Sabres Special Teams are truely special.

deluca67

#1 in the Eastern Conference in both Power Play (2nd overall) and Penalty Killing (3rd overall).

Put me at the top of the list of fans who continue to be shocked game in and game out at how the young kids have stepped up and played. Every game they play leads me to thing that maybe the Sabres answers for their needs are already in the system. Unless a team is willing to dump a young player with a load of upside I am becoming more inclined to say "stand pat".

#1 in the Eastern Conference in both Power Play (2nd overall)  and Penalty Killing (3rd overall).

Put me at the top of the list of fans who continue to be shocked game in and game out at how the young kids have stepped up and played. Every game they play leads me to thing that maybe the Sabres answers for their needs are already in the system. Unless a team is willing to dump a young player with a load of upside I am becoming more inclined to say "stand pat".

I am confident that the Sabres are okay from an offensive perspective, but I would still like to see a defensive defenseman added sometime before the playoffs and possibly a 3rd or 4th line forward to add some grit. Other than that, I agree with you. I'm shocked how this season has played out.

#1 in the Eastern Conference in both Power Play (2nd overall) and Penalty Killing (3rd overall).

I was listening to Tony Esposito and Neil Smith yesterday on XM and they were saying that a big reason why teams like CAR, OTT, and Buffalo have become successful is that they never had the money and they were forced to do other things that many organizations do not; developing their kids starting in juniors and they AHL for the style of play that the team plays at the NHL level. This was very true of the Devils organization for a while.

I for one hope that the Sabres and Amerks get this deal done b/c one of the biggest keys to the Sabre success has been grooming these players while not throwing money at FA's.

I always knew the sabres were going to be good this year but with the team we have i believe we would be lucky Great Coaches always say the key to playoff success is depth and experience......we have no depth on defence and our "kids" have no experience and that will show because faith doesn't win. We need to trade for winners and experience and I have faith Darcy will do that.

I knew we would win the regular season but the playoffs are totally different any educated hockey man will tell you that.

The thing that has really impressed me this year is that when guys like Pominville and Paille were called up, they were immediately seeing some time on the penalty kill. Not only does it say a lot about the players, it also says a lot about Lindy Ruff's comfort level with these guys. I've read the articles that mentioned Ruff spending a lot of time down in Rochester last year working with players and its amazing how well that has paid off in their development.

The thing that has really impressed me this year is that when guys like Pominville and Paille were called up, they were immediately seeing some time on the penalty kill. Not only does it say a lot about the players, it also says a lot about Lindy Ruff's comfort level with these guys. I've read the articles that mentioned Ruff spending a lot of time down in Rochester last year working with players and its amazing how well that has paid off in their development.

Agreed. As annoying as the lockout was, a lot of these guys wouldn't have developed as fast without it. Another big thing was probably the fact that the AHL was more competitive last year. Makes the transition from the AHL to the NHL much easier.

That sounds dangerously close to an apology to Darcy and Lindy :o

No need to ever apologize for opinions. I stated several times that Regier is well on his way of proving me wrong. The organIzation as a whole are doing a great job on and off the ice.

The team is palying well and on pace to make a profit. All my bitching and moaning came at a time when neither seemed possible. At the time Regier had yet to prove he could reach either goal. I have nothing to apologize about.

It isn't the first thread like this DeLuca has made. Of the people that really thought (vocalized) that the team was doomed, he is the only one still here posting.

Back to the topic, NHL.com says the Sabres are 5th in the East in 5-5 defense, and 4th in the East on defense overall (GPG). I agree depth is an issue an wince when the word Rory is utter by RJ. But if the trade was Mika for a draft pick or prospect, I like the team's chances.

The kids may not have NHL playoff experience, but the leadership does. Drury, McKee, Lydman, have been to the SC finals. The coach does a pretty good job in the playoffs too.

Archived