is the epitome of what it means to be a Sabre this year: a small guy who is a team player. Daigle is a washed up has been..or better yet, a never was. I couldnt agree more with those of you who said defense is what we need. If you don't agree, watch a tape of last night's game vs. Carolina where their defense played smart, physical hockey, and our defense constantly coughed the puck up and made terrible passes (see Fitzpatrick and Lydman, specifically). A guy like Brendan Witt, IMO, would be a great fit. A few other names I will just throw out there for conversation: Sean Hill (2G 11A 13PTS, -4) from Florida, Jim Vandermeer (6G 7A 13PTS, -7, 100PIM) from Chicago, Duvie Westcott (5G 18A 23PTS, -1) from Columbus, and Paul Mara (11G 24A 35PTS, -7) from Phoenix. All are available and affordable, and are significant upgrades over Kalinin, Fitzpatrick, and IMO Lydman, who has been incredibly weak lately.

I think the Sabres can do even better than the guys you list if they want to ... on another thread I posted a list of guys whoe are SUPPOSEDLY available ...

Jassen Cullimore, CHI (was on Tampa's Cup team)

Willie Mitchell, MIN

Flilp Kuba, MIN

Brendan Witt, WAS (has said he would not want to come to Buffalo and now EJ Hradek on ESPN says he will likely end up in nashville)

Sean Hill, FLA

Keith Carney, ANA (return of the long-lost ...)

Ruslan Selei, ANA

I think the Sabres can do even better than the guys you list if they want to ... on another thread I posted a list of guys whoe are SUPPOSEDLY available ...

Jassen Cullimore, CHI (was on Tampa's Cup team)

Willie Mitchell, MIN

Flilp Kuba, MIN

Brendan Witt, WAS (has said he would not want to come to Buffalo and now EJ Hradek on ESPN says he will likely end up in nashville)

Sean Hill, FLA

Keith Carney, ANA (return of the long-lost ...)

Ruslan Selei, ANA

Keith Carney would be a great pick up!

Keith Carney would be a great pick up!

Yeah he would ... but Anaheim is right in the playoff race so they may be buyers, not sellers ... and he would be expensive compared to some of the others ... but his name was on the list so ... who knows ...

For those who missed the other thread and wonder where I got the list, it is here ...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154359&hubname=

and it sites the LA Times, for whatever that is worth ...

Yeah he would ... but Anaheim is right in the playoff race so they may be buyers, not sellers ... and he would be expensive compared to some of the others ... but his name was on the list so ... who knows ...

For those who missed the other thread and wonder where I got the list, it is here ...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154359&hubname=

and it sites the LA Times, for whatever that is worth ...

Yeah, I assumed Anaheim would be a buyer rather than a seller, so I didn't really look at them. All I did was look at teams that are for all intents and purposes out of the playoff race. I agree that the Sabres can do even better, especially if the bait is Biron. Salei or Carney would be great pickups IMO

If we are bringing in ANOTHER body, when everyone gets healthy, who goes to Rochester, gets traded or sits in the press box?

The roster expands after the deadline. With the condensed schedule it might be wise to keep the extra bodies around. Not just because of injuries but to give some of the vets a bit of a rest.

I have yet to see anyone mentioned I would be thrilled to see come to Buffalo. If the Sabres are going to make a trade I would rather see a player with upside who plugs in at the top of the roster. Why waste time with a fourth line forward or a seventh defensmen. If the Sabres feel they are close then go out and get a difference maker. With so many teams still feeling like they have a chance I doubt any difference makers will be out there.

The roster expands after the deadline. With the condensed schedule it might be wise to keep the extra bodies around. Not just because of injuries but to give some of the vets a bit of a rest.

I have yet to see anyone mentioned I would be thrilled to see come to Buffalo. If the Sabres are going to make a trade I would rather see a player with upside who plugs in at the top of the roster. Why waste time with a fourth line forward or a seventh defensmen. If the Sabres feel they are close then go out and get a difference maker. With so many teams still feeling like they have a chance I doubt any difference makers will be out there.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. (I don't necessarily disagree with it either.) ;)

With this being the 1st season of a salary cap and the 1st season that the trade deadline is this early, it's hard to say exactly how deadline deals will go down. I would not be surprised to see a few less trades than in past seasons, but I am not expecting anything close to the lack of movement you see in the NFL.

Edmonton still needs a goalie and has a glut of quality defensemen. I think the most likely scenario is Marty and a forward (w/or w/out draft picks exchanged) to Edmonton for Staios or Spacek.

I also expect to see Darcy make one additional trade, but expect that to be more of a roster tweak. (Hopefully not a Bob Corkum type tweaking, but I doubt it will be for a Brad Richards type player.)

I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. (I don't necessarily disagree with it either.) ;)

With this being the 1st season of a salary cap and the 1st season that the trade deadline is this early, it's hard to say exactly how deadline deals will go down. I would not be surprised to see a few less trades than in past seasons, but I am not expecting anything close to the lack of movement you see in the NFL.

Edmonton still needs a goalie and has a glut of quality defensemen. I think the most likely scenario is Marty and a forward (w/or w/out draft picks exchanged) to Edmonton for Staios or Spacek.

I also expect to see Darcy make one additional trade, but expect that to be more of a roster tweak. (Hopefully not a Bob Corkum type tweaking, but I doubt it will be for a Brad Richards type player.)

Your choice? Staios or Spacek? And who sits when Kalinin is healthy?

The problem I have with alot of the names that get tossed around is that I don't think there is that much ROI.

I'm not sure if (Staios or Spacek) make the Sabres that much better. Are the Sabres better with Marty as the back up and Fitzpatrick as the #7? Or, are they better with Mika as the back up and (your choice) as the #7? Is the difference of the two scenarios worth making the deal for?

Your choice? Staios or Spacek? And who sits when Kalinin is healthy?

The problem I have with alot of the names that get tossed around is that I don't think there is that much ROI.

I'm not sure if (Staios or Spacek) make the Sabres that much better. Are the Sabres better with Marty as the back up and Fitzpatrick as the #7? Or, are they better with Mika as the back up and (your choice) as the #7? Is the difference of the two scenarios worth making the deal for?

I like Spacek. When Kalinin is healthy there will be about 20 games left in the season. I give Teppo 4-5 days off out of that and probably let McKee have 2-3 days off. I assume you will probably have 2-6 games lost due to nagging injuries out of the new "top 7". That leaves someone having to sit 6-12 games. My 1st choice for healthy scratch is Campbell. IF the power play suffers due to his absense then I would probably tell Kalinin that we want his groin and shoulder to be 100% and we are resting him.

Considering Fitzpatrick does not fit well into the "new NHL" and there is precious little depth beyond him, I think the Sabres are much better with Mika as the backup and Campbell as the #7 than they are with Marty as the backup and Rory as #7. Remember, although Marty has been the Sabres #1 for 3 seasons, he has played in exactly the same # of NHL playoff games as the other 2 goalies on the roster. He doesn't provide an appreciable amount of more seasoned support than Mika does and which goalie would be a better playoff performer is purely conjecture at this time.

Assuming Danny, Timmy, and Dmitri are all healthy before March 9, the Sabres will have to either make a trade or send Derek, Paul, or Andro to the farm. Considering the Sabres need for D-line depth, I would prefer to see the trade (even over sending Andro down / out).

Archived