"3 Stars"

ExiledInIllinois

Not sure if this was posted or where I can find the official policy on it?... Was gonna post this in the game thread... But, this has been happening in other games...

I have been listening to the games on Sirius and sometimes they give the other team's (other than the Sabres that is :D ) radio feed/call... Usually when the Sabres lose I don't have the stomach to listen to the other announcers gloat so I turn it off before the postgame show :death: ... I do the opposite when the Sabres WIN, to hear what they have to say... :beer: :D

Well to get to the point... Does each team's announcers get to pick their own "3 Stars" of the game... I have noticed that the last two games, Calgary and now Edmonton, the anouncers there pick totally different (or almost, tonight they were) stars! Aren't the "3 Stars" suppose to be the official ones?... Or is this a "sour grapes" Canadian team thing? Or is this an Alberta thingy? :nana: :nana: Does BFLO and the RJ crew pick different ones for the Sabres?

Today's NHL official "3 Stars" were:

#1- D. BRIERE (48 BFLO)

#2- T. VANEK (26 BFLO)

#3- D. ROLOSON (35 EDM)

The crazy crew up in E-Town:

#1- D. ROLOSON (35 EDM)

#2- S. HORCOFF (10 EDM)

#3- R. MILLER (30 BFLO)

WTF gives? Doesn't WINNING mean anything? And to the victor go the spoils?... Is this something they have been doing for years because nobody outside the radio feed can hear it?... The bamboozling that is...

Inquiring minds want to know... :blink:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not sure if this was posted or where I can find the official policy on it?... Was gonna post this in the game thread... But, this has been happening in other games...

I have been listening to the games on Sirius and sometimes they give the other team's (other than the Sabres that is :D ) radio feed/call... Usually when the Sabres lose I don't have the stomach to listen to the other announcers gloat so I turn it off before the postgame show :death: ... I do the opposite when the Sabres WIN, to hear what they have to say... :beer: :D

Well to get to the point... Does each team's announcers get to pick their own "3 Stars" of the game... I have noticed that the last two games, Calgary and now Edmonton, the anouncers there pick totally different (or almost, tonight they were) stars! Aren't the "3 Stars" suppose to be the official ones?... Or is this a "sour grapes" Canadian team thing? Or is this an Alberta thingy? :nana: :nana: Does BFLO and the RJ crew pick different ones for the Sabres?

Today's NHL official "3 Stars" were:

#1- D. BRIERE (48 BFLO)

#2- T. VANEK (26 BFLO)

#3- D. ROLOSON (35 EDM)

The crazy crew up in E-Town:

#1- D. ROLOSON (35 EDM)

#2- S. HORCOFF (10 EDM)

#3- R. MILLER (30 BFLO)

WTF gives? Doesn't WINNING mean anything? And to the victor go the spoils?... Is this something they have been doing for years because nobody outside the radio feed can hear it?... The bamboozling that is...

Inquiring minds want to know... :blink:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EII, no hard data, but I do know that on the MSG postgame show, Roby, Ray, and even Silvestre pick their own 3 stars, so I would not be remotely surprised that the other radio guys pick their own.

Sounds to me like they thought the Sabres absolutely killed the Eulers but Dwayne kept them in the game. B-)

EII, no hard data, but I do know that on the MSG postgame show, Roby, Ray, and even Silvestre pick their own 3 stars, so I would not be remotely surprised that the other radio guys pick their own.

Sounds to me like they thought the Sabres absolutely killed the Eulers but Dwayne kept them in the game. B-)

I was thinking that but... How do they explain Horcoff being #2?

Briere did win the game in OT PAST Rolo... And Max scored with a broken wrist.

I would agree with your theory if it went: Rolo, Max/Danny/Thomas (you pick) THEN Ryan...

But, Horcoff? at #2... He did score though...

I was thinking that but... How do they explain Horcoff being #2?

Briere did win the game in OT PAST Rolo... And Max scored with a broken wrist.

I would agree with your theory if it went: Rolo, Max/Danny/Thomas (you pick) THEN Ryan...

But, Horcoff? at #2... He did score though...

Yeah, Horcoff scored....8 minutes into the game, and was not heard from again.....except that time when he got drilled by his teammate.

Speaking of the 3 stars, permit me to get on my soapbox for a minute...

Please bring back the televising of the 3 stars on the telecast. I know they stopped this many years ago, but what's the big freakin' deal! :angry: I think we can do without 30 extra seconds of the post game talking heads while they are showing the 3 stars.

As long as I am on my soapbox, one more thing about the broadcast...

TELEVISE THE NATIONAL ANTHEMS!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Please bring back the televising of the 3 stars on the telecast. I know they stopped this many years ago, but what's the big freakin' deal! :angry: I think we can do without 30 extra seconds of the post game talking heads while they are showing the 3 stars.

I think you need to actually get the 3 stars to participate in order to have anything televisable.

I can't remember the last time a visiting player came out for the acknowledgement. Heck, there's been a time or 2 that the Sabres lost and someone got a star and he didn't come back out.

But I agree, if the league would make them come back out, that should be televised on all the broadcasts.

There radio guy on sirius tonight sucked. I almost want to post on an oilers board about how bad he is. Every other word was "uhhh". Didnt know the sabres players, couldnt follow the action at all. I know we are spoiled, but their play by play guy was horrid .

I have XM and got the WGR feed last night. I didn't realize Sirius carried nhl games - is every nhl game on Sirius?

I have XM and got the WGR feed last night. I didn't realize Sirius carried nhl games - is every nhl game on Sirius?

Sirius covers 3-4 NHL games with the home team feed only.

They have a 2 hour show covering the NHL that runs 10AM-noon Eastern. Unfortunately 1 of the rotating hosts is Zig.

They are supposed to cover all the playoff games and for the Finals they are supposed to use both teams' broadcasts.

After that, XM gets the NHL exclusively. I don't know if the 2 hour NHL show goes away or not.

They have a 2 hour show covering the NHL that runs 10AM-noon Eastern. Unfortunately 1 of the rotating hosts is Zig.

They are supposed to cover all the playoff games and for the Finals they are supposed to use both teams' broadcasts.

After that, XM gets the NHL exclusively. I don't know if the 2 hour NHL show goes away or not.

Thanks Dave. You continue to be a font of knowledge. I chose XM because of its nhl & mlb coverage. I was a little surprised/disappointed that it didn't carry EVERY nhl game like it does with mlb. I chalked it up to not fully understanding all the fine print in the advertising. It sounds like by next season I'll get every nhl game on XM.

Kudos for your statement in another thread about waiting for the nhl to finish the 99 Finals! It was brilliant in its understatement.

Thanks Dave. You continue to be a font of knowledge. I chose XM because of its nhl & mlb coverage. I was a little surprised/disappointed that it didn't carry EVERY nhl game like it does with mlb. I chalked it up to not fully understanding all the fine print in the advertising. It sounds like by next season I'll get every nhl game on XM.

Kudos for your statement in another thread about waiting for the nhl to finish the 99 Finals! It was brilliant in its understatement.

I don't think the ad time allows for the three stars or anthems. But really, I would love seeing the three stars of the game... I don't think that 30 seconds is too much to ask for considering MSG/Time Warner drills the same ads into our head over and over again throughout the game to begin with. Yeah we get it already, Sabres fans are Dunkin Donut eating, Molson/Labatt drinking slobs with varicose veins.

I miss the anthems too. At least CBC still has some class and continues to show them.

I don't believe XM will have every game next year. From what I remember of an interview with their programing guy, next year will not see any additional NHL channels, so in the case every team plays on a given night, some games will not be on because of not enough channels. Not sure why they can't take the extra baseball channels and use them part time...

Archived